Best stuff for cleaning pots?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So my R2R is getting a bit older (like me) and now that I have time to clean it up I was wondering what you experts use to spray into the pots inside. I know some use WD-40, and I noticed that there is an actual WD-40 version for electronics, but since I don't have either and will probably just order something, I figured I'd ask for advice?

So, what's the best stuff to use to clean those babies up!!

So my R2R is getting a bit older (like me) and now that I have time to clean it up I was wondering what you experts use to spray into the pots inside. I know some use WD-40, and I noticed that there is an actual WD-40 version for electronics, but since I don't have either and will probably just order something, I figured I'd ask for advice?

So, what's the best stuff to use to clean those babies up!!
Everyone has their favorite. If you get ten replies you'll probably get ten different suggestions. Here's mine:
https://www.chemtronics.com/electro-wash-px
One of the more agressive cleaners I've used & does not leave a film. Also great for cleaning all those 1970's RCA connections.

I would use a cleaner/lubricant for pots....

Hosa F5S-H6
CAIG DeoxIT FaderLube
DeoxIT FaderLube (formerly CaiLube) is a precision lubricant designed for use on conductive plastic and carbon compound controls. It is also ideal for use on conductive membrane switches and components.

• Cleans, protects, lubricates, and improves conductivity
  • Removes dust, dirt, and drink spills from conductive plastic faders and switches
  • Removes oil, grease, and acid buildup on conductive membrane surfaces
https://hosatech.com/products/accessories/cleaners-conditioners/caig-cleaners-conditioners/f5/

Caig products. CRC products DeOxit.

Some folks say that using slider lubes attracts more dust and makes the problem worse later. That does make some sense to me.

I always use a duster first. then go to lubricants. I have never sprayed WD 40 into a pot. It might be OK if a pot was stuck due to dried lubricant on say a power operated one. I still would stick with a purpose made product though I am not sure how actually important that is. I have always had a display at my local electronics place (an increasingly rare phenom) with a lot to choose from.

I was told of something called Corrosion X by Jim (RIP) from Oregon who helped with some Sansui 9001 cards I sent him for calibration or fixing some years back. I have used it and seems like it lasts longer than Caig products. YMMV, though.

So I ordered DeoxIT Gold G5 and it arrived, but when I read the back it said it was "intended for use on new and recently cleaned surfaces only.

What's up with that? I want to blast all of the switches and pots on a 45 year old reel to reel that probably hasn't been opened in 30 years.

HELP! Did I order the wrong version?

Sorry Jon but you ordered the wrong product. The Gold series is a contact conditioner sealer.... not a cleaner lubricant. You could use it on your phono plugs.... The D series was brought up repeatedly in this thread and it is a contact cleaner lubricant and probably would work just fine.... However, in my previous job, I have destroyed a carbon trace on a circuit board using a cleaner like that... I don't know if the carbon trace was just falling apart but I stopped using a "contact" cleaner lubricant on faders at that time. I suggested above DEOXIT FADER F-SERIES lubricant which is designed for ..... cleaning and lubricating faders.

Deoxit Fader F Series
https://caig.com/fader-f-series/
Deoxit D Series
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/
The D Series would be perfect for your switches...

Last edited:
Sorry Jon but you ordered the wrong product. The Gold series is a contact conditioner sealer.... not a cleaner lubricant. You could use it on your phono plugs.... The D series was brought up repeatedly in this thread and it is a contact cleaner lubricant and probably would work just fine.... However, in my previous job, I have destroyed a carbon trace on a circuit board using a cleaner like that... I don't know if the carbon trace was just falling apart but I stopped using a "contact" cleaner lubricant on faders at that time. I suggested above DEOXIT FADER F-SERIES lubricant which is designed for ..... cleaning and lubricating faders.

Deoxit Fader F Series
https://caig.com/fader-f-series/
Deoxit D Series
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/
The D Series would be perfect for your switches...

Thanks. I figured as much. Well, at least I read the package BEFORE I went and used it. Not sure exactly why I ordered the G series, maybe I was thinking it was a better grade. Oh well. Not a big deal.

So do I go "D" or "F"? I am still a bit confused it seems.

Thanks again

Thanks. I figured as much. Well, at least I read the package BEFORE I went and used it. Not sure exactly why I ordered the G series, maybe I was thinking it was a better grade. Oh well. Not a big deal.

So do I go "D" or "F"? I am still a bit confused it seems.

Thanks again
The F is what I would use on a carbon trace fader pot. It is a cleaner and a lubricant. The D series is meant to clean and lubricate contacts...like switches. or the old style rheostats that were metal to metal contacts. With a fader pot, you have a carbon trace on a circuit board. a metal wiper slides along the carbon trace to add or remove the amount of carbon resistance in the circuit. I would go with the spray can of the F series for the pots. The D series contact cleaner lubricant would be the better choice for cleaning those switches. ... I keep cans of all of these... F, D, and G. They are all useful products to have.
David

Thanks. I will order both the F and the D, since my Akai 630D-SS has both switches and pots that have not been serviced in decades. Whatever I can do to it can't make it worse (one would think!)

(y) THANKS

I just ordered a can of DeoxIT D5S6 + F5S-H6 and also a small bottle of D100L-2DB. I should be ready for anything now. Heck, I might even clean up my HK 8+! What the hell.

Thanks again for the assist, Hamilton59! I appreciate it.

Back