Better Than Ezra - How Does Your Garden Grow? 5.1 DVD-A released 4/27/13

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kruncher, pooping is what we need before we get to hear the mix:)

However, in the documentary they say (about 6 min. into it) that they got hold of the 24-track tapes and had them transfered to a hard-drive, so 96 kHz is still possible I guess;)

Ohh, well that's a totally different ball game....gonna get it then!!!! Thnaks!!!

:smokin

Fantastic!! great find Marek! I've watched both YT clips and it looks like a lot of love (and a lot of talent!) has gone into this new project!

.. a follow-on.. maybe these Music Valet folks could license a ton of Warner 5.1/surround stuff (not just Warner artists/former Warner artists) and take it out of their hands altogether!

let's face it there's a load of surround (5.1 and Quad) mixes in Warners'
vaults just ready to rock 'n roll.. if this new enterprise wanted to get a quick clutch of surround titles under their belt and guarantee healthy sales straight away, it's another angle.

I realise on the basis of this release that is not what this project is all about (they've gone back to the masters to remix, heavy band involvement, etc) but there's another avenue for this new Music Valet initiative.

I'm glad Music Valet have gone with DVD-A technology for their first release (I hope of many!) and I can see why with the take of playing it in your car being a prime motivator.. but one fly in the ointment with the car angle is I thought the ELS DVD-A playback facility had been scrapped in new cars?

Great disc, looking forward to hearing it. More involved musically, fine choice for this type of release. Now, how about releasing some Eels titles!

Watched the video and I will order. Can't wait for new product.

"Music Valet" has joined the forum, so we should be hearing from them soon. :)

Gentlemen, it's great to be part of the forum. Thank you for all of the support! As a few of you have mentioned, my original inspiration for releasing 5.1 titles really was driven by the lack of titles available for those of us with 5.1 technology in our cars. Don't get me wrong, the home theatre experience is also amazing...but there's something about hearing a surround mix in a car with a great system.

I can assure you that I left no stone unturned when it came to the sonic aesthetic of the Better Than Ezra mix. The original 2" tapes were transferred at Blackbird in Nashville by Lowell Anderson, a brilliant engineer. Lowell and I went back and forth and opted for a 24/48 transfer (I realize this could stir some debate :). Also, as mentioned, Jay Ruston was the mix engineer. I've known and worked with Jay many times and he's an amazing talent. He also had the patience to see my vision (along with the band's) all the way through to the final tweaks. Eric Boulanger, from The Mastering Lab, mastered the record entirely in the analog domain. I was out in Ojai, CA in March and got the chance to hear the record in their surround room and it was breathtaking!

I have my eyes set on remixing a few new titles (originally recorded in Stereo) that I'm the process of commissioning now. I'll keep the forum in the loop on all future endeavors! In addition, I've already created a dialogue with the major labels that control most of the 'out of print' titles we pine for. Take it from someone who paid over $125 for Fleetwood Mac Rumors....this and many other titles need to come back in print.

Best,

Richard LaBonte, Music Valet

welcome and that's we should thank you for carrying the torch (y)

I have my eyes set on remixing a few new titles (originally recorded in Stereo) that I'm the process of commissioning now. I'll keep the forum in the loop on all future endeavors! In addition, I've already created a dialogue with the major labels that control most of the 'out of print' titles we pine for. Take it from someone who paid over $125 for Fleetwood Mac Rumors....this and many other titles need to come back in print.

Best,

Richard LaBonte, Music Valet

Richard,
It is very exciting to have someone in the industry who can actually bring us new surround versions of some great recordings. I can hardly wait to hear the results of the Better Than Ezra release and am extremely anxious to see what comes next. Welcome to the forum and thank you for doing what you're doing.

Ordered, thank you all!
And now to introduce Richard to the 7.1 Hyundai Lexicons!!!
;-)

Back