• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Beware eBay scam deals on fake reels and Q8's

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I haven't done the ebay thing in years, but once in a while I check in just to see what's still out there. I noticed that there are quite a few sellers selling "copies" of rare quad reels and Q8's. Trading copies is one thing, but selling them for huge prices is a bit underhanded IMHO. I am not going to judge, but just be careful if you see a Quad reel of a recording that was never released on reel, or if the verbiage states you are buying a "copy". Paying collector prices for copies is a waste of money in my book.

If you are unsure of a sale and are unsure if you should bid, create a post here and our membership will be sure to check it out for you. Many folks here detest this practice of selling fakes. Just because the box has graphics and the reel has a label doesn't mean it's legit.

DSOTM reel.jpg
DSOTM 2 reel.jpg
ccr.jpg
eagles reels.jpg

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Good post, Jon.

I reported loads of these auctions to eBay, both the ones from the guy that's copying quad tapes in to stereo shells, and the ones from the guy who's printing custom art and sticking it on reel to reel tape boxes. I haven't checked lately, but none of the auctions I reported seem to have been pulled and I think that in combination with the money that these con artists are making from this is emboldening not only the original ones but the copycats that have shown up lately. Recently, someone actually paid in the $150 range for a home made Eagles quad reel, which is presumably a copy of either the Q8 or a CD-4 decode! I'm sure it's tempting for people to want to try and cash in on that kind of naivety/stupidity, especially if eBay isn't going to do anything about it.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Good post, Jon.

I reported loads of these auctions to eBay, both the ones from the guy that's copying quad tapes in to stereo shells, and the ones from the guy who's printing custom art and sticking it on reel to reel tape boxes. I haven't checked lately, but none of the auctions I reported seem to have been pulled and I think that in combination with the money that these con artists are making from this is emboldening not only the original ones but the copycats that have shown up lately. Recently, someone actually paid in the $150 range for a home made Eagles quad reel, which is presumably a copy of either the Q8 or a CD-4 decode! I'm sure it's tempting for people to want to try and cash in on that kind of naivety/stupidity, especially if eBay isn't going to do anything about it.
Yup. It's "Buyer Beware", and everyone is free to do what the heck they want to, I just want to be sure that our membership is aware of the situation. Hey, if anyone wants to get these copies and that's the only way they can, well good for them. As long as they know what they're getting.

rustyandi

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
there is a copy of
Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here

Reel/Reel Quad On E/Bay?

Philip Spinner

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I posted this somewhere else at QQ but there is also someone from Moldova selling many stereo reels ( I know, only stereo ) that look fake to me, although I may be wrong. They usually show up in the middle of the night and if you do a search for (reel) worldwide you will probably see them.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Remember those Fake Q8's that were selling on ebay about 8-10 years ago? Literal hack jobs with the notches carved out or melted out with a soldering iron and Q8 labels horribly pasted onto or over stereo labels. Wish I'd saved some pictures of those. Absolutely laughable.

Tubelicious

QQ Supporter
The guy from Moldova is a menace.

He changes his account name frequently, but I mean how many folks from Moldova are selling reels?! ;)

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Anybody have any info on the Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon colored (white, red, orange, yellow, blue) vinyl that is showing up on ebay right now? On the top edge of the label , it says , E M I AUSTRALIA LIMITED ALL RIGHTS OF THE MANUFACTURER AND OF THE OWNER OF THE RECORDED WORK RESERVED. Also , located just above the hole , it shows -33 1/3 RPM, SHVLA.804, QHVL.804B, SIDE 2. The front side of the cover shows an SQ logo . Being sold by MACKOSMOS and others.

privateuniverse

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Anybody have any info on the Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon colored (white, red, orange, yellow, blue) vinyl that is showing up on ebay right now? On the top edge of the label , it says , E M I AUSTRALIA LIMITED ALL RIGHTS OF THE MANUFACTURER AND OF THE OWNER OF THE RECORDED WORK RESERVED. Also , located just above the hole , it shows -33 1/3 RPM, SHVLA.804, QHVL.804B, SIDE 2. The front side of the cover shows an SQ logo . Being sold by MACKOSMOS and others.
I have a blue one. It's a counterfeit. It's not even the quad mix of the album despite the catalog # and the SQ logo.

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I just sent MACKSOMOS a message about the records he is selling. I asked him if these are bootleg copies. I will post his reply when and if he does.

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I just got mackosmos reply (quick !) :
thanks for your interest
i do not know if they are quadrophonic but, they are not official releases as far as i know. they come from europe and i get them from my regular US distributor, thats all know
thanks again. I have noticed that when sellers are vague with their replies or descriptions , they know what they are selling. In my opinion , these records should be sold as bootlegs . Just like the other bootleg records sold on ebay , but they at least acknowledge that the records are bootleg.