BluRay Music Video Poll Big Big Train - EMPIRE [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BD of Big Big Train - EMPIRE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 live release from Big Big Train entitled "Empire", which features a VERY discrete 5.1 surround mix!

(y) :) (n)

71bp67bCIUL._SL1200_.jpg

Watched this a few days after it dropped through my door. Superb release, the video quality is a big improvement over the previous live blu-ray they released.

The audio mix on this is just insane, possibly the most discreet mix I've ever heard. It really envelopes around you. My only issue is that the bass is a bit lacking for me. Whether that is my system (I don't run a sub, just 5.0), I don't know but the previous BBT blu ray mixes had better bass drum punch and more audible bass guitar for me. It's nothing drastic but I wanted a little more Oomph in the lower end.

My only issue is that the bass is a bit lacking for me. Whether that is my system (I don't run a sub, just 5.0), I don't know but the previous BBT blu ray mixes had better bass drum punch and more audible bass guitar for me. It's nothing drastic but I wanted a little more Oomph in the lower end.

Out of curiosity, I A/B’d “Brave Captain” with the prior version on Reflectors Of Light to see if there were any major differences in tonality and/or panning. It seems that basic soundstage is mostly the same, but the Hackney Empire recording has more headroom and the LFE channel is full-range (containing isolated drums & bass guitar)--which could explain some variations in bass response on different systems.

“Brave Captain” (Reflectors Of Light):
Brave Captain Reflectors.jpg

“Brave Captain” (Empire):
Brave Captain Empire.jpg

Just to update and set the record straight, David Longdon's death wasn't anything to do with a car accident. The report I read described that he woke in the early hours -- most likely with a new song in his head, I fancy -- and rose to head down the stairs. However, with the door at the bottom shut tight, all was impenetrable darkness, and he tripped and tumbled down them in the most harmful of ways.

(And just to add, not that anyone has suggested this as far as I'm aware, but the report made it clear that alcohol was not a contributing factor.)

Back