BluRay Music Video Poll Big Big Train - STONE & STEEL [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of STONE & STEEL

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 BluRay concert disc from Big Big Train: STONE & STEEL

Check out their website at: http://www.bigbigtrain.com/main/shop/stone_and_steel

Pre-release discusiion thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21382

stone_and_steel_web.jpg

As the voting options say: great music, great surround, well filmed, music only option and a great overall package. A lot of thought has gone into this release so it would be nice to see it get nominated for a surround sound award somewhere but maybe it's not mainstream enough.:)

Talking and bits in between songs, why o why? I HATE that. Those sections should always be separate in extras.

First impression with the sound is very good. Picture is excellent. Studio where music is being played is beautiful.

Talking and bits in between songs, why o why? I HATE that. Those sections should always be separate in extras.

First impression with the sound is very good. Picture is excellent. Studio where music is being played is beautiful.

The post above yours says there's a music-only option, so why don't you just listen to the disc that way?
Real World Studios is owned by Peter Gabriel, and yes, it is very beautiful indeed. :)

The post above yours says there's a music-only option, so why don't you just listen to the disc that way?
Real World Studios is owned by Peter Gabriel, and yes, it is very beautiful indeed. :)

I just noticed that. Checking it out now. Thanks for head up.

Gabriel must have spent millions on that place :yikes

As the voting options say: great music, great surround, well filmed, music only option and a great overall package. A lot of thought has gone into this release so it would be nice to see it get nominated for a surround sound award somewhere but maybe it's not mainstream enough.:)

Yes indeed, a lot of effort which is appreciated. I would recommend title to everyone on here.

I just noticed that. Checking it out now. Thanks for head up.

Gabriel must have spent millions on that place :yikes

Yes there is a music only option. And it works! I wish Roger Waters could do the same. ;)

...impressive venue, isn't it? I had the immense pleasure to go there when Magenta recorded their "Live at Real World" DVD and should, hopefully, get the chance to go back quite soon. :)

I've listened to this 6 times now, and its a definite 10.

I love this band's music, and the sound and surround quality (in DTS HDMA 5.1) of this release is absolutely stunning and very discrete. I hope that this gains the band many more new fans, it definitely deserves too. Surround fans should jump on this, as should fans of quality thoughtful music. Genesis like in places, very English sound, but I wouldn't say limited to just progressive music lovers (I hate pigeon holing music anyway - to me, music is music). Its good quality well written songs, with great singing and amazing playing.

And to add, its only £15 for over 2 hours of surround music, so every home should have one :brew

On first listen in humble stereo thru headphones. My surround setup is currently dismantled as I'm moving home and all I can say is why the hell didn't I wait a few more days before packing the rear speakers???!!!
The music and performance are truly magnificent. I'm a huge fan of David Longdon's Big Big Train and, if you don't know the band, hurry up and buy this Blu-ray.
In wonder how Genesis would have ended up with David leading.

And now the long wait until I set all my gear up again and be able to give it a proper listen.

I held off voting for a while, just because I didn't think it would be "fair" of me to be the first 10, what with my involvement in the project.

But it's an easy 10. It's just a stunningly good 2h45 video document of some of the best music you could wish to hear, played by a bunch of top musicians who obviously all love what they do, presented in high quality discrete surround. Quality and attention to detail are evident with little touches like the ability to play through all the songs seamlessly cutting out the "rockumentary" material between sections. Wish more bands would do that. And have you found the Easter Egg yet? :)

That I still watch/listen for pleasure after so many plays (must be thirty for some tracks?) is the nest testament I can give it. The Underfall yard still gives me tingles and the brass section on Victorian Brickwork still brings tears to my eyes, even now.

Just finished listening to "Judas
Unrepented". What a greatgreat song, and executed with perfection. Must listen to it again at once...

Watched this in full yesterday (incl all extras and found the easter egg). It really is demo quality as far as I'm concerned. The audio is just stunning, very spacious, dynamic, clear and real sounding (the snap of the snare drum sounds so realistic). Rob Aubrey has done a fantastic job here, one of the absolute best 5.1 mixes I've heard. I'd love for him to re-mix the BBT albums this way at some point in the future, he has a real talent for this.

Nice editing on the video too - there are some shots which I just loved (the one in particular when they pan up to Nick from real close in on the bass drum head, it happens a couple of times and is a really cool shot).

A definitive 10 - no doubt about it.

BTW, Anyone know if the 'Mike Holmes', who authored the disc is in fact the guitarist from IQ?

Watched this in full yesterday (incl all extras and found the easter egg). It really is demo quality as far as I'm concerned. The audio is just stunning, very spacious, dynamic, clear and real sounding (the snap of the snare drum sounds so realistic). Rob Aubrey has done a fantastic job here, one of the absolute best 5.1 mixes I've heard. I'd love for him to re-mix the BBT albums this way at some point in the future, he has a real talent for this.

Nice editing on the video too - there are some shots which I just loved (the one in particular when they pan up to Nick from real close in on the bass drum head, it happens a couple of times and is a really cool shot).

A definitive 10 - no doubt about it.

BTW, Anyone know if the 'Mike Holmes', who authored the disc is in fact the guitarist from IQ?

(y) Absolutely. Makes a nice change, most modern recordings have horrible sounding drums IMO.

Back