BluRay Music Video Poll Big Big Train - STONE & STEEL [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of STONE & STEEL

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Just about the best Blu ray sound I've heard.
I guess it helps that the songs are superb as is the playing. David Longdon if he carries on like this is quickly going to be my favourite vocalist in the history of my music.

Played it about 20 times now, the last time last weekend, when my Daughter & her boyfriend came around, he was enthraled so much that my Daughter said today that all they've been listening to the last week is BBT.

Genuine question - the surround is so good on this can anyone suggest one that is better than this?

Genuine question - the surround is so good on this can anyone suggest one that is better than this?

I agree that it is very good, but it is not 100% perfect in my book. I think that on some songs the surround channels are mixed a little bit too high. Nitpicking, I know, but there are many surround recordings out there that is absolutely perfect to me - three examples that I played recently:
Beck - Sea Change
Van Morrison - Moondance
Bob Marley - Legend
XTC - Drums and Wire

Or maybe you were thinking about live recordings only... Then there is nothing that beats Porcupine Tree's Arriving somewhere... - lossy DTS but still the best I have heard.

Thanks yes I suppose I was talking about Live, (though I suppose the BBT S&S, can be regarded as hybrid Live/Studio).

I passed at the time on the Arriving Somewhere, some of my favorite music of the last 10-15 years has come from the pen of Mr Wilson, so I'll get that now, was it just released on Dvd, IE no Blu ray? Can't find Moondance other then 4 cd deluxe vr, I guess no standalone surround vr?
XTC are on my priority list.....

I agree that it is very good, but it is not 100% perfect in my book. I think that on some songs the surround channels are mixed a little bit too high. Nitpicking, I know, but there are many surround recordings out there that is absolutely perfect to me - three examples that I played recently:
Beck - Sea Change
Van Morrison - Moondance
Bob Marley - Legend
XTC - Drums and Wire

Or maybe you were thinking about live recordings only... Then there is nothing that beats Porcupine Tree's Arriving somewhere... - lossy DTS but still the best I have heard.

I wouldn't pick XTC's Drums and Wires as having the perfect mix. While I love the principle of what's going on, the centre channel seems to be mixed too low, so the vocals are difficult to hear. Not a problem I have with any other 5.1 discs...

I wouldn't pick XTC's Drums and Wires as having the perfect mix. While I love the principle of what's going on, the centre channel seems to be mixed too low, so the vocals are difficult to hear. Not a problem I have with any other 5.1 discs...

No such problem for me... Do you have similar problem with the other XTC discs? or other Steven Wilson mixed releases?

No such problem for me... Do you have similar problem with the other XTC discs? or other Steven Wilson mixed releases?

No that's the only one with the problem every other XTC and everything else by Steven Wilson is just about perfect. That's why it's so odd. I really don't understand why one disc out of my surround sound collection of 120+ discs should be so different.

No that's the only one with the problem every other XTC and everything else by Steven Wilson is just about perfect. That's why it's so odd. I really don't understand why one disc out of my surround sound collection of 120+ discs should be so different.

We're getting way off-topic here (and this is a poll thread after all), but go back and listen to some of SW's other remixes released in 2013 or 2014, and you might hear some more level discrepancies concerning the center channel, especially if yours is calibrated to the correct level.

We're getting way off-topic here (and this is a poll thread after all), but go back and listen to some of SW's other remixes released in 2013 or 2014, and you might hear some more level discrepancies concerning the center channel, especially if yours is calibrated to the correct level.

Yes I have gone too far off topic here. If necessary I'll start a new thread after I've investigated further...

Can anybody confirm the best buying option(s)? Enjoying the heck out of the music on El YouTube.0
When I looked before I think it was only offered on their website or some such.
Is it possible to have too much of a Genesis vibe? Good stuff.

Can anybody confirm the best buying option(s)? Enjoying the heck out of the music on El YouTube.0
When I looked before I think it was only offered on their website or some such.
Is it possible to have too much of a Genesis vibe? Good stuff.

www.bigbigtrain.com
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/506/7184/ - sold out there though, appears to be selling well on this site as this is at least twice it has sold out of its stock.
www.amazon.co.uk appear to have it now but £8 or so more expensive than the official site & more dosh goes in their pocket buying that way, more ways to buy from 3rd parties on amazon I've just noticed, most cheaper than amazon.

Ah noticed you may be from USA, the 2nd pressing which will guarantee NTSC area playback is not released until 4th July, though all people from the USA who have took a chance have had no issues, Neil may be able to further.

www.bigbigtrain.com
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/506/7184/ - sold out there though, appears to be selling well on this site as this is at least twice it has sold out of its stock.
www.amazon.co.uk appear to have it now but £8 or so more expensive than the official site & more dosh goes in their pocket buying that way, more ways to buy from 3rd parties on amazon I've just noticed, most cheaper than amazon.

Ah noticed you may be from USA, the 2nd pressing which will guarantee NTSC area playback is not released until 4th July, though all people from the USA who have took a chance have had no issues, Neil may be able to further.

Thanks for the links. PAL has never been an issue for my OPPO BDP-103. I might still wait for July 4. Might bring the cost down if they send a bunch to some distributor on this side of the pond.

After going through this entire release over the past few days, I am proud to say that this gets a full vote of '10' as there's practically nothing that can and should diminish how incredible this release really is!
I was very worried that this disc would not play properly on my US TVs and Blu-Ray players (and for the record it does not play on my Sony Blu-Ray player in my bed room) but thankfully it plays just fine in the living room, which is where my surround system resides.

Like I said in one of the other BBT threads the other night, if you have this disc and you're unable to play it, send me a PM. I have a way that you can still hear how great the material, surround mix, and fidelity is of this release!

:)

I just received this yesterday and surprisingly, it DOES play on my system. Only one non-critical listening to be certain it played all the way through, but a first impression confirms what others have been saying; this is a MUST HAVE title. Very discrete and pristine audio. But can anyone tell me if the video or audio is compromised in any way, since this a euro spec disc. Sonically, it certainly doesn't seem to be.

But can anyone tell me if the video or audio is compromised in any way, since this a euro spec disc.

Absolutely not. It was filmed (and recorded) in native European standard formats. For info; the band ditched the US format release because the video frame rate conversion was bad. This version will play on most modern US players, but Sony are known to be problematic.

The brass during The Underfall Yard put this m#@therf!*ker over the top. Just lovely.

I'm not ashamed to say that brass section made me cry when I was play testing it!

I had suggested most of the instrumentation surround placings that you hear to Rob during a previous play test and when I listened to the next version, which included all of my recommendations, and realised just how good it sounded I got more than a little emotional. (It helps if you understand the story behind the song, too...)

Back