BluRay Music Video Poll Big Big Train - STONE & STEEL [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of STONE & STEEL

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Over the last few weeks I've had the immense pleasure of play testing the 5.1 mix of Big Big Train's next live BluRay "Merchants of Light", which is scheduled for release before Christmas. Before I started I wondered if Rob Aubrey (who mixed it) could achieve the same stunning results as Stone & Steel, which to me sets a benchmark for how to do surround mixing.

To my amazement he's actually surpassed what he achieved on Stone & Steel. It's absolutely stunning!
Nice to hear... then we have two stellar Bluray concert releases to look forward to this autumn - BBT and Steven Wilson at the RAH. I expect both to be perfect in every aspect ;-))

Over the last few weeks I've had the immense pleasure of play testing the 5.1 mix of Big Big Train's next live BluRay "Merchants of Light", which is scheduled for release before Christmas. Before I started I wondered if Rob Aubrey (who mixed it) could achieve the same stunning results as Stone & Steel, which to me sets a benchmark for how to do surround mixing.

To my amazement he's actually surpassed what he achieved on Stone & Steel. It's absolutely stunning!

Whoa! Awesome news Neil...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where can we get a copy of Stone and Steel at a decent price?

Easier said than done, unfortunately. I had to hunt around for a while until I finally found a secondary seller on Amazon Germany who was selling at a reasonable price, but apparently I got lucky. There's one on Amazon UK right now but they want £79.99 for it. :eek: The ones that are available on other Amazon sites are even more than that. Keep hunting, when you finally score one, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks Neil, the 2cd stereo release is tremendous & sound quality/recording is about as good as it gets.
It's no exaggeration but hearing 'Merchants of Light' is like hearing Made In Japan & Seconds Out & wishing there was a 'video' of it coming out soon.

Last edited:
I know it’s more than likely for naught, but I’d love to get a reasonably priced copy of this amazing performance in stunning surround. If anyone either has a spare one to sell or hears of one at a good price, please PM me immediately!

After my disappointment with Prince's Sign of the Times mix, this release is a breath of fresh air, as it is in a different class.

To say perfect is really doing it a disservice.

It is a fantastic recording where Rob Aubrey's mixing skill is second to none. (should be added to my Desert Islands List)

I could go on with fulsome praise but my surround juices are still in utter amazement at the pure quality of this release.

Another disc I have waited along time to acquire...and boy is it worth every penny

A Big Big 10.

Last edited:
After my disappointment with Prince's Sign of the Times mix, this release is a breath of fresh air, as it is in a different class.

To say perfect is really doing it a disservice.

It is a fantastic recording where Rob Aubrey's mixing skill is second to none. (should be added to my Desert Islands List)

I could go on with fulsome praise but my surround juices are still in utter amazement at the pure quality of this release.

Another disc I have waited along time to acquire...and boy is it worth every penny

A Big Big 10.
Everything you said AND HD video of the performance as well.

I don't think it should be very disappointing when an Atmos concert mix is mostly or all ambience in the surrounds and heights. Most concert mixes are just ambience in the surrounds and it's just expanding that upward. It will be the exception, I predict, when discrete stuff is mixed up there.

I don't think it should be very disappointing when an Atmos concert mix is mostly or all ambience in the surrounds and heights. Most concert mixes are just ambience in the surrounds and it's just expanding that upward. It will be the exception, I predict, when discrete stuff is mixed up there.

Yes most are ambiance, but there are bands that choose to make discrete mix has a standard (StevenWilson, Genesis, King Crimson, RPWL). It must take more work and time or it is just that you need to have a minimum of passion for the surround world to do it.

Yes most are ambiance, but there are bands that choose to make discrete mix has a standard (StevenWilson, Genesis, King Crimson, RPWL). It must take more work and time or it is just that you need to have a minimum of passion for the surround world to do it.
Yes, not to mention Elliot Scheiner, but who mixed the Prince release?

Back