BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that money can be made from new Blu ray audio releases. I was an early adopter of sacd/dvda and bought most of my discs on their initial release date. They were cheap and there were always at least 2 copies when I got to the store. The worst thing that has haunted me is having titles in my hand that I didn't buy because I assumed that more and better discs were coming and I would pick up some of the others later. More discs didn't come and I still search for a few titles I don't have. I would gladly buy ALL of these discs on Blu ray audio if they were released. I am sure most of us feel the same way about discs we have searched for. I find it hard to believe that the music companies do not want my money that I am willing to spend on their product. Instead they want to rerelease something for the 10th time that is mastered worse than the first time I bought it. That is why none of us are record company execs.

Absolutely! As an example, Sony created the Walkman, and then went out and created the market, when they stopped being creative, and actively driving new markets they got into trouble. Modern management seems to be about what they themselves are worth, whereas if they were actually any good at managing, they would be entrepreneurial and create companies/markets/products.

If you read the bio on Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson, it tells the story how around 2000 Apple bought the license for small hard drives that Sony had been working on, but didn't know what to do with. Those drives were used for the first iPods. So, Sony who invented the Walkman, just lost the next market completely to Apple. But it took more. According to the book, Steve had thought the whole thing through from beginning to end, making sure he had content, software for an online store and good software/hardware that was simple to use for the iPod. Oh, yes, and he advertised the iPod heavily on Billboards, Print and T.V.

I saw the video interview again of the head of Universal music all the way through that Otto provided. It's difficult to watch IMHO, the guy is all over the place, literally. He has everything divided into countries, when we all know music knows no borders. He talks about sales in France and that its market is different, blah, blah and look how much we sold there. When in reality, I suspect many of those sales came from stores like Amazon from buyers all over the world. If that's true and thats his thinking it would be terrible if he said, well, these titles don't sell well over here or there, when we already bought it. Again, not knowing your market and the whole idea came from a friend of his over dinner.. ?

That said, he did say as has already been pointed out here that he would put surround on titles when possible. But it doesn't sound like they're going to invest in any new surround mixes. He said all of the first batch will be out to the whole world by mid September. So we'll see what happens in the next month. Let's just see how dedicated over the long run Universal is with this project. One would suspect if history is any guide, buy titles now or be sorry later.

If you read the bio on Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson, it tells the story how around 2000 Apple bought the license for small hard drives that Sony had been working on, but didn't know what to do with. Those drives were used for the first iPods. So, Sony who invented the Walkman, just lost the next market completely to Apple. But it took more. According to the book, Steve had thought the whole thing through from beginning to end, making sure he had content, software for an online store and good software/hardware that was simple to use for the iPod. Oh, yes, and he advertised the iPod heavily on Billboards, Print and T.V.

I saw the video interview again of the head of Universal music all the way through that Otto provided. It's difficult to watch IMHO, the guy is all over the place, literally. He has everything divided into countries, when we all know music knows no borders. He talks about sales in France and that its market is different, blah, blah and look how much we sold there. When in reality, I suspect many of those sales came from stores like Amazon from buyers all over the world. If that's true and thats his thinking it would be terrible if he said, well, these titles don't sell well over here or there, when we already bought it. Again, not knowing your market and the whole idea came from a friend of his over dinner.. ?

That said, he did say as has already been pointed out here that he would put surround on titles when possible. But it doesn't sound like they're going to invest in any new surround mixes. He said all of the first batch will be out to the whole world by mid September. So we'll see what happens in the next month. Let's just see how dedicated over the long run Universal is with this project. One would suspect if history is any guide, buy titles now or be sorry later.

it would appear that not all of the first batch will be out to the whole world by mid-September. several titles from the first batch have already been put back to October here in the UK (incl. Quincy Jones, Ella & Louis, Nina Simone...).

I posted this info in the Rumors thread on the Who's Tommy Super Deluxe set. Official details have emerged on the Who's website. It will include a blu-ray of the original album in 5.1, no bonus tracks or stereo on the blu-ray. The blu-ray will also be available as a stand-alone purchase outside the box set. I assume most of us already have the SACD or DVDA (I have both), but I thought I'd share anyway.

Do we have any clue as to whether Kaya is the original album or equivalent to the 2 CD expanded?
bobmarley-kaya-deluxe2013.jpg

More releases announced.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Nirvana_000000000005843/item_In-Utero_5536496

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Bob-Marley-The-Wailers_000000000038077/item_Kaya_5536885

These have to be released in the U.S. eventually so think i'll wait and start saving. Now you're in control LedMan:mad:@:

Rats ass! I was really looking forward to receiving the Bob Marley HFPA disc on Monday, as repeatedly confirmed by Amazon, but have just received this from them....

"Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Bob Marley "Legend"

Estimated arrival date: September 23 2013 - September 23 2013"

Given that this product is already out elsewhere, what's the hold-up? Hopefully it has been delayed while they create a 5.1 mix and dump the compression, but I'm not holding my breath for that, obviously.

Rats ass! I was really looking forward to receiving the Bob Marley HFPA disc on Monday, as repeatedly confirmed by Amazon, but have just received this from them....

"Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Bob Marley "Legend"

Estimated arrival date: September 23 2013 - September 23 2013"

Given that this product is already out elsewhere, what's the hold-up? Hopefully it has been delayed while they create a 5.1 mix and dump the compression, but I'm not holding my breath for that, obviously.

I'm not surprised and it would be a smart move if HFPA pulled the current version and released a corrected one without the compression issues. Maybe sales are increasing and demand is higher than production.

Preordered a copy from Amazon UK when it was first announced and received this message today

Bob Marley "Legend"
Estimated arrival date: September 30 2013 - October 04 2013

The thought crossed my mind earlier that a few special releases for RSD Black Friday would be a smart move for HFPA.

I've seen some articles from a few months ago by usual Hi-Rez bashers at CNET and others like Forbes online, that discs are dead, blah, blah. The more I've thought about these titles, the more this is what we've asked for, titles that are compatible with everyone's players. No reason for folks not to have a BR player these days (under $100). These titles also offer CD and MP3 quality downloads, which was what we asked for in posts a few years ago. Although many HFPA titles may or may not be for us, they will be there for folks who do not have a SACD/DVD-Audio player and missed titles or whole Hi-Rez revolution first go around.

But, HFPA should know that folks will actually look at the .Wav files and judge them on what is there or not. Of course we will still be disappointed with titles that originally had Multi-Channel mixes on them, only to find they do not and at a higher price. Also, one would hope that HFPA will be sensitive to serve the Surround market that are the most loyal buyers of music by adding the original Quadraphonic mixes. So we'll see.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-high-quality-audio-from-blu-ray-enters-the-mainstream

High Fidelity Pure Audio format brings hi-res audio to Blu-ray
June 21, 2013

Attachments

• HFPA.jpg
    HFPA.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 213
But, HFPA should know that folks will actually look at the .Wav files and judge them on what is there or not.

hmm! i doubt geniuses from UMG, who seriously believes that 5.1 is a recording process, would get such bright insight.

hmm! i doubt geniuses from UMG, who seriously believes that 5.1 is a recording process, would get such bright insight.

HMV site says Nick Drake- five leaves left and Bob Marley - kaya on blu ray audio end of Sept.

I got my email from amazon . uk telling me my marley legend is delayed.

so I purchased tom petty - the live anthology with the blu ray disc.

Will the 2 channel version be the same as what is on the SHM-SACD (which I still haven't bought) ?

All we know so far is that the Tommy BD has a 5.1 mix on it. There is no indication that it also includes a stereo mix. With all the extra room on the disc it should not only include the stereo mix, but the bonus and live tracks as well, but it doesn't look like any of those extras are on there. That would make too much sense, and when have the labels ever done anything that makes sense?

All we know so far is that the Tommy BD has a 5.1 mix on it. There is no indication that it also includes a stereo mix. With all the extra room on the disc it should not only include the stereo mix, but the bonus and live tracks as well, but it doesn't look like any of those extras are on there. That would make too much sense, and when have the labels ever done anything that makes sense?

all those extras wouldn't be "Pure".. but then neither is 5.1 if you believe any of the claptrap these num-nuts at Universal have been going on about with surround music.. so we're lucky to get 5.1 on the blu-ray at all..!

The only potential difference from the SACD (excluding the 2nd disc of bonuses in the SACD Deluxe Ed'n) or the DVD-A (ditto plus the video interview with Pete) could be that this upcoming BD has the new 2013 stereo remaster in Hi-Rez, although its probably compressed to hellsville so what's the high-fidelity friggin' point?! :mad:@:

HMV site says Nick Drake- five leaves left and Bob Marley - kaya on blu ray audio end of Sept.

I got my email from amazon . uk telling me my marley legend is delayed.

so I purchased tom petty - the live anthology with the blu ray disc.

the one time I hope Universal don't futz with this stuff and try to make a 5.1 silk purse out of a stereo sows' ear is with Nick Drake (look what happened with the "A Travesty" SACD.. sorry, I meant "A Treasury".. or did I.. ;)..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back