BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez Fredblue - What's the problem with it? I've had a lot of Sunday morning enjoyment from that album.

I love the music on the Nick Drake SACD, don't get me wrong and fidelity's alright but the surround mix.. I mean, in the absence of so many multitrack masters, why attempt a 5.1 remix when the best that can be done is synthesis or upmixing? i'd rather have stereo and do it myself. I feel the same way about the recent Quatermass "5.1 remix".

...could be that this upcoming BD has the new 2013 stereo remaster in Hi-Rez, although its probably compressed to hellsville so what's the high-fidelity friggin' point?!
So there's a 2013 remaster? Why not use the 2012 remaster from the SHM SACD?

I see from the above picture that Old Quad Guy (at the very least) has the Karlos Kleiber Beethoven HFPA disc. Is it 5.1, and does it sound noticeably better than the 5.1 SACD release of the same material? It is due out in the UK in a few weeks time, and I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

I see from the above picture that Old Quad Guy (at the very least) has the Karlos Kleiber Beethoven HFPA disc. Is it 5.1, and does it sound noticeably better than the 5.1 SACD release of the same material?
Interesting that the SACD has surround and the Blu-ray does not. Another screw-up.

So there's a 2013 remaster? Why not use the 2012 remaster from the SHM SACD?

yes, there's a new 2013 remaster which is coming out next month on CD, Deluxe & Super Deluxe incarnations.

no idea.. these HFPA lot are patently doing whatever they like and sticking two old stereo fingers upto 1.) common sense, 2.) consistency throughout the range, 3.) surround & 4.) the likes of us!

yes, there's a new 2013 remaster which is coming out next month on CD, Deluxe & Super Deluxe incarnations.

no idea.. these HFPA lot are patently doing whatever they like and sticking two old stereo fingers upto 1.) common sense, 2.) consistency throughout the range, 3.) surround & 4.) the likes of us!

correction, sorry, I meant Tommy 2013 mastering out November 11th, in UK at any rate. :eek:

Well, that's how it goes. Mew needs the work. I may as well purchase the SHM SACD before it's sold out.

Interesting. He must have done some good work earlier in his career. I would guess his hearing has been bad for the last few years. Listen to his mastering of Ten Years After Space In Time. Well, actually it's unlistenable.

Interesting that the SACD has surround and the Blu-ray does not. Another screw-up.

Are you saying that the Kleiber Beethoven HFPA disc is definitely 2.0? That makes no sense at all, neither in terms of money nor this spurious audio purity argument.

When Decca remastered that legendary album for SACD they went to the trouble of creating a 5.1 mix, so it already exists and would cost them nothing to put on a spacious BD-A disc. As for purity, or how the music was intended to be heard.... Even if you buy that argument - and I absolutely do not! - classical 5.1 mixes tend not to be adventurous or inventive, they simply recreate the ambience of the concert hall, which is closer to how the music was meant to be heard than anything stereo can achieve.

What a farce!

Look at all the people kissing his ass on the SH forum. Not everybody though.

Don't know how you managed to get that impression, his work has been largely derided on that forum for many years now. Only very recently have one or two of his mastering jobs been given any kind of a thumbs up. The term "mewtilation" originated on the Hoffman Forum several years ago too (2003 I think).

I see from the above picture that Old Quad Guy (at the very least) has the Karlos Kleiber Beethoven HFPA disc. Is it 5.1, and does it sound noticeably better than the 5.1 SACD release of the same material? It is due out in the UK in a few weeks time, and I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Hi, yes, got the scan from article link. I have Karlos Kleiber Beethoven SACD, so I was curious if the new BR version included the 5.1 mix, which I thought well done, engaging. It can still be had for regular resonable price on SACD.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/280

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007KMOX/?tag=sacdinfocom-20

You'll notice though, it looks like the 5.1 mix has been omitted on the SHM-SACD Universal (Japan) version.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6836

http://www.sa-cd.net/search/Kleiber+Beethoven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back