BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bearing in mind the earlier post here about compression on the Bob Marley 'Legend' BD-A, have many of you bought this disc and, if so, how good or bad does it sound?

well I've had it since "Day 1" of the FNAC rollout, here's my general thoughts
(CD I'm comparing to is: Tuff Gong - BMWCD1 / 846-210-2 - Barry Diament mastering)..

- its noticeably louder (there's the compression doing its thing, I guess),
- it has much more bottom-end,
- the digital-sounding gritty grunge from the top end of the old CD is removed,
- also tracks vary in overall volume from song to song compared to that old CD too, which had a more consistent volume level from song to song.

soundwise its not up there with the Stevie SITKOL (which is the best stereo of the HFPA's I've heard so far) but its nice enough if less crankable than the old CD or some of the other HFPA's (Supertramp & Stevie W benefit from a whack up of the wick, this is loud enough at/around volume levels I use for some TV shows & "ok but not brickwalled to death" modern masterings & remasterings, which FWIW's -40db on my Yammy AVR but of course that's a bit of an arbitrary figure)..

..either way I reckon its worth a punt, especially as Amazon UK have it on pre-order for £11.80 at the min., its not bad at all, just don't expect anything totally revelatory like the Stevie Wonder.

Oh UMG get us old classic stuff still available on SACD on BD-A ...i'm feeling so amazed:mad:@:

Anna Netrebko, Claudio Abbado - Sempre libera

Anna Tomowa-Sintow, Agnes Baltsa, Peter Schreier, José van Dam, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan, Wiener Singverein, Helmut Froschauer - Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.9

Berliner Philharmoniker, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Ferenc Fricsay - Dvorák: Symphony No.9 / Smetana: The Moldau / Liszt: Les Préludes

Carlos Kleiber, Wiener Philharmoniker - Beethoven: Symphonies No. 5 & 7

Hélène Grimaud, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Esa-Pekka Salonen Corigliano / Beethoven / Pärt: "Credo"

Herbert Von Karajan, Berlin Philharmoniker - Mahler: Symphony No. 5

Jonas Kaufmann - Wagner

Mutter, Anne-Sophie - Beethoven: Violinkonzert + Violinromanzen

Rollando Villazon - Verdi

High Fidelty Pure Audio Announcement:

We'll be announcing a brand new title in 45 minutes. This is a world exclusive and is an artist that's a personal favourite of ours (and we worked very hard to get it!) Something which we've never released as a HD physical product before...

we will see what comes on this

High Fidelty Pure Audio Announcement:

We'll be announcing a brand new title in 45 minutes. This is a world exclusive and is an artist that's a personal favourite of ours (and we worked very hard to get it!) Something which we've never released as a HD physical product before...

we will see what comes on this

Here we go - Amy Winehouse - Back to Black....

Oh UMG get us old classic stuff still available on SACD on BD-A ...i'm feeling so amazed:mad:@:

i guess they want expand market base. BD players way more can be found in household than SACD players.
the question - do they includes surround mix in titles, reissued as BD-A?

giving an attitude of the guy, who steer BD-A trend to surround approach in music - most likely you're right

I had to (almost painfully) accept a while back these HFPA BD-A's were not going to mark a full-scale re-entry by Universal into the surround music market full-time as was 10 years back.. I think it'll still be occasional crumbs in 5.1, whether HFPA or Deluxe Edition form from Universal. ah well, better than nothing!

they only look into their shelfs ...what can we do to earn money and they don't look what an benefit will bring that could attract the listeners when it will be released in a new surround format...so that morons will do what its good for the revenue is and nothing else.

There are so much things which are unreleased but they have not the balls to show it to the crowd...I don't really care about future releases from UMG thats waste time and money (for sure) :(

they only look into their shelfs ...what can we do to earn money and they don't look what an benefit will bring that could attract the listeners when it will be released in a new surround format...so that morons will do what its good for the revenue is and nothing else.

There are so much things which are unreleased but they have not the balls to show it to the crowd...I don't really care about future releases from UMG thats waste time and money (for sure) :(

it's not even so. i'm not talking about prepared but never printed titles.
at present we face the fact, that person, who is decision maker, have negative attitude toward
surround and as result, the titles, issued previously stereo+surround, now being released as stereo only.
i never can't understand the folks, who have such stupid mentality.
since i discovered advantages of surround mixes over the ordinary stereo, i pretty much lost an interest
to stereo but never objected against stereo to be included with surround on the medium. if someone still
likes and enjoy stereo, this doesn't bother me. so why opponents of the surround cannot tolerate my preferences?

Thats a good attitude Otto. And with BDA, available space on the disc can also not be a problem to include an existing 5.1, as the is enough space.

To be honest, I do not understand why there are 3 stereo streams included. Skip to streams and give us stereo and 5.1 in hi res PCM.

to create surround mixes they have to take money into the account...and that would be happen in these times or the licensing of available surround formats thats cost money that will be never happen..so they will be never recognized as a forward thinking company :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Marley feedback, Fred. I'll take the plunge.

you're welcome Casper :) its certainly a lively yet very listenable presentation with top-end sparkle without being fatiguing.. though I hope you're in a detached property or have understanding neighbours (I'm in a flat but very fortunately have the latter!) as there's some seriously seismic bass going on at times..!!! :p

you're welcome Casper :) its certainly a lively yet very listenable presentation with top-end sparkle without being fatiguing.. though I hope you're in a detached property or have understanding neighbours (I'm in a flat but very fortunately have the latter!) as there's some seriously seismic bass going on at times..!!! :p

I have the Marley pre ordered for Sept.

speaking of the announcement of the Amy Winehouse upcoming release. yes its not my cup of tea , but at least we are seeing new titles come out. wheather 5.1 which i would prefer or just luddite stereo, at least UMG is doing it. there are about 55 tititles now. i just waiting til i can also order them thru amazon us and not amazon uk.

Uh oh... Nina Simone & Quincy Jones HFPA BDA's are DELAYED according to Amazon UK...

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Jones, Quincy "Big Band Bossa Nova"
Estimated arrival date: October 10 2013 - October 12 2013

1.)

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Simone, Nina "I Put A Spell On You"
Estimated arrival date: October 10 2013 - October 12 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back