BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
very true ABMickey! (y) we've heard O.R-M (that's what I'll abbreviate the Universal CEO to from now on) and about the pressing plant deal etc., but there's one partner/cohort (investor, I presume?) in this HFPA format that has yet to pipe up about their involvement (yet they hosted the UK Press Launch at their London HQ in Soho Square) and that is DOLBY.

Yes, Dolby are at the heart of this HFPA format as much as anyone (they were right there at the start with DVD-A too) and yet they are merrily allowing all of this stereo content out, so long as there's a Dolby stream on there, regardless of the number of channels used. Hmm... DOLBY JEZEBELS!! :p :mad:@:

Here's a bit of news - to me at least - it seems that A&M/Interscope are about to release a Blu Ray of Beck's Sea Change on September 20. What I can't find out is whether or not the 5.1 mix will be included, and although it would seem to be an absolute no-brainier for it not to be, who knows. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Here's a bit of news - to me at least - it seems that A&M/Interscope are about to release a Blu Ray of Beck's Sea Change on September 20. What I can't find out is whether or not the 5.1 mix will be included, and although it would seem to be an absolute no-brainier for it not to be, who knows. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

the Sea Change blu-ray was reported on here recently by an eagle-eyed QQ-er who spotted it for pre-order @HMV.jp., its part of the next wave next month (beginning Sept according to some vendors, other sellers giving 3rd week of Sept release date) together with Amy Winehouse, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down, The Stones' Exile On Main Street.

can you imagine the pandemonium (akin to a full-scale riot, I imagine) on the HFPA Facebook page if the Beck blu-ray turns out to be stereo only when they "take great pride" in announcing it to the world..!!! :flame

can you imagine the pandemonium (akin to a full-scale riot, I imagine) on the HFPA Facebook page if the Beck blu-ray turns out to be stereo only when they "take great pride" in announcing it to the world..!!!
It would be quite a relief to me since my stack of Beck SACDs would still have some value.

The response has been great, but beware becoming looked at as a "fanatical bunch of loonies"! :)

Moderation with numbers is the best. Going over the top can backfire on us.

The response has been great, but beware becoming looked at as a "fanatical bunch of loonies"! :)

Moderation with numbers is the best. Going over the top can backfire on us.

To avoid being seen as loonies, people should express themselves moderately - no swearing or threatening - but what do you mean by moderation with numbers? Do you want fewer people to express their passion for surround? That can't be right. There is strength in numbers in matters like this, always, and the HFPA Facebook page will have been established to reach as many people as possible and gauge how much interest there is out there.

To avoid being seen as loonies, people should express themselves moderately - no swearing or threatening - but what do you mean by moderation with numbers? Do you want fewer people to express their passion for surround? That can't be right. There is strength in numbers in matters like this, always, and the HFPA Facebook page will have been established to reach as many people as possible and gauge how much interest there is out there.

I meant lots of different people posting in big numbers, but with moderation, not threats or arrogance. Just sanity! :phones

I meant lots of different people posting in big numbers, but with moderation, not threats or arrogance. Just sanity! :phones

Haven't read their page recently, but people will post with more annoyance, when they're release information is vague, and when set release dates are changed & put back ! i.e. Diana Krall, originally stated for Sept 16th release ( along with classical releases ) now put back to Oct. 7th. HOW COMMITTED ARE THEY REALLY TO THIS FORMAT ??

HOW COMMITTED ARE THEY REALLY TO THIS FORMAT ??

Transcript from recent executive meeting:

So, are we ready to launch HFA Blu-ray Audio?

Yes. We've done almost nothing. No marketing campaign. No one lined up for reviews. No website detailing releases or technical info. No new mastering, just rehashed last available. No 5.1 releases as this might cause unnecessary interest and additional sales. Actually we've managed to get under budget on the planned launch.

Excellent! This should prove that high resolution formats are dead. Then we can show Platinum SHM-CD is what the customers really want. If I may congratulate ourselves, brilliant strategy! Well done. Pay rises all around!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music...tml&utm_content=130827-sale1&utm_campaign=pop

I think Jon is right to urge caution with the angry attacks. I was pleased to see that people had rejected the marketing BS they were spewing, but getting them defensive is not going to help. Lots of people complain about them only being interested in making money. But of course they want to make money. So by continuing to politely but firmly letting them know they will sell more if they include 5.1 mixes we have more chance of that happening.

It is frustrating, though, how little the FB page seems to understand about the product they are promoting: “Not recorded in 5.1” !!

When the new Close To The Edge BDA is released, it will be worth pointing out on the HPFA FB page how well it is selling compared to their own discs (I'm assuming it *will" sell better) – perhaps when they see that more people really do buy BDAs with 5.1 on the accountants might get involved in a positive way.

So by continuing to politely but firmly letting them know they will sell more if they include 5.1 mixes we have more chance of that happening.

this strategy would work if you're dealing with someone who has flexible thinking and open mind to explore new opportunities.
sadly this isn't the case with global head of new business at UMG, who steers HFPA and makes key decisions. if you'll watch
his interview, you'll notice his negative attitude toward the music in surround format. given that on some of the their BD-A
lacking 5.1 albeit surround mixes for this titles exist and was already commercially issued before thus doesn't demand additional
financing involved into remixing - pretty logical comes to conclusion that such move based not on the marketing research (for
the most part these surround titles was already sold out long time ago) but on personal preferences of former air forces officer,
who happend to be head of novelty development group at UMG.

I see your point, Otto. Let's hope that the bean counters have an uprising so that decisions are made purely on financial grounds instead of being biased by artistic considerations. (I can’t believe I said that.) :)

If you can point me at the interview, I'll take a look. (I tried to find something but quickly got sick of the marketing nonsense.)

this strategy would work if you're dealing with someone who has flexible thinking and open mind to explore new opportunities.
sadly this isn't the case with global head of new business at UMG, who steers HFPA and makes key decisions. if you'll watch
his interview, you'll notice his negative attitude toward the music in surround format. given that on some of the their BD-A
lacking 5.1 albeit surround mixes for this titles exist and was already commercially issued before thus doesn't demand additional
financing involved into remixing - pretty logical comes to conclusion that such move based not on the marketing research (for
the most part these surround titles was already sold out long time ago) but on personal preferences of former air forces officer,
who happend to be head of novelty development group at UMG.

I have already pointed out that Universal can get the format very right with releases from Primus being a prime example 5.1 stereo,

I would hate to go into what the format could do period and contemporary Video content etc. that's without the 5.1 etc.. Its like banging your head on a brick wall. Why can DGM get it pretty much right every time but a big company with infintely more assests and money cannot ?

Thanks Otto.

I didn’t watch it fully, but I think I watched the important bits. It is pretty terrifying, isn’t it? It’s all about the brand, so, yes, I can see that once they decided to call it ‘pure audio’ then some dipwit will think that putting 5.1 on will “dilute the brand” or some other nonsense rather than actually help sales. They appear to have spent more thought on what colour the HPFA case should be than whether it contains 5.1 .

He only says he doesn’t like surround for *classical* music. (He thinks classic music is not in surround, so he's obviously never been to a performance in a room with great reverb.) He actually says that if the artist has created a 5.1 “when it’s available, we’ll make it available” (I’m not sure I believe him, though. Did Serge Gainsbourg create the quad for his album that is in 5.1? I doubt it, so he’s broken his own rules.)
He says there are 80 discs planned for the first batch, of which “quite a few” are in 5.1 (Again, I’d like to believe him, but..)

Interesting also about always having the PCM, DTS and Dolby streams. I’ve still not seen any evidence about them being different. If they are all lossless, they ought to be the same.

For others who might be interested, the important question is as 25:00

Why can DGM get it pretty much right every time but a big company with infintely more assests and money cannot ?

my guess because small labels led by enthusiasts and people who is passionate about music.
the big labels headed by career opportunists with lil brain but the way too much of arrogant ambitions.

It is pretty terrifying, isn’t it? It’s all about the brand, so, yes, I can see that once they decided to call it ‘pure audio’ then some dipwit will think that putting 5.1 on will “dilute the brand” or some other nonsense rather than actually help sales. They appear to have spent more thought on what colour the HPFA case should be than whether it contains 5.1 .
He only says he doesn’t like surround for *classical* music. (He thinks classic music is not in surround, so he's obviously never been to a performance in a room with great reverb.)

he claim to be musician and plays drum for blues band in London.
i wish i'm londoner and found which particular band, to visit they
venue and toss at him few rotten tomatos or eggs.

It's clear, the head of Universal does not understand the "stereo" market let alone surround. He rambles on about Spotify sales in Sweden without getting to any point. Problem is, like most big companies these days, rather than innovate, their business model bottom feeds to the lowest common denominator. They refuse to put the blame on themselves for declining sales. Universal is being "reactive" to the market, rather than be proactive with innovation. And without a big advertising push for these discs, no matter what's on them, you're not going to get new customers. One would think Universal would want new customers for the new markets they might create, rather than complain about declining sales and the customers they still have.

I see your point, Otto. Let's hope that the bean counters have an uprising so that decisions are made purely on financial grounds instead of being biased by artistic considerations. (I can’t believe I said that.) :)

If you can point me at the interview, I'll take a look. (I tried to find something but quickly got sick of the marketing nonsense.)

there's this misconception by the big labels that surround music doesn't sell.

well, surround music does sell.. in fact it's sold so well that in a lot of instances it's sold out altogether and the only recourse of late adopters is to do a lot of legwork and scour around for things if you're lucky or be prepared to spend not insubstantial sums on so many now sought after OOP discs.

it's not an outlandish thing to say that for certain titles on SACD & DVD-Audio there are many more people seeking those discs than there are discs in existence to go round. this HFPA programme could help rectify that situation for at least those OOP Universal label discs that are in demand now.

what a crazy situation.. :mad:@:

It's clear, the head of Universal does not understand the "stereo" market let alone surround. He rambles on about Spotify sales in Sweden without getting to any point. Problem is, like most big companies these days, rather than innovate, their business model bottom feeds to the lowest common denominator. They refuse to put the blame on themselves for declining sales. Universal is being "reactive" to the market, rather than be proactive with innovation. And without a big advertising push for these discs, no matter what's on them, you're not going to get new customers. One would think Universal would want new customers for the new markets they might create, rather than complain about declining sales and the customers they still have.

Absolutely! As an example, Sony created the Walkman, and then went out and created the market, when they stopped being creative, and actively driving new markets they got into trouble. Modern management seems to be about what they themselves are worth, whereas if they were actually any good at managing, they would be entrepreneurial and create companies/markets/products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back