Biggest single surround release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Okay. Here's a (loaded) question for the QQ collective: What's the biggest ever single release of surround material in one package?

The largest set I know of is the Talking Heads' "Brick" collection, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there that beats it?

...the reason it's a loaded question is that I'm currently play testing "something" (don't ask - I won't tell until I'm allowed ;) )that is quite a bit bigger than the "Brick" :LB and I'm wondering if it's going to set a new record?

As for the number of single albums in one surround package, Chicago's Quadio and Björk's Surrounded must come close second and third behind Brick respectively.

Spot on haikubass....The Rhino Chicago Quadio box set consisted of 9 BD~As in 192/24 resolution

5182sLxKKpL._SL1000_.jpg

Okay. Here's a (loaded) question for the QQ collective: What's the biggest ever single release of surround material in one package?

The largest set I know of is the Talking Heads' "Brick" collection, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there that beats it?

...the reason it's a loaded question is that I'm currently play testing "something" (don't ask - I won't tell until I'm allowed ;) )that is quite a bit bigger than the "Brick" :LB and I'm wondering if it's going to set a new record?

Quite exciting, Neil. Can you at least divulge the format these discs will be in? And what genre?

[And the first and last letter of the artist or group :ROFLMAO:]

And will I need a second mortgage???????

See the source image

Last edited:
Oh you're right, Quadio has to be the biggest release actually - yes, Chicago IX as a best of album might be debatable, but then again, CTA is actually a double album.

Chicago III and VII were also double albums in addition to CTA!

A tremendous amount of material on those 9 BD~As!

Last edited:
So it looks like the Chicago release will retain the title in terms of number of discs, but I'm guessing that the package I'm testing (sorry, no more clues yet) will ace it (by quite a lot) in terms of total play time. :)

...I also wonder which would win on track count? ...this work in progress has no less than eighty four tracks. :)

So it looks like the Chicago release will retain the title in terms of number of discs, but I'm guessing that the package I'm testing (sorry, no more clues yet) will ace it (by quite a lot) in terms of total play time. :)

...I also wonder which would win on track count? ...this work in progress has no less than eighty four tracks. :)

Since the Chicago QUADIO 9 BD~A set includes 3 double discs .... Hmmmm!

And Neil we're depending on your GOLDEN👂EARS for SONIC PERFECTION. No Snafus like switched channels, out of phase info or missing instruments! The always astute QQ POLICE are EVER VIGILANT!👮‍♂️officer krupke

Last edited:
Since the Chicago QUADIO 9 BD~A set includes 3 double discs .... Hmmmm!
Haha - maybe not then! ;)

And Neil we're depending on your GOLDEN👂EARS for SONIC PERFECTION. No Snafus!

...actually, although it's been a mammoth undertaking, this one has been an absolute joy to play test. I know most of the material *very* well (though there's a substantial quantity of unreleased stuff) and the guy doing the mixing has done a stellar job before he sent them to me, so very little by way of fixing required. Just a lot of enjoyment and a bit of "polishing" suggestions on my part...

Haha - maybe not then! ;)

...actually, although it's been a mammoth undertaking, this one has been an absolute joy to play test. I know most of the material *very* well (though there's a substantial quantity of unreleased stuff) and the guy doing the mixing has done a stellar job before he sent them to me, so very little by way of fixing required. Just a lot of enjoyment and a bit of "polishing" suggestions on my part...

Cannot WAIT! Thanks Neil. And hopefully the authoring of the discs will be smooth as glass and the menu's navigation ... easily accessible!

Then you're be pleased to know Ralphie, that my lunch today consists of mashed potato 🥔 , with liver, bacon and onions, not forgetting some veggies. 🥕

Mike, I could live without the liver although my liver is just fine and would substitute it with grilled chicken marinated to perfection...with roasted veggies!

Total playing time huh? Sooooo, it's a band or artist that likes loonnnnnggg songs. Hmmmm.....lmao Metallica historically likes long songs. So does Maiden. haha, dream on, dream on....

This thread will be the death of me. It really is exciting. Neil comes in, drops a bomb or 2...then poof. Gone. Now we have to drool wondering what it is. Yeah, Bowie would be freaking amazing. But...but...what projects has Neil historically been associated with? Lots, I Know, I just don't recall what all they are. :p

Back