Bill Bruford's Earthworks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I picked up this DVD the other day and just watched it last night. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm familiar with most of Bruford's work but was not familiar with Earthworks, which I guess first existed as a different incarnation back in the mid 80's.

In any event, this turned out to be a quite pleasing DVD. It is basically your standard concert video, and the video itself is pretty stripped down. The video quality is good but not great. The resolution could certainly be better, but I'm not complaining too much. What I really care about is the music.

Earthworks is a stripped-down, back-to-basics Jazz quartet. The compositions are wholly original and penned almost exclusively by Bill. I thoroughly enjoyed the unique compositions, most of which are firmly rooted in the classic 50's jazz style of such greats as Max Roach, Art Blakey and others. However, leanings towards fusion, contemporary jazz and even rock are always just a breath away. The result is an entirely fresh perspective on jazz that is at once melodic, highly rhythmic and spontaneous.

The musicianship is astounding. Bill's relaxed, confidant, spot-on, unique drumming style sets the stage for the remaining players. We have piano, stand-up bass and sax rounding out the quartet. All musicians are astounding performers in their own right and work extremely well together. However, you get a sense that this is new band, still feeling each other out and growing with each other. It's a neat experience.

The concert was recorded in a small club of perhaps 200-300 people. The environment was captured perfectly with an exceptional DD surround recording. The acoustics are excellent and you really do get a sense of "being there". If you like jazz at all, you're sure to get a kick out of this one.

For more info, check out www.billbruford.com/eworks/bio.html

Back