Bill Nelson’s Red Noise: Art/Empire/Industry – The Complete Red Noise Box Set (5.1 surround mix of "Sound on Sound")

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again this forum is costing me money. No pizza this month, but I’ll chew on some Red Noise. Have all the BBD sets, thought I was done, read this thread, briefly tortured myself and ordered it from Amazon. Thanks everyone. Not coming until after 9/15, which is good Janis is becoming concerned with my addiction.

Last edited:
My first impression. Unfortunately the vocals don't sound like there coming from the center channel. The bass is not well isolated either. I still really enjoyed it. Maybe a little on the bright side. The extra tracks are amazing. They all sound like they should have been on the album. They don't sound like demo's but well polished songs. And there all remixed in 5.1 . I've only played it back once but I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm having issues with the DVD's in this box , I have Sony X800 and both discs on insertion have a loud audible buzz that keeps going throughout the menus I have tried a different box (I'm fortunate enough to have a record shop and stock this) and the same problem occurs , anybody out there with the same player having the same problem? A shame as the 5.1 mixes sound amazing
Mine does it too. I have a Sony BDP-S580. In my case, the audible buzz continues throughout the album. It's like it's not sitting properly in the tray or something, and it's vibrating slightly. Anyway, the player is in a shelf with a glass door, so I just close the door and I can't hear the buzz. It's very strange though.

Dang, this album (and mix) is absolutely bonkers!
Fabulous work, @Stephen W Tayler

😎
The mix on this 'adventurous' release is soooo crystal clear.

Fantastic mix by Stephen W. Taylor.
Who, I'm guessing, had a lot of fun in getting the mix to fit the music, especially to this level of perfection!!

Never heard this release back in the day, so it's all brand new.

BONKERS ...but in a nice bonkers way :D

The mix on this 'adventurous' release is soooo crystal clear.

Fantastic mix by Stephen W. Taylor.
Who, I'm guessing, had a lot of fun in getting the mix to fit the music, especially to this level of perfection!!

Never heard this release back in the day, so it's all brand new.

BONKERS ...but in a nice bonkers way :D

cant wait to hear what Stephen has done to Marillion Holidays in Eden....coming soon !

I'm having issues with the DVD's in this box , I have Sony X800 and both discs on insertion have a loud audible buzz that keeps going throughout the menus I have tried a different box (I'm fortunate enough to have a record shop and stock this) and the same problem occurs , anybody out there with the same player having the same problem? A shame as the 5.1 mixes sound amazing
Uh-oh. I have a Sony UBP-X800M2, which I'm assuming is the same player as yours. I was just getting ready to order this, but I think I'll put this one on the back burner.

An update on my problems with the DVD's, I sent an email to the Cherry Red rep, and he had been contacted by another customer who had the same problem so they were aware of a problem, also one of my customers had an issue with the DVD's whilst playing on his Cambridge Audio player, however he also has an Opp and this played them fine, it looks like a faulty batch so hopefully it only affects a few of the box sets, I have returned both my faulty boxes and will order another one.

An update on my problems with the DVD's, I sent an email to the Cherry Red rep, and he had been contacted by another customer who had the same problem so they were aware of a problem, also one of my customers had an issue with the DVD's whilst playing on his Cambridge Audio player, however he also has an Opp and this played them fine, it looks like a faulty batch so hopefully it only affects a few of the box sets, I have returned both my faulty boxes and will order another one.

I have a Cambridge Audio player. While my DVDs play, the machine vibrates, making a strange buzzing sound, which quietens if I press the sides of the machine, but I can hardly remain there doing that. Is this the problem you're referring to? (I have not sighted your earlier posts.) I had wondered if my machine was seeing the end of its days, until I spotted your post just now, and so have double checked, and yes, other DVDs I play are all buzz-free. So it's these two Red Noise discs only. A rather weird thing.

Would you mind letting me know if you have any updates, such as news of replacement discs? Which I figure will be unlikely. :( Thankfully, this is a noisy album musically. so I don't hear the buzzing while playing the music. One of the other DVDs I tested, for example, was Giancarlo Era's lovely Departure Tapes - if the buzzing had been present with that one, it would have been very annoying indeed.

The DVDs from my set bought from Amazon Canada seem OK on my Cambridge CXU and Sony UBPX800M2.
A friend bought at the same time from the same vendor and he’s having problems.
Production date sticker on the protective carton is July 18

I have the same issue and have advised Burning Shed, as that’s where I got mine from. They hadn’t had any complaints regarding the discs, and requested that I send them a short video documenting the problem, which I did. I will share any info I get from them.

I have the same issue and have advised Burning Shed, as that’s where I got mine from. They hadn’t had any complaints regarding the discs, and requested that I send them a short video documenting the problem, which I did. I will share any info I get from them.
I seem to have one of those noisey discs the disc plays. It's just you hear the 'vibration' during play in the quiet bits

Back