Bill Nelson’s Red Noise: Art/Empire/Industry – The Complete Red Noise Box Set (5.1 surround mix of "Sound on Sound")

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
All details here: Bill Nelson's Red Noise: Art/Empire/Industry - The Complete Red Noise 6CD Remastered Box Set - Cherry Red Records

Released August 26, 2022.
• A NEW SIX DISC BOXED SET OF THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS MADE BY BILL NELSON’S RED NOISE – COMPRISING FOUR CDs AND TWO DVDs (NTSC/REGION FREE).
• FEATURING A NEWLY REMASTERED EDITION OF THE ALBUM ‘SOUND ON SOUND’, ALONG WITH NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND NEW STEREO MIXES BY STEPHEN W TAYLER (@Stephen W Tayler).
• INCLUDES A PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED CONCERT RECORDED IN LEICESTER IN FEBRUARY 1979 NEWLY MIXED FROM THE ORIGINAL MULTI-TRACK TAPES, PLUS BILL NELSON’S HOME DEMOS, ADDITIONAL SESSION TRACKS AND A BBC RADIO SESSION FROM 1979.
• WITH BONUS VIDEO CONTENT OF THE PROMOTIONAL VIDEO OF ‘REVOLT INTO STYLE’ AND A SESSION FILMED FOR BBC TV’S OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST IN 1979.
INCLUDES A LAVISHLY-ILLUSTRATED BOOK WITH EXTENSIVE ESSAY BY BILL NELSON AND A FOREWORD BY STEVE WILSON, A FACSIMILE TOUR PROGRAMME, POSTER AND FOUR POSTCARDS.

Following the release of the album ‘Drastic Plastic’ and tour, Bill Nelson disbanded Be Bop Deluxe. Aware of the emergence of the New Wave artists and out of a desire to continually evolve, he announced the formation of Red Noise.

Working with co-producer John Leckie, Bill recorded a new wave masterpiece, a record that would influence a new generation of musicians with its intelligent and punchy material. ‘Sound On Sound’ and the subsequent live shows would divide opinion of both fans and critics, but with the passage of time, the album is now regarded as one of Bill Nelson’s finest works.

This boxed set features the complete Red Noise recordings; the original album newly remastered from the original master tapes, along with stunning new stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound mixes.

The set also includes an outstanding complete live concert recorded in Leicester in 1979, newly mixed from the original 24-track tapes, a session recorded for BBC Radio One and a further Red Noise studio session from May 1979 plus a bonus CD of Bill Nelson’s home demos. The set also includes video material, including the video for ‘Revolt Into Style’ and the band’s session for the BBC TV show The Old Grey Whistle Test from February 1979.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE
SOUND ON SOUND REMASTERED
1 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric)
2 For Young Moderns
3 Stop / Go / Stop
4 Furniture Music
5 Radar in My Heart
6 Stay Young
7 Out of Touch
8 A Better Home in the Phantom Zone
9 Substitute Flesh
10 The Atom Age
11 Art / Empire / Industry
12 Revolt into Style Bonus tracks
13 Wonder Toys That Last Forever
14 Acquitted by Mirrors (B-side of ‘Furniture Music’ EP)
15 Stay Young (BBC session 17.02.1979)
16 Furniture Music (BBC session 17.02.1979)
17 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric) (BBC session 17.02.1979)
18 Out of Touch (BBC session 17.02.1979)

DISC TWO

LIVE AT THE DE MONTFORT HALL, LEICESTER 1979
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric)(live)
2 For Young Moderns (live)
3 Furniture Music (live)
4 Out of Touch (live)
5 Stop-Go-Stop (live)
6 Atom Age (live)
7 Possession (live)
8 Superenigmatix (live)
9 Substitute Flesh (live)
10 Phantom Zone (live)
11 Radar in My Heart (live)
12 Art / Empire / Industry (live)
13 Revolt into Style (live)
14 Stay Young (live)
15 For Young Moderns (Encore) (live)

DISC THREE
SOUND ON SOUND NEW STEREO MIX
2 For Young Moderns
3 Stop / Go / Stop
4 Furniture Music
5 Radar in My Heart
6 Stay Young
7 Out of Touch
9 Substitute Flesh
10 The Atom Age
14 Acquitted by Mirrors
15 My Light (previously unreleased) Recorded for the “Sound on Sound” sessions
16 Instantly Yours
17 Ideal Homes
18 Disposable

DISC FOUR

SOUND ON SOUND
96 kHz/24-BIT 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX
NEW STEREO MIX ORIGINAL STEREO MIX
1 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric) (5.1 mix)
2 For Young Moderns (5.1 mix)
3 Stop / Go / Stop (5.1 mix)
4 Furniture Music (5.1 mix)
5 Radar in My Heart (5.1 mix)
6 Stay Young (5.1 mix)
7 Out of Touch (5.1 mix)
8 A Better Home in the Phantom Zone (5.1 mix)
9 Substitute Flesh (5.1 mix)
10 The Atom Age (5.1 mix)
11 Art / Empire / Industry (5.1 mix)
12 Revolt into Style (5.1 mix)

DISC FIVE
ADDITIONAL RED NOISE SESSIONS
96 kHz/24-BIT 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIXES
NEW STEREO MIXES ORIGINAL STEREO MIXES
1 Wonder Toys That Last Forever (5.1 mix)
2 Acquitted by Mirrors (5.1 mix)
3 My Light (5.1 mix) Recorded for the “Sound on Sound” sessions
4 Instantly Yours (5.1 mix)
5 Ideal Homes (5.1 mix)
6 Disposable (5.1 mix)
RAK Studios, London May 1979

VIDEO CONTENT
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1 Revolt into Style (Promotional video 1979)
2 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric) (BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test – 1979)
3 Furniture Music (BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test 1979)
4 Stay Young (BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test 1979)

DISC SIX
BILL NELSON RED NOISE DEMOS 1978 – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1 Acquitted by Mirrors (demo)
2 For Young Moderns (demo) 3 Stop Go Stop (demo)
4 Furniture Music (demo)
5 Radar in My Heart (demo)
6 Stay Young (demo)
7 Out of Touch (demo)
8 A Better Home in the Phantom Zone (demo)
9 Substitute Flesh (demo)
10 The Atom Age (demo)
11 Revolt into Style (demo)
12 Waiting for the Night (demo)
13 My Light (demo)

RED-NOISE-Art.jpg

Last edited:
I heard the album only once on YouTube a couple years ago. I really liked it and hoped for this to be mixed in 5.1. I'm very excited for this release. Now play the waiting game for vendors in the US to list it.

Neither have I but understand its an evolution from Drastic Plastic. I am happy to take the plunge any way

Best not to think of it as an evolution from Drastic Plastic or any previous Be Bop Deluxe album, or you may be in for a shock. This is a new wave album. New wave was an evolution from punk. So it's best to think of this album that way. If you can imagine that Bill Nelson had been punk a year before, and then he threw this out, blowing everyone away, you'd be closer to what this is like. So, something like when Ultravox went from punk to new wave.

I bought the album when it came out. I was way more into punk and new wave rather than Be Bop Deluxe at the time (though I had some of their singles), so the album was right down my alley. And the album remains my all-time favourite of his.

I'm very excited it has become a part of this release series. But be warned, it's very different! :)

All details here: Bill Nelson's Red Noise: Art/Empire/Industry - The Complete Red Noise 6CD Remastered Box Set - Cherry Red Records

Released August 26, 2022.
• A NEW SIX DISC BOXED SET OF THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS MADE BY BILL NELSON’S RED NOISE – COMPRISING FOUR CDs AND TWO DVDs (NTSC/REGION FREE).
• FEATURING A NEWLY REMASTERED EDITION OF THE ALBUM ‘SOUND ON SOUND’, ALONG WITH NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND NEW STEREO MIXES BY STEPHEN W TAYLER (@Stephen W Tayler).
• INCLUDES A PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED CONCERT RECORDED IN LEICESTER IN FEBRUARY 1979 NEWLY MIXED FROM THE ORIGINAL MULTI-TRACK TAPES, PLUS BILL NELSON’S HOME DEMOS, ADDITIONAL SESSION TRACKS AND A BBC RADIO SESSION FROM 1979.
• WITH BONUS VIDEO CONTENT OF THE PROMOTIONAL VIDEO OF ‘REVOLT INTO STYLE’ AND A SESSION FILMED FOR BBC TV’S OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST IN 1979.
INCLUDES A LAVISHLY-ILLUSTRATED BOOK WITH EXTENSIVE ESSAY BY BILL NELSON AND A FOREWORD BY STEVE WILSON, A FACSIMILE TOUR PROGRAMME, POSTER AND FOUR POSTCARDS.

Following the release of the album ‘Drastic Plastic’ and tour, Bill Nelson disbanded Be Bop Deluxe. Aware of the emergence of the New Wave artists and out of a desire to continually evolve, he announced the formation of Red Noise.

Working with co-producer John Leckie, Bill recorded a new wave masterpiece, a record that would influence a new generation of musicians with its intelligent and punchy material. ‘Sound On Sound’ and the subsequent live shows would divide opinion of both fans and critics, but with the passage of time, the album is now regarded as one of Bill Nelson’s finest works.

This boxed set features the complete Red Noise recordings; the original album newly remastered from the original master tapes, along with stunning new stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound mixes.

The set also includes an outstanding complete live concert recorded in Leicester in 1979, newly mixed from the original 24-track tapes, a session recorded for BBC Radio One and a further Red Noise studio session from May 1979 plus a bonus CD of Bill Nelson’s home demos. The set also includes video material, including the video for ‘Revolt Into Style’ and the band’s session for the BBC TV show The Old Grey Whistle Test from February 1979.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE
SOUND ON SOUND REMASTERED
2 For Young Moderns
3 Stop / Go / Stop
4 Furniture Music
5 Radar in My Heart
6 Stay Young
7 Out of Touch
9 Substitute Flesh
10 The Atom Age
14 Acquitted by Mirrors (B-side of ‘Furniture Music’ EP)
15 Stay Young (BBC session 17.02.1979)
16 Furniture Music (BBC session 17.02.1979)
17 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric) (BBC session 17.02.1979)
18 Out of Touch (BBC session 17.02.1979)

DISC TWO

LIVE AT THE DE MONTFORT HALL, LEICESTER 1979
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric)(live)
2 For Young Moderns (live)
3 Furniture Music (live)
4 Out of Touch (live)
5 Stop-Go-Stop (live)
6 Atom Age (live)
7 Possession (live)
8 Superenigmatix (live)
9 Substitute Flesh (live)
10 Phantom Zone (live)
11 Radar in My Heart (live)
12 Art / Empire / Industry (live)
13 Revolt into Style (live)
14 Stay Young (live)
15 For Young Moderns (Encore) (live)

DISC THREE
SOUND ON SOUND NEW STEREO MIX
2 For Young Moderns
3 Stop / Go / Stop
4 Furniture Music
5 Radar in My Heart
6 Stay Young
7 Out of Touch
9 Substitute Flesh
10 The Atom Age
14 Acquitted by Mirrors
15 My Light (previously unreleased) Recorded for the “Sound on Sound” sessions
16 Instantly Yours
17 Ideal Homes
18 Disposable

DISC FOUR

SOUND ON SOUND
96 kHz/24-BIT 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX
NEW STEREO MIX ORIGINAL STEREO MIX
1 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric) (5.1 mix)
2 For Young Moderns (5.1 mix)
3 Stop / Go / Stop (5.1 mix)
4 Furniture Music (5.1 mix)
5 Radar in My Heart (5.1 mix)
6 Stay Young (5.1 mix)
7 Out of Touch (5.1 mix)
8 A Better Home in the Phantom Zone (5.1 mix)
9 Substitute Flesh (5.1 mix)
10 The Atom Age (5.1 mix)
11 Art / Empire / Industry (5.1 mix)
12 Revolt into Style (5.1 mix)

DISC FIVE
ADDITIONAL RED NOISE SESSIONS
96 kHz/24-BIT 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIXES
NEW STEREO MIXES ORIGINAL STEREO MIXES
1 Wonder Toys That Last Forever (5.1 mix)
2 Acquitted by Mirrors (5.1 mix)
3 My Light (5.1 mix) Recorded for the “Sound on Sound” sessions
4 Instantly Yours (5.1 mix)
5 Ideal Homes (5.1 mix)
6 Disposable (5.1 mix)
RAK Studios, London May 1979

VIDEO CONTENT
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1 Revolt into Style (Promotional video 1979)
2 Don’t Touch Me (I’m Electric) (BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test – 1979)
3 Furniture Music (BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test 1979)
4 Stay Young (BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test 1979)

DISC SIX
BILL NELSON RED NOISE DEMOS 1978 – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1 Acquitted by Mirrors (demo)
2 For Young Moderns (demo) 3 Stop Go Stop (demo)
4 Furniture Music (demo)
5 Radar in My Heart (demo)
6 Stay Young (demo)
7 Out of Touch (demo)
8 A Better Home in the Phantom Zone (demo)
9 Substitute Flesh (demo)
10 The Atom Age (demo)
11 Revolt into Style (demo)
12 Waiting for the Night (demo)
13 My Light (demo)

RED-NOISE-Art.jpg
And I will get further behind on my unplayed media collection. 🙄

The box set sure looks generous. I like how they have been able to group everything Red Noise together in a self-contained way, even though there is so much more if you factor in Bill Nelson's solo and BBD stuff. There's even a live concert that appears to be entirely Red Noise.

A similar thing would be if anyone ever did a Rikki Nadir (Hammill alter ego) box set, with absolutely no Hammill solo or VDGG. How great that would be too!

And they've even done the extra songs in 5.1, which is fab. Interesting that Wilson does the liner notes while SWT does the mixing.

I have never heard it. Are there any be bop tracks that share a vibe?
I bought this when it was released and remember being a bit underwhelmed. Being a big fan of Be-Bop, this album left me wishing he hadn't broken up the band. I had a strong case of deja vu 40 years later when Steven Wilson put PT on hiatus. Furniture Music was my favorite song on the record, but it's hard for me to equate this with any Be-Bop Deluxe album. Not bad, but different. I'll have to reacquaint myself with it. Might be one of those titles that really improves with a 5.1 mix.

The box set sure looks generous. I like how they have been able to group everything Red Noise together in a self-contained way, even though there is so much more if you factor in Bill Nelson's solo and BBD stuff. There's even a live concert that appears to be entirely Red Noise.
The Leicester Red Noise live concert includes two songs from BBD's Drastic Plastic - Superenigmatix and Possession - tougher and faster!!

Back