Billy Joel's "52nd Street" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Coming in Oct. '18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Entertainer is a close as it gets. I think that's a great song and was a hit, yes? I grew up with it on my Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2.
It was a hit. Barely. Top 40 maybe? But not something that radio has touched since it left the charts. Always loved the song though.

And nothing else on the album ever gets played at all?

“Turnstiles” produced no hits but “New York State is Mind”, not even a single, went on to be a classic.

Such is how it goes.

I thought I'd no import duty & tax gathering fee to pay as there was no 'tax invoice' when I collected my package from my neighbour's when I got back from my work trip at the weekend, and I get back today from seeing King Crimson last night and I have a FedEx Bill, £22.80 (£10.80 tax & £12 fee :mad: ) so its cost me 4500Yen +2900Yen shipping -460Yen (CDJapan Points) = £46.74+the £22.80 so a whopping £69.54 so around US$90 :cry:

I thought I'd no import duty & tax gathering fee to pay as there was no 'tax invoice' when I collected my package from my neighbour's when I got back from my work trip at the weekend, and I get back today from seeing King Crimson last night and I have a FedEx Bill, £22.80 (£10.80 tax & £12 fee :mad: ) so its cost me 4500Yen +2900Yen shipping -460Yen (CDJapan Points) = £46.74+the £22.80 so a whopping £69.54 so around US$90 :cry:

That's really obscene, Duncan. Those are box set prices. And I realize you can't purchase it locally, even from AmazonUK, as their prices are hardly cheap anymore, especially on imported SACDs.

That's really obscene, Duncan. Those are box set prices. And I realize you can't purchase it locally, even from AmazonUK, as their prices are hardly cheap anymore, especially on imported SACDs.
Yep, problem was its one I wanted and missed first time round. At least we have D-V over here with their excellent prices.

Yep, problem was its one I wanted and missed first time round. At least we have D-V over here with their excellent prices.

I was going to mention D~V. Their prices cannot be beat. I hope they can keep up the momentum without drastically raising prices. And you'd probably pay $90 for an OOP original BJ 52nd Street in a plastic case...but STILL....

Got my copy today! Second time I’ve ordered from CDJapan and used the slowest/cheapest shipping with the notification that it might take up to 12 weeks to get my order and I got it in less than two!

Not the most discreet mix ever, but Billy’s vocal is isolated in the center channel and there are various organ, guitar, brass and percussion bits isolated to the rears throughout. “Rosalinda’s Eyes” might be the most “active” track with all the little percussion and brass parts spread out around the room. Guitar comes up on right-rear a lot. Nothing wrong with the mix at all other than I think the vocal is too hot in the center and I bring it down a bit. I have that same issue with “The Stranger”.

This and “Bitches Brew”, which also came today, are my first experience with these 7” packages. They don’t skimp on the goodies, that’s for sure, but yeah...they are oddballs on my shelf. I guess I’ll have to buy more so that they have their own little “section”? Lol.

The Jeff Beck's come highly recommended if you like the music. Wired in particular is an amazing quad mix.
I do like “Blow by Blow” a lot. :)

When did they start the 7” thing? I bought a copy of “In A Silent Way” just a few weeks ago and although I know that was released a few (many?) years ago, that one was still in a standard jewel case.

It’s a nice idea. Makes reading the font easier for us older dudes. Although most of it is in Japanese which I can’t read. Lol.

And in the case of “52nd Street” at least, you have to keep in the plastic bag or all the goodies will fall out!

Are there any other 7 inch surround SACDs available besides these?

-Santana "Lotus"
-Billy Joel "52nd Street"
-Miles Davis "Bitches Brew"
-Carole King "Tapestry"
-Jeff Beck Group
-Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow"
-Jeff Beck "Wired"
-Jeff Beck Group "Rough And Ready"
-Beck, Bogert And Appice

Are there any other 7 inch surround SACDs available besides these?

-Santana "Lotus"
-Billy Joel "52nd Street"
-Miles Davis "Bitches Brew"
-Carole King "Tapestry"
-Jeff Beck Group
-Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow"
-Jeff Beck "Wired"
-Jeff Beck Group "Rough And Ready"
-Beck, Bogert And Appice

You can also add two recent Rolling Stones remasters: Their Satanic Majesties Request and the upcoming Beggars Banquet and there is also a SONY Japan Stereo SACD title [of 80's music] also released in special 7" packaging.

Don't know if you saw my earlier post but having been caught with fees on bitches brew I opted for airmail with no tracking for this purchase and it arrived in 5 days (including a weekend) with no fees, so could be worth trying on your next purchase.

You can also add two recent Rolling Stones remasters: Their Satanic Majesties Request and the upcoming Beggars Banquet and there is also a SONY Japan Stereo SACD title [of 80's music] also released in special 7" packaging.
Is “Their Satanic Majesties Request” the best version you’ve ever heard (clarity, dynamic range, fidelity, etc)? (I’m starting to get that little itch deep inside telling me to start a new collection... 7 inch stereo SACDs...please stop me!)

Is this a watered down version of the original 5.1 of 52nd Street? Or a new remix, or same mix and mastering as old?

I got lost in the thread and forgot where we were.

Is “Their Satanic Majesties Request” the best version you’ve ever heard (clarity, dynamic range, fidelity, etc)? (I’m starting to get that little itch deep inside telling me to start a new collection... 7 inch stereo SACDs...please stop me!)

Don't look at Snood :ROFLMAO:

I only have the original Abkco Stereo version and this version [I opted not to purchase the SHM~SACD] and to these ears, I would say it's definitive. Besides, that 7" packaging is gorgeous replicating the original 3D lenticular cover on the LP but minus the Beatles floating around in the background.

Has the original MONO version and the newly remastered Stereo version on 2 separate SACDs. Haven't listened to the MONO, though.

I also pre~ordered Beggars Banquet from CDJapan in that special 7" packaging with the original cover art. LOVE Bob Ludwig's mastering prowess.

This title is now officially out of print as of last week.

There are still a handful of copies available on Discogs and e-bay so here's your last chance to buy before sellers ask over $100 for it.

Back