HiRez Poll Birdsong at Morning - SIGNS AND WONDERS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Birdsong at Morning - SIGNS AND WONDERS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 release from the band Birdsong at Morning entitled "Signs and Wonders".
This Blu-ray Disc contains the main album and an instrumental album in 5.1 surround, and each song contains an accompanying video!
The album can be ordered here: https://www.birdsongatmorning.com/store/signs-and-wonders
Thanks to QQ user @sperezmore for the scans!

(y):)(n)

Vh8wr6t.jpg

VurryRz.jpg

TS1byda.jpg

Short take: Brilliant!

In terms of new music (as opposed to remixed classic releases, or old quads), this is my most anticipated release of the year. I REALLY like the last release, A Slight Departure, so this was bound to be a pleaser. And they have delivered. The music and lyrics are pure Americana bliss - my friend who lives in Lowell MA where they hail from says "they are New England Conservatory musicians and they've been around awhile. Alan Williams is now chair of the Department of Music at UMASS Lowell. They are heavy hitters as far as their musicianship goes." And I believe it. Pleasing melodies and lush arrangements with never a whiff of cheese.

The surround mix is not strong on isolated elements, although there are some nice touches in that department. In general it feels like they have just opened up the mix such that everything is well voiced and clear. The recording seems flawless.

The surprise of the release is the cover of Richard Davies/Roger Hodgson (of Supertramp) composition "Logical." This has SUCH a different arrangement than the familiar version from Supertramp, or even solo Hodgson versions. I find it to be quite beautiful.

One note is that each song on the Blu-ray is accompanied by video. Of course this can be defeated by just shutting off the display.

To be fair, I am only in my second listen through, but I have no problem jumping to the "logical" conclusion. A 10 for me. If you try the music and like it, I do not believe you will be disappointed with the mix.

WHOA...10.

The only 'logical' score. Arrived today from burningshed, well before its advertised date. Now on its third spin and it wont be its last. Just buy it. I'll take the flak, should there be any. Fourplay has given us his view and I cannot add anything but my support and thanks for the background info.

Wow Neil Wilkes has knocked this out the park, the music is not always to my taste, though there are some that are just gorgeous the last song study in blue is one of the best things have heard in ages and the mix brilliant. Neil needs more work if SW is scaring back he should step up to the plate

I gave it a 9, would have liked a 'rockier' tune or two, and after a few weeks I've never warmed up to The Logical Song cover. Loved 'All The Sadness' and the video was very well done (except for the floating leaf that someone is holding :p) Great sonics though, I'm at the point I'd buy just about anything they put out in surround. :)

I gave it a 9, would have liked a 'rockier' tune or two, and after a few weeks I've never warmed up to The Logical Song cover. Loved 'All The Sadness' and the video was very well done (except for the floating leaf that someone is holding :p) Great sonics though, I'm at the point I'd buy just about anything they put out in surround. :)

I think the Logical Song BELONGS to Supertramp....period....and their version will always be ingrained in my head. Accept NO substitutes. I did knock off a point for that.

^^^What he said^^^:D I'm not against them doing covers though, hope they try again with something a little different.

When the Logical Song came on it was jolting to me......at first, I said WTF to myself......too lethargic a pace. They could've injected a little more pizzazz into the song. And covers are fine, but be somewhat respectful of the original.

You might chuckle, but my favorite version of the Beatles' Ticket To Ride was done by Karen Carpenter. IMO, her sultry and quite gorgeous version, in my mind, was better than the original.

I love Supertramp’s original recording, but in many ways I think the Birdsong At Morning arrangement is more appropriate to the lyrics. I’m generally a “music first/lyrics last” kind of listener, but I found the lyrics much more meaningful after listening to Birdsong At Morning’s arrangement. I’m happy to have both versions.

I love Supertramp’s original recording, but in many ways I think the Birdsong At Morning arrangement is more appropriate to the lyrics. I’m generally a “music first/lyrics last” kind of listener, but I found the lyrics much more meaningful after listening to Birdsong At Morning’s arrangement. I’m happy to have both versions.

I agree. I thought Birdsong's interpretation does a beautiful job of conveying the song's lyrics. In fact, prior to listening to the Birdsong rendition, I never really bothered to listen what the song was about. I've also never listened to an entire Supertramp album, so you can say I'm a pretty casual listener to the Supertramp catalog.

Hi all - thought folks might like to know that Burning Shed will now be stocking our previous CD/Blu-ray, A Slight Departure. Available for pre-order now, shipping Nov. 16. Alas, the freight costs for our 4-CD/1DVD box set Annals of My Glass House, makes it cost prohibitive for Burning Shed to stock. But we're thrilled that there has been enough interest in our music to have this great company make more of our catalog available at a more affordable total cost for UK/Europe.

Okay: this is the album that brought me around. I'd previously checked out A Slight Departure, and while I couldn't deny the brilliant mixes, the immaculate production, the brainy songwriting, the accomplished musicianship, and the smart arrangements, I just didn't connect with the earnest, indie-folkie-postpop sensibility. (Sorry, @Birdsong At Morning!) But on a recent trip to Portland (Oregon), I came across a reviewer's copy of this one for six bucks, and I couldn't resist. And I'm glad I didn't.

I like some songs--the jazz-inflected ones, especially--better than others, but it's an outstanding production overall. The mixes are powerful, and I think the videos generally add to the overall effect. The turning point for me? I hesitate to confess it, since there are few bands I revile more than Supertramp. But it was "The Logical Song," which in BAM's rendition is a revelation. Not enough so to make me reconsider Supertramp, mind you, but certainly enough to make me a Birdsong at Morning fan. I'm gonna go out and buy a legit copy of this album now so that the band at least sees a few bucks from my purchase! Solid "9" from me.

Last edited:
Playing catchup so I thought I'd buy it.

Kinda grew on me , to.
Well after a couple listens back to back, that is.
I didn't recognize "The Logical Song" , and well this is a different rendition for certain.
At the final instrumental minutes of TLS , Birdsong steals this as their own with orchestral strings and the bands guitar and drums. WELL done , on Signs And Wonders.
FWIW , my copy from the shed has no indication whatsoever that it's in a surround bluray and cd . "Wondered what Sign" I needed , but all's just fine 'cus she has the cd/bluray inside afterall. Whew!

So I'll be playing this more frequently , and oh yes great surround throughout btw.

NINE .

Back