Bizet: Carmen (Bernstein, 1973) Quadraphonic Blu-ray Audio from Deutsche Grammophon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you watch Jean-Marie Geijsen's video posted above on May 2, you will hear him tell that the "exquisite job" he did in transferring the DG Bernstein Carmen quad master tapes to DSD for Pentatone's SACD release consisted of "not changing anything," but rather "keeping his fingers off" and "just doing a 1-to-1 transfer" of the quad masters exactly as I had left them in DG's Hannover post-production studios 45 years ago. Although I have not yet heard it, I hope and trust that DG did the same in preparing its recent Blu-ray Pure Audio release.

If you watch Jean-Marie Geijsen's video posted above on May 2, you will hear him tell that the "exquisite job" he did in transferring the DG Bernstein Carmen quad master tapes to DSD for Pentatone's SACD release consisted of "not changing anything," but rather "keeping his fingers off" and "just doing a 1-to-1 transfer" of the quad masters exactly as I had left them in DG's Hannover post-production studios 45 years ago. Although I have not yet heard it, I hope and trust that DG did the same in preparing its recent Blu-ray Pure Audio release.
Welcome back! Not to sidetrack this, but have you heard DG's issue of your mix of the Steinberg recording of The Planets / Also Sprach? Any thoughts on recording/mixing that one? And any thoughts on other recordings DG/UMG should tackle?

I have not heard the Planets/Zarathustra in quad for about 48 years now, but I remember it very well. This was one of our first quad recordings in Symphony Hall, and it was made with ambiance only in the back channels. I was a co-executive producer (with Karl Faust), but, as such, cannot claim credit for the spectacular mix, which belongs solely to the late Günter Hermanns.

As far as other quad recordings are concerned, I would love to see the complete Ravel with BSO/Ozawa come out in quad on Blu-ray, as well as the BSO/Ozawa Berlioz Damnation and Fantastique (even though they're already on SACD from Pentatone), and the Russo Street Music and Three Pieces for Blues Band with Corky Siegel and Ozawa/SanFrancisco. And the Fiedler/Boston 1812 Overture, with cannon to left of you, cannon to right of you, and cannon behind you as you ride into the Valley of Death (with apologies to Alfred, Lord Tennyson).

I have not heard the Planets/Zarathustra in quad for about 48 years now, but I remember it very well. This was one of our first quad recordings in Symphony Hall, and it was made with ambiance only in the back channels. I was a co-executive producer (with Karl Faust), but, as such, cannot claim credit for the spectacular mix, which belongs solely to the late Günter Hermanns.

As far as other quad recordings are concerned, I would love to see the complete Ravel with BSO/Ozawa come out in quad on Blu-ray, as well as the BSO/Ozawa Berlioz Damnation and Fantastique (even though they're already on SACD from Pentatone), and the Russo Street Music and Three Pieces for Blues Band with Corky Siegel and Ozawa/SanFrancisco. And the Fiedler/Boston 1812 Overture, with cannon to left of you, cannon to right of you, and cannon behind you as you ride into the Valley of Death (with apologies to Alfred, Lord Tennyson).
Thanks! Would that apply to the Hindemith recordings as well? I was hoping DG would include them as bonus tracks, but no such luck. Part of me wonders how Steinberg would have thought about quad - he was getting on in years and doesn't seem the type to be enthusiastic about it a la Stokowski.

I suspect UMG could be convinced to do a box of Ozawa's early Ravel recordings, especially given that transfers have already been done of Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin; Ma Mére l'Oye; Valses nobles et sentimentales; Une barque sur l'Océan and Menuet antique. Pentatone also managed to release the quad mixes of his Beethoven 5th Piano Concerto with Christoph Eschenbach and Music for Percussion, Strings & Celesta, but sadly Pentatone is no longer doing quad remasters.

One other option for the Fiedler you might not be aware of is the UK label Dutton Vocalion, which has released a substantial number of classical and pop quad transfers lately: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=3. Most of their classical releases have been from Sony's vaults, but they might be interested? They have already released a two-fer of Fiedler's pop albums: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4598

I was the studio producer (Aufnahmeleiter) as well as executive producer for the Steinberg Hindemith recordings. Steinberg certainly heard those as well as the Planets and Zarathustra in quad during playbacks, as we did all our monitoring during the sessions in that mode. I remember that he liked the sound, but wasn't an active participant in managing it at the electrical level in the same way that Stokowski apparently had been.

I think that Pentatone's foray into the DG quad vaults, which I instigated, may have been cut short by its success - - i.e., DG discovering that there was a market for this medium after all, albeit perhaps more on Blu-ray than SACD. But, after the initial instigation, I have not made any specific release suggestions to DG, as they are in a better position than I to determine economic viability of their various quad recordings.

I was surprised to learn of the duttonvocation Fiedler package, and am confused by it, as it seems to contain a lot of tracks which I recorded for DG, mixed in with a lot of tracks that I didn't, and the latter must have come from RCA, excepting that I was unaware of RCA having recorded the Pops in quad before we got started there in 1970. So I'm confused!

I was the studio producer (Aufnahmeleiter) as well as executive producer for the Steinberg Hindemith recordings. Steinberg certainly heard those as well as the Planets and Zarathustra in quad during playbacks, as we did all our monitoring during the sessions in that mode. I remember that he liked the sound, but wasn't an active participant in managing it at the electrical level in the same way that Stokowski apparently had been.

I think that Pentatone's foray into the DG quad vaults, which I instigated, may have been cut short by its success - - i.e., DG discovering that there was a market for this medium after all, albeit perhaps more on Blu-ray than SACD. But, after the initial instigation, I have not made any specific release suggestions to DG, as they are in a better position than I to determine economic viability of their various quad recordings.

I was surprised to learn of the duttonvocation Fiedler package, and am confused by it, as it seems to contain a lot of tracks which I recorded for DG, mixed in with a lot of tracks that I didn't, and the latter must have come from RCA, excepting that I was unaware of RCA having recorded the Pops in quad before we got started there in 1970. So I'm confused!
By the way, I made a list a few months ago, in a fit of procrastination, attempting to canvas recordings you would have worked on that would be candidates for re-release. Does anything stand out to you as being missing or wrongly present? https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...y-recordings-for-possible-quad-release.24807/

I agree that Universal Classical (DG, Decca , etc ) seems to have recognized the potential market for past quad recordings .
It took them a while to recognize this , but nevertheless we are starting to see more of these 70's quads and that's a good thing .

Put me down for that "Corky Seigal " collaboration as well.

And hopefully UMG releases more stored treasures from their Quad vaults.... many more of these "unreleased " quad mixes in Classical and other music genre's .

Its not on topic, but does anyone know of a good Quad mix and performance of Handel's "Messiah". Its a piece of music I have loved ever since I was taken to a performance of it by my late father, I must have been about 13, so a long time ago!

Its not on topic, but does anyone know of a good Quad mix and performance of Handel's "Messiah". Its a piece of music I have loved ever since I was taken to a performance of it by my late father, I must have been about 13, so a long time ago!
Specifically a quad mix? I'm not aware of one that's been transferred to digital. However, Harnoncourt's recording is easy to find secondhand and cheap on 5.0 SACD:
51A7M2GfUnL.jpg

I prefer both of these to the Harnoncourt in almost every way.
MI0001127364.jpg
MI0001128699.jpg
I thought about the Dunedin version, but it's a variant edition. The Jacobs is OOP and a pain to find cheap. And both of them are as more period style than the more conventional types of performances DuncanS would surely have heard at 13. I think the Harnoncourt version is probably the best for a casual fan of classical music.

I thought about the Dunedin version, but it's a variant edition. The Jacobs is OOP and a pain to find cheap. And both of them are as more period style than the more conventional types of performances DuncanS would surely have heard at 13. I think the Harnoncourt version is probably the best for a casual fan of classical music.

I have the Harnoncourt SACD and am perfectly satisfied with it. I'm certainly NO Handel expert but for those seeking the Jacobs SACD, AmazonUS has it listed for $25 + s/h: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I5YVH0/?tag=hraudio-20

Likewise, the "Dublin 1742' version is also available from AmazonUS: https://www.amazon.com/Handel-Messi..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=T1YQVWTSHE9X3NRJA75Y

Well, I like 'em. Also here's one with all the bells and whistles, sorta like the old Goosens/Beecham from RCA/Soria:
625x250_Choral_1.jpg

Not that we take AmazonUS 'reviewers' seriously, but this Messiah was 'trashed' on the website [but is still available] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYN9QMW/?tag=hraudio-20

One of the reviews states: "If you like laughably bad Messiah.....then this is for YOU!" Get a handle, Man! [MY QUOTE]

Another reviewer states: "Misguided and Bizarre!"

Last edited:
Not that we take AmazonUS 'reviewers' seriously, but this Messiah was 'trashed' on the website [but is still available] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYN9QMW/?tag=hraudio-20
One of the reviews states: "If you like laughably bad Messiah.....then this is for YOU!" Get a handle, Man! [MY QUOTE]
Another reviewer states: "Misguided and Bizarre!"
I think the latter comment is more relevant than the former but, N.B., it was not my primary recommendation.

Back