DVD/DTS Poll Bjork - Drawing Restraint 9 [DTS 96-24/DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Bjork - DRAWING RESTRAINT 9

• Total voters
Not sure there is actually any real music in there.. just seems like a lot of experimental stuff that doesn't belong on an album.. the mixes are interesting though!

This is definitely my favorite Björk album since Vespertine. Lots of great experimentation. Björk is truly a visionary. The mix is killer too!

Yes, very good mix, even... incredible for such an album ! Not only is the surround mix really good, but the overall sound quality is also astonishing. Not as much as in Medulla, but close.

Problem is the album. It's one of the worst albums I've ever listened to, hands down, and I've heard quite a few bad albums back in the days ! Some interesting stuff, sound effects and ambiances, but also an awful lot of bland tracks that reach the frontiers of unlistenability (er... sp ? ^^)

For those who tried and liked this album in its entirety, including 5-minute tracks with only glockenspiel and wind sound, or percussions, or even "worse" (sorry) Japanese theater incantations, you have two alternative albums that could really please you... but with a little something more :

- Emilie Simon's "The march of the penguins". Very close to DR9 in some ways, but with a little extra I can"t describe... Give it a try ! (For the record, I listened to DR9 and March... back to back, as a coincidence, and Simon's album shone so much brighter it really struck me)

- The soundtrack of japanese anime 'Akira'. Not only is it very close to DR9 (but way better), it also is available in DVD-A. And what a great DVD-A it is !

All in all, I rated in a 4. The sound is good, the surround is quite pleasant, but I can't stand the album both in stereo AND 5.1. Sorry, sorry sorry sorry...

LOVE her...but after "Vespertine" she started doing the wrong drugs...(or something)..
GREAT MIX....
But there is no memorable song here...too experimental and too left field for me...
Maybe she started believing her own hype...(and then lost it)

L\after "Vespertine" she started doing the wrong drugs...(or something)..
\

You know whats interesting, after Vespertine, she did the film "Dancer In The Dark" and she said that it was an aweful experience that she felt changed her music. She also said during making the film, she felt she was "cheating" on music and was afraid it was going to leave her.

Context is everything. This is the soundtrack to an experimental film, itself part of an art project. It's also by Björk, who has always been happier skirting the edges of popular taste, though it's not structured like other Björk albums because it is following that of Matthew Barney, her then partner's video art. So "songs" for the most part, are not to be expected. She also seems to be purposely reducing her own vocal and lyrical contribution, allowing other artists prominence, notably Japanese shō and Tagaq throat-singing, though Will Oldham sets this stall in the opening track. Her typical lyrical whimsy-driven paeans to nature, though present, are here toned down; allowing the texturally poignant music to produce broad sweeping soundscapes, some of the brass and wind arrangements are particularly striking in this regard. The result is contemplative and jarringly other worldly at one and the same time. Besides - perhaps because of - all of that, I enjoy this album a great deal and anyone who likes a spikier Björk will probably also do so. However, the key factor here is that 5.1 mix is wonderful, truly contributing to cast the listener adrift in the soundscape. As far as experimental soundtracks and sound art go, this 5.1 mix is probably towards the top of those lists.

Last edited:
Always been a Björk fan but had skipped this album entirely for some reason. Finally decided to give it a listen, in surround no less.

Enjoyed it quite a lot, always been a sucker for haunting soundscapes though. The handful of traditional tunes there are on the album are great but could do without the 10-minute Japanese theatre piece (seems like the only contribution credited solely to Matthew Barney, so no surprises there I guess).

Would give it a 7 or 8, but will reserve the rating for more listens.

Back