DVD/DTS Poll Bjork - Homogenic [DTS 96/24 DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Bjork - HOMOGENIC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Apologies - again - for taking so long getting around to this set, but it's been so busy here lately..

So far, out of the 4 I have had time to sit down & really digest, this one is the best yet in the set.
The mixes here are a showcase of what well-mixed surround can be when it's done by an engineer who cares and has some wonderfully crafted songs to work with.
I cannot fault this one, sonically & in execution of the mixes.
It's beautifully mastered as well.

Recommended. Without hesitation.

Yesterday (7/25) Rhino released the individual discs from the Box set here in the U.S. - DualDisc in standard jewelcase - with relatively little fanfare. I picked up Homogenic (along with Debut) - never a big Bjork fan - I am of the opinion that a little Bjork goes a long way. Having said that, I admire the adventurous nature of her music - not so much her voice which I imagine is an acquired taste. Both discs are excellent sonically - not much to complain about. The DTS 96/24 mix is superb and active. A "10" for execution - an "8" for content (a personal opinion). The 5 bonus videos are also available in 5.1 DTS which is great - if you're a fan. Don't get me wrong, this is sonically stunning stuff that is greatly enhanced by the surround treatment - it's just that voice...

I heard this at a friend's house a few weeks ago, but I only bought the single release by Rhino for myself today. So, I've now had a chance to listen with great scrutiny to the DTS 5.1 tracks of the whole album and the videos (and yes, the videos do have DTS tracks). OMFG!!!@!! The remixes are a complete reinvention for any true Bjork fan. If you've heard this album as many times as I've heard it, the 5.1 mixes are like listening to them for the first time. The brilliant little subtleties that occur are magical. I really can't praise this release enough. Shame that the titles weren't released as Advanced Resolution DVD-A's, but it's a small compromise when faced with the masterful work put into this disc.

Wow, this is such a great 5.1 mix, incredible.
After weeks of waiting the One Little Indian Mailorder finally got to ship the box-set. As Homogenic is my favourite Björk album, I had to listen to this first. My expectations were great, but it's even better than I had hoped. Favourite mixes after second listen are Hunter, All Neon Like, All Is Full of Love.
These mixes seem to have been executed with so much love and care and enthusiasm for mch-music.
(As has been said before: Shame it's not DVD-A and shame on the authoring company)

One of her best albums. I don't always "get" bjorks music but this disc is one of her more accessible with hooks and catchy beats in a lot of the songs (while still being unique) The mix and sound quality are great too. If you are curious about bjork or the surround set you might want to try this disc or post if you are just going to buy one.

One of her best albums. I don't always "get" bjorks music but this disc is one of her more accessible with hooks and catchy beats in a lot of the songs (while still being unique) The mix and sound quality are great too. If you are curious about bjork or the surround set you might want to try this disc or post if you are just going to buy one.

I have it in my stinky little hands as it just arrived. Gonna play it tonight. Can't wait.

Wow. Great 5.1 mix. A lot of work went into this, and the others I'm sure. I played the DTS and found the sound to be exceptional. No high end fatigue at all. I'm fairly new to Bjork and this is the first one of hers that I had ever heard (played the cd before I got this, so I was familiar with this title). I might have to get another 1 or 2 more (Probably Debut and Post or Vespertine.....Medulla sounds like it might be too weird).

I liked the Debut album music better than this one, but it was still pretty good to me, and the sorround mix was great, so that kept it interesting enough to keep playing it. An 8.

Dave64 I would say for sure get Post next (it is the most like homogenic) As a 3rd choice I would get debut. It is a little different than those 2 but still good. Verspertine is similar in sound to the others but the music itself is a little more experimental. Medulla I think is only for hardcore bjork fans as it is very experimental musically (but if you like the others it is worth a try)

Dave64 I would say for sure get Post next (it is the most like homogenic) As a 3rd choice I would get debut. It is a little different than those 2 but still good. Verspertine is similar in sound to the others but the music itself is a little more experimental. Medulla I think is only for hardcore bjork fans as it is very experimental musically (but if you like the others it is worth a try)

Thanks!

One of the best discs in her career.
I think she totally lost it after "Vespertine", which I consider her high peak.
Wonderful Surround mix-pushes the envelope...

BUT!!!

Word of advice;
"All is Full of Love" is a different mix than the original CD release- it has a horrible drum machine added...
This song I was really looking forward to in 5.1 and I get a freakin' remix :confused:
The original is so spacey and calm and shiny...
Just for that I'm giving it a 7.....

The album Homogenic, by Björk, sure lends itself very well for a surround presentation, and the opportunity wasn't missed here: everything about it is better now. The sound is crisper, edgier, fatter, everything is more defined, and it's coming from all around the listener. If this poll was only about sonics and surround mix, that'd make it an easy 10 for me... but of course, there's also the matter of content.

With Björk's music, unless perhaps you're a hard core fan, there are always tracks that'll leave you thinking: "Whaa?". To me, she can create highly original, unpredictable and refined melodies out of the simplest chord structures possible (I don't mean she only lends her voice to oversimplified music), but sometimes she leaves me wondering if she's a preschooler.. as I find some tracks don't even reach "teenager interest"..

For me, Homogenic breaks down to this:

01. Hunter
02. Jòga
04. Bachelorette
07. Immature
09. Pluto

...are all perfect 10s... and there's the rest.

Of course, track 10 "All is full of love", like kap'n krunch said in the post above mine, sure would've been along those stand-out tracks if it wasn't for the additional drums on the dualdisc. At the very least, they should've included both versions.

Content: 8
Mix: 10

Overall: 9

If you liked the CD "Then", you might rediscover and enjoy the DualDisc "Now". It makes for a even more "trippy" experience. :mad:@:

I admit, I generally have NO clue what Bjork is all about....
But, I can't resist the curiosity....so I go to Amazon and they had 1 Dual Disc left at $9.99. So, I nabbed it. lol

We'll see what she sounds like in surround...

I admit, I generally have NO clue what Bjork is all about....
But, I can't resist the curiosity....so I go to Amazon and they had 1 Dual Disc left at $9.99. So, I nabbed it. lol

We'll see what she sounds like in surround...

You'll have to let it grow on you, but I think this is one of her best albums and I listen to it often. The mixes are amazing!

Back