DVD/DTS Poll Bjork - Medulla [DTS 96-24/DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Bjork - MEDULLA

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Again, identical to the DVD-A version already released.
The only difference here is the inclusion of the videos.
It's Bjork's finest as far as I'm concerned.
BUT - buy the DVD-A as the quality is audibly higher.

Again, identical to the DVD-A version already released.
The only difference here is the inclusion of the videos.
It's Bjork's finest as far as I'm concerned.
BUT - buy the DVD-A as the quality is audibly higher.

I'd like to assume it was just a straight transcoding to lossy formats...which needn't necessarily be audible (though of course it could be).

Can you point to a particular place where this audible difference best reveals itself?

To me, it's pretty much all over - it's subtle, but the DVD-A is more open & detailed to my ears. There is simply more air there. The lossy versions sound a little more compressed overall. It's awfully hard to explain it.

I will - as soon as I have the time - sit down & A/B both versions track by track & post a description of exactly what I am hearing.

To me, it's pretty much all over - it's subtle, but the DVD-A is more open & detailed to my ears. There is simply more air there. The lossy versions sound a little more compressed overall. It's awfully hard to explain it.

I will - as soon as I have the time - sit down & A/B both versions track by track & post a description of exactly what I am hearing.

To me this is a waste of time. You have already said that to you it is more open and detailed. That's good enough for most of us on this board I would suspect. Unless of course you have lots of time to make this comparison. We all know that sometimes the difference is subtle but given the opportunity to get the disc in either DVD-A or Dolby/DTS I think most if not all of us would pick the DVD-A everytime. It is a no brainer even if it is the same mix. Why wouldn't you choose the higher resolution stream? All you have to lose is possibly a few extra bucks.

Maybe someone can start a "I can't tell the difference, can you tell the difference?" thread......

And now....back to Bjork....

It was a fair question and Neil had the only answer needed, to his ears it sounds more open and detailed. The bad news is Rhino decided to release this set as a DVD-V, while the good news is the sound quality is good for DVD-V and the mix is getting really good reviews. I haven't seen any announcement that Rhino/WEA won't ever release DVD-A again but I wouldn't be surprised. The Surrounded box set and individual DualDisc releases were a surprise to me and hopefully they will be a success. I guess WEA will re-release this as a DVD album in a couple of years if that new format is a success.

Chris

Rhino still have the Doors Boxed set still to come. This is DVD-A.
As far as newer titles go, I sincerely hope they don't go down this "Music DVD Album" route, sacrificing High Rez for bloody ringtones and MP3.

Well one reason to get this over the dvd-a is the video content and honestly I think for most people the difference between the dvd-a track and the DTS will be very slim if any and if you don't have the 2 next to eachother to compare I doubt you will miss the difference. That being said this disc musically doesn't do it for me.. way to experimental for my taste.. there are a couple of songs I liked but overall not something I would sit down and listen to over and over. The mix and sound quality are top notch though and the videos are very interesting.

First I have to mention that the video clips on the DualDisc are superb ! Bizarre is another word that springs to mind. The mix is aggressive and is great for highlighting the many components of the music. It's not a disc I will listen to frequently but I have to give it an 8 as it ticks most of my boxes for a great SS release

You may want to check out the videos on the Verspertine dualdisc sometime, if you haven't already. I bought the dualdiscs only for the videos (note: no videos on the two "soundtrack" dualdiscs, so I skipped those).

Back