DVD/DTS Poll Bjork - Vespertine [DTS 96-24/DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Bjork - VESPERTINE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
If you've got the DVD-A or the SACD, you know how good this is.
There are the videos on offer here as well, but it's identical in mix terms to the DVD-A.

The music on this disc is hit or miss for me but the sound quality and Mix is excellent. The videos are a great bonus too... did anyone else notice how often we see Bjork’s breasts in these videos? Is she an exhibitionist or what? I guess its all in the name of "art" :) Did these videos air anywhere?

I gave this dual disc a 9, not even for the music neither sound quality nor mixing wich is a 10 for me, but because of the fact that the disc is recorded in DD 5.1 and supposedly in DTS 96/24, but It's not. I own the box set Surrounded and all the discs have a real DTS 96/24 bitrate sampling except for Vespertine wich is only DTS. I wrote to the label, One Little Indian, about this issue but never received an answer. I'd appreciate if somebody can confirm if this issue is only on the european edition (One Little Indian version) or is it too on the american version (Ryko label), I don't know if you get DTS 96/24 with a tricky method because I discovered in Post dualdisc that if you access to the dvd side and choose the Play All in DTS you'll get the DD mix, so you have to go and choose one song specifically so that the DTS 96/24 mix play ok. By the way, the Menu in these discs are the worst I've ever seen!!
I really love this cd, I think is the best from Bjork, so I have all the editions: DVD-A is better than the dualdisc even when It's a 48/24 bitrate, no extras just the DVD side with DD 5.1 surround mix and the DVD-A with 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 in high rez (both with 48/24 bitrate). But if you want to feel really immerse in the music, listen to every single detail with crystal clarity and feel the voice of Bjork as if she was singing in front of you... go and grab the SACD... JUST AMAZING!!! It's an hybrid cd: CD side, SACD SURROUND and STEREO. =)

Interesting Comments!
I'll rip & decode the DTS stream later today & check what it is in my DTS-HD toolset. That'll tell us for once & all what the actual resolution is.
The bitrate is still 1.509Mb/sec though, no matter if the DTS is core audio or 24/96.

As far as POST goes, it plays all in DTS just fine here from the "Play All" button
However.
The authoring on this entire boxed set is dreadful - this has already been well noted, from the appalling menus to the way that FF/RW is disabled (presumably because the visuals are a slideshow, and some idiot forgot to alter the default Slideshow UserOp where FF/RW is prohibited to one that allows it) and the way that if you rip & make a backup of these (limited edition) discs, so you play the copy & keep the DualDisc pristine (another good reason for doing this is because all manufacturers state DualDisc is *not* supported in their players, and any damage you do to the player with a dualdisc will invalidate the warranty) then you lose DTS access on the Videos, and behaviour gets very strange indeed.

I have the Medulla/Vespertine DVD-A (both these are still used by me as surround & quality demo discs they are that good) and they blow the lossy dualdiscs away.
Reason we never got DVD-A of these is because Universal in Europe & Warners in the US paid for the mastering.
They refused to agree on DVD-A, so standard DVD was the sole common ground. In short, OLI wanted High Rez. Bjork wanted High Rez. Warner & Universal would not agree on DVD-A. So we got screwed - again.
Same thing with Volta.

Back