Music DVD Poll Bjork - Vespertine, Live at the Royal Opera House

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Bjork - Vespertine, Live at the Royal Opera House"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
I give it an 8. Concert and PQ are fine, 5.1 mix is bewildering. I stick with normal surround mix. "Cambridge" is my fave concert DVD by Ms B.

This release is by far my favorite of Björk's "Live DVD Series," not only because it is the only one with the option of DD 5.1, but because of the beautiful photography, great sound fidelity, and above all, the music itself. Björk herself mentions in the documentary Miniscule, part of which is included on this DVD, that some of these live performances on the Vespertine tour surpassed even those on the studio album. Director David Barnard really soared above and beyond with his coverage of the concert in one of the world's most famous and beautiful of venues.

Vespertine follows Björk’s award-winning role in the 2000 film Dancer in the Dark, in which she plays a tragically pained woman who escapes her tortuous life through her music. Vespertine definitely reflects this in its euphoric and dreamlike soundscapes of microbeats and sound sampling. Performed live at the Royal Opera House, Vespertine lends itself well to the idyllic location.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 mix (engineered by Tom Lazarus and Valgeir Sigurdsson) of the concert appropriately separates the wide spectrum of sounds presented throughout the live performance. The mix isn’t without flaws as there is a subtle hiss through some of the concert, and occasional background noise one might expect from a live recording such as mics being readjusted mid-performance. Overall, the sound is a remarkable leap from the flat and indiscriminately loud stereo option.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 mix (engineered by Tom Lazarus and Valgeir Sigurdsson) of the concert appropriately separates the wide spectrum of sounds presented throughout the live performance. The mix isn’t without flaws as there is a subtle hiss through some of the concert, and occasional background noise one might expect from a live recording such as mics being readjusted mid-performance. Overall, the sound is a remarkable leap from the flat and indiscriminately loud stereo option.

That is one of the most concise descriptions I have ever read about this mix - and I whole-heartedly agree with every word.
Whilst I would have preferred to see a DTS option, this has to be one of the best DD mixes I have ever heard in terms of sheer quality.
The album is pure artistry, and I can highy recommend it to all.

Bjork's music is great in stereo - when it hasn't been slaughtered by the mastering being just too darn loud - but in 5.1 it simply shines forth into a whole new experience.
Pure class.

One of the best live dvd's I've ever seen/heard. Excellent 5.1 mixing, perfect colours, perfect arrangements!!

Just to add a note. This title was unofficially announced to be released by One Little Indian on Blu-ray in May 2009. Details pending, it will more than likely include a Dolby TrueHD track. Here's hoping for DTS-HD Master.

I just ordered a copy of this DVD title and although I'm not too fussed about its merits as a surround release (live albums don't usually get the surround treatment beyond artist-audience separation), Vespertine is a superb album regardless. I know this is a poll thread but I just had to post somewhere to say I've ordered a copy and I can't wait to watch it :)

Back