Black Friday 2021 - What did ya buy & what sales are ya watching? Post mega sale bargains too if ya see them....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, Mr. E. My investor is an interesting character. He went to school in Coney Island and Jeffrey Epstein was in his class and he also lived in a building owned by Fred Trump and recalls that a certain D. Trump and his cousin used to go around collecting coins from the building's laundromats.

In the end, it all comes out in the WASH!
Ralphie, are you hanging the coin gathering younger Trump boys out to DRY?!

My father was a brick mason(and also a Freemason) in Charleston, SC before the war. After serving two years in US Army, he was part of the post war migration to the North where he landed in NYC and his first employer was one Fred Trump. I do know that there was no issue with him getting paid!

Mr. E, as consummate a filmmaker as Stanley K was, he really didn't pay much attention to sound design. Clockwork was originally graced with a Monaural soundtrack and this is a 5.1 upmix [?] ........ so actually playing it back in LOSSY DD Mono, as a recent reviewer suggests, is the way Mr. K intended [well, maybe NOT lossy]!

But like Snoodville's most prominent citizen, I can't pass up a bargain .... and reconsidered! For $13.66 A Clockwork Orange will be mine ... as well.
Have Pete and Roger ever been to Whoville(where Moonie’s frontal lobes were three sizes too large)?

Arrived today from AmazonUS: The BD~V Steelbook Edition of John Hughes raucous comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin. Only $12.99 minus a $1.66 coupon [now expired]

81Y9Dx26bQL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
A holiday classic!!!!!!!

What thoroughly amazes me is how they can produce these stunning steelbook editions which are beautiful to behold, enclose a disc with a lossless soundtrack and 1080p video and sell them so cheaply.

Contrast that with music only discs some of which come in cheap cardboard inserts [sometimes with No liner notes] and charge almost 3x's as MUCH!

You heard ME MoFi!

What thoroughly amazes me is how they can produce these stunning steelbook editions which are beautiful to behold, enclose a disc with a lossless soundtrack and 1080p video and sell them so cheaply.

Contrast that with music only discs some of which come in cheap cardboard inserts [sometimes with No liner notes] and charge almost 3x's as MUCH!

You heard ME MoFi!
But I bet that they absolutely crush the music only discs in sale numbers.

You heard ME MoFi!
What's the story on the Steelbook version? If I have the original BD, is there some audio/video advantage on this one?

But I bet that they absolutely crush the music only discs in sale numbers.

NOT necessarily! But the fact that they're released by the movie companies directly and are NOT subject to the excessive U.S. music licensing/royalty fees charged to the various reissue companies is of course a contributing factor. And the fact that most SACDs, for instance, are now being released as LIMITED EDITIONS [2 or 3K MAX] can obviously justify the higher costs.

The Steelbook 2K and 4K editions, are likewise produced in MUCH SMALLER quantities and also qualify as LIMITED EDITIONS.

Thus we can appreciate Dutton Vocalion's continued reissue program which sometimes includes two COMPLETE QUAD albums on one SACD and still charges only £11.99, sometimes with newly commissioned liner notes!

What's the story on the Steelbook version? If I have the original BD, is there some audio/video advantage on this one?

No Gene. It's just an upgraded packaging......more of a cool factor. The original Hughes comedy was bundled together with other John Hughes comedies and only now his former BD~Vs are coming out in steelbook editions. I was also able to obtain THE BREAKFAST CLUB at a similar price in a steelbook edition.

So for roughly the price of a CD, these steelbook editions don't break the bank!

Reactions: GOS
No Gene. It's just an upgraded packaging......more of a cool factor. The original Hughes comedy was bundled together with other John Hughes comedies and only now his former BD~Vs are coming out in steelbook editions. I was also able to obtain THE BREAKFAST CLUB at a similar price in a steelbook edition.

So for roughly the price of a CD, these steelbook editions don't break the bank!
OK, thanks Ralph! I get it.....I'll pass then. I love the movie....heck, I may have 2 or 3 versions floating around the house.

Arrived today from AmazonUS: The BD~V Steelbook Edition of John Hughes raucous comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin. Only $12.99 minus a $1.66 coupon [now expired]

I happened to see this link on the UCR website the other day. Did you know that this movie was originally supposed to be over 3 hours? This YouTube doc is very interesting if you are a fan of PT&A. It's worth the 15 minutes.

BTW... keeping with the Steve Martin theme. I picked up "The Jerk" blu-ray on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2CTJ25?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I had the DVD version and lent it to someone and never got it back (long time ago).

Back