Black Jazz catalog finally available on QS-Encoded CD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says: Part 1 is currently not available! :(

Any idea how one can get part 1? :D

The author has changed the location of part 1 as I just could see. Now the link directly points to zip file on a different server and it downloads much faster than before from Megaupload, which took hours.
I guess when you visited on the site the link had not yet been updated.
Try it again :)

The author has changed the location of part 1 as I just could see. Now the link directly points to zip file on a different server and it downloads much faster than before from Megaupload, which took hours.
I guess when you visited on the site the link had not yet been updated.
Try it again :)

Great - Thank you, KansaiQuad. And best regards to Kansai! :sun

Now, one could only hope that sometime this stuff will be shared as flac files :D

Black Jazz is back online! :wave

www.blackjazz.com

Whatever the reason for the long period absence was, I hope the label will live on for long time. Would be a shame if all this good music weren't be published anymore.
Just today I found a "Henry Franklin - The Skipper at Home" CD left on stock in a record store in Osaka. No doubt, I had to buy it. As we know the QS is intact on these CD's, and the sound and the quad mix are superb. That was the reason why I tried that web address once more, not expecting much, et voilá...

Well, whether it's a serious business will have to be proved. I immediately mailed them about the status of my extensive order, done and paid short before the website disappeared in last autumn, and which never had been shipped.

Interestingly, the website has a copyright date of 2010. A typo, I'm sure, but I prefer to think that the Internet can now bring us messages from the future.!

J. D.

ah, yes. didn't recognize that. So, hmm..., maybe I should contact them about my order next year again if nothing happens within the next days ;-)

If I recall, the owner was not the most...well, shall we say eloquent guy, judging from his description of the legal battle he was having over the Black Jazz catalog. Being in the correct year is just a nicety. Glad to see they are back up, let us know how you make out. I think I would order items "one at a time". John S.

Yes, I am getting that feeling myself......I tested the waters with an order for 1.......haven't seen, nor any shipping info or anything. Is James Hardge in the Oakland White Pages???? John :mad:

Yes, I am getting that feeling myself......I tested the waters with an order for 1.......haven't seen, nor any shipping info or anything. Is James Hardge in the Oakland White Pages???? John :mad:

I order 2 CDs (Buy Now) from the E/Bay site
14 days ago
And have sent 5 E/Mails asking for the post cost to
Australia
Have not received any reply yet

Ron

Interestingly, the website has a copyright date of 2010. A typo, I'm sure, but I prefer to think that the Internet can now bring us messages from the future.!

J. D.

So, don't give up boys! Perhaps the CDs will become available and will be delivered in 2010 only. ;)

Had several of the Black Jazz quad vinyl LPs in like-new condition.

Sold 'em all at a record convention several years ago.

The buyer was a collector from... what was it? Sweden or Denmark? One of those places.

He was so absolutely thrilled to get them!!!! He actually hugged them as he floated away in rapturous delight.

I didn't have the rarer items priced, leaving the price to dickering and conversing.

If I liked the buyer I gave decent deals.

The buyer could not reign in his excitement, either verbally or by gesture and body language.

I could have gouged the guy but I was very fair with the pricing.

Heck, just seeing a bloke so damned happy, no, ecstatic, was worth the lesser price received.

If I recollect properly, the cover art work was black drawing upon a white background.

Just another day in the life of a Disgruntled Old Coot.

Hi,
Can anyone who is familiar with the Black Jazz catalog make reccomendations as which titles are worth picking up from the view of:
1) the music is good
2) quad mix or separation.

I notice on ebay there is a seller that is marketing some of the cds for $12.50
This is not the Black Jazz website.

Thanks

Also, were all of their releases quad encoded or only those with the record covers labled for quad?

In my limited knowledge of them...I've found all of those that I have heard to be relatively well recorded for such a small label with good, discrete QS mixes. Of course, you have to have some affection for 1970's stylings of jazz...these are not the elevator "light jazz" that was developed in the 70's, think more of semi-restrained free jazz. I think Doug Carn, and of course Chester Thompson, were their best know and best selling (Carn). I've found I like the Henry Franklin and Calvin Keys discs also. Anybody put together that hit squad on Mr. Hardge yet? :smokin John

Time to bring this thread back to life.

I see that a new series of Black Jazz CDs were released in 2012 in Europe and in Japan. The cover reproduction does state Quadraphonic on them. I'd like to know of anyone has purchased some of these can confirm whether the QS encoding is found on these releases as well.

These albums contain superb array of Soul/Jazz from the period. I for one would love to hear them in Quad. Before pulling the trigger, I just want to make sure I'm getting the QS.

Kellee%20Patterson%20lrmndash%20Maiden%20Voyage%20CD%201_zps2mbji7bq.jpg

Kellee%20Patterson%20lrmndash%20Maiden%20Voyage%20CD%202_zpsgdzpupjx.jpg

Back