Black Oak Arkansas "The First Thirty Years"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I ordered this DVD Video from Black Oak's Website. I had been corresponding with them about getting them a digitized DTS copy of my "Raunch and Roll" quadradisc, which Tab did for them. The DVD came with a bonus CD that contained roughed in recordings of some of their well known songs, and some that were never released.

The DVD contains a series of concert films that were made in the seventies. Though it says 5.1 audio on the box, there is none, it is all monophonic. The sound quality is consistent with what is to be expected from the optical track on film. It is also cursed with the dreaded music interruption, and with one song being talked over.

However, If you are a Black Oak fan, it contains some gems. Jim Dandy's performance on stage is energetic and lively. There are interviews and a tour of the band's bus and compound, all interesting, but should have been a separate menu item. As a southerner, it did my heart good to see Jim Dandy wave a big Confederate flag during performance of the southern anthem "Dixie".

Though the material was somewhat limited, Rhino could have done a better job with handling this historical footage, and they need to correct their false advertising problem.

The Quadfather

Back