Black Sabbath "Paranoid" Super Deluxe

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my excitement opening this box to find it says quad in stereo? Yes it sounds like a tird covered Twinkie. His voice is all over the place. It sounds like he's talking through one of those toys that makes your voice echo. What a missed opportunity!
The older deluxe edition digipak is the version you want. This contains a DVD-V with the discrete quad mix on it. Although the source they used leaves much to be desired.

I actually stumbled upon this today and very glad I did having never heard Paranoid in Quad. Someone uploaded a discrete Quad rip from the CD-4 to YouTube and it sounds marvellous. You can use a program like ClipGrab to download as an audio file and play it over USB on your media player.

The older deluxe edition digipak is the version you want. This contains a DVD-V with the discrete quad mix on it. Although the source they used leaves much to be desired.

I actually stumbled upon this today and very glad I did having never heard Paranoid in Quad. Someone uploaded a discrete Quad rip from the CD-4 to YouTube and it sounds marvellous. You can use a program like ClipGrab to download as an audio file and play it over USB on your media player.

I just browsed the youtube channel that video is on. Some very interesting stuff there....

All of my excitement opening this box to find it says quad in stereo? Yes it sounds like a tird covered Twinkie. His voice is all over the place. It sounds like he's talking through one of those toys that makes your voice echo. What a missed opportunity!
not to mention that the "live" stuff is MP3 sourced , this edition is JUNK

Return to sender .... I told the daeler before that I'm only interested in the CD-4 Paranoid.
"Quad to stereo" is absolute misleading

Dude, I am presently working in a media related retail warehouse in Boston at the moment. That boxed set has crossed my path a couple of times, and I can't understand who thought it was a good idea to fold down the quad to unencoded stereo and then press that. Basically the only reason I'd want to buy the whole thing. From what I remember the quad was released a few years back on some sort of reissue, but I got mine off the web back in the days of the "'noid".

BoS, is this the one you are speaking of?

Paranoid BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid - Amazon.com Music

What was wrong with the source? Was it from an old vinyl copy?

Thanks in advance!
That’s the one. I don’t own it myself because I just heard the source they used was garbage. All I know is that rip from YouTube sounds pretty darn good to my ears and will have no need to track down that DVD.

YMMV, but from what I’ve heard the mix is pretty awesome. I didn’t have time to listen to the whole thing but the opening of War Pigs alone sounded huge. Geezer’s bass sounds crystal clear in the quad! Wish more Sabbath was mixed into quad back in the day. Once I heard that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was supposed to be but never saw the light of day…

Yes, that is the CD/DVD version with a "surround" mix on it. I own it, yes, it's just not a good mix.

One thing cool about Amazon, is they let you know when you bought it! Man, 10 years ago....

1680186784288.png

I have multiple Paranoid surround files including the 4.0.
The best without question is THIS SUPER DELUXE 5.1
I do remember when the latest box came out and the whole thing about the stereo mixed from the Quad tapes, everyone on QQ was WTF.
I bought it solely for the paper box to fit in my Black Sabbath collection.
The best stereo Black Sabbath are the out of print SHM SACD's.
THIS IS THE COVER OF THE BEST 5.1.
R-1764689-1373641452-1570.jpg

Yes, I agree. I also have the HDTracks versions, not too bad. I guess I have never A/B'd anything Black Sabbath, that would be a real chore.
While we are on the question @himey of stereo Black Sabbath, what is your thought on the debatable?
Good info here.

Dude, I am presently working in a media related retail warehouse in Boston at the moment. That boxed set has crossed my path a couple of times, and I can't understand who thought it was a good idea to fold down the quad to unencoded stereo and then press that. Basically the only reason I'd want to buy the whole thing. From what I remember the quad was released a few years back on some sort of reissue, but I got mine off the web back in the days of the "'noid".
The original album sounds great and the book and set is cool, but after that Quad in Stereo earache I just put it all on the shelf. I still enjoy a first pressing I've had for 20 years! Will probably wear that out before I open the box again. You guys got me searching for the DVD/SACD audio now, as I really want to hear it!

Back