Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 Super Deluxe Edition (with some Steven Wilson mixes) Feb 12th, 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best-sounding versions of this album in digital so far are either the 2009 CD remaster, or the 2012 SHM-SACD (single layer only) from Japan.

Avoid the so-called 2004 "Black Box" and 2012/2016 remasters.
Oh well,
I ordered the 2009 CD from Amazon, waited two weeks for delivery, they say it was delivered yesterday, it was not. Now I have to file complaint. Happens maybe once every couple years. Shoot, I scored a SHM SACD file, I have the HDtracks, was looking forward for the comparison.

It is very technical, but there's more info on their site. The trouble with the free DR meter is that it really penalizes strong low bass content and is geared especially towards noticing limiting. So you can have a dynamic master with strong unfiltered bass and very mild limiting on the highest peaks only, and yet get a DR6 measurement.
On the whole, it is a good tool for comparisons, but not for judgments in absolute terms.
That's interesting I checked some HD tracks of Back Sabbath and they while not spectacular were not that bad either. I would be warry of anything with a low low value of 6 though.

Oh well,
I ordered the 2009 CD from Amazon, waited two weeks for delivery, they say it was delivered yesterday, it was not. Now I have to file complaint. Happens maybe once every couple years. Shoot, I scored a SHM SACD file, I have the HDtracks, was looking forward for the comparison.
How does the SHM SACD file compare to the HDtracks?

How does the SHM SACD file compare to the HDtracks?
Good question. First of all great album and looking forward to the new box set with all the goodies.
I A/B'd the SHM SACD and the HDTRacks, unfortunately my SACD file was converted to PCM so not a DSF file. I'll explain.
My source was JRiver player to Exasound38 DAC to McIntosh MX122, MC452 stereo amp, B&W 804 D3's.

2012 SHM SACD rip from PS3 DFF to DSD2PCM converter to PCM 24/88.2 FLAC

2014 HDTRacks 24/96 FLAC.

DR Track order: About the same.

SHM SACD: 10,11,11,13,10,11,12,10,10,12.
HDTracks: 10,11,12,15,10,11,11,09,10,11.

I listened to the quieter tracks for comparison. Changes and FX.
For the louder comparison I listened to Wheels of Confusion and Snowblind.

Wow, really hard to be convinced what is better. Without doubt, if the SHM SACD is unavailable, the HDTracks is an absolute quality release when compared.

Maybe, I noticed a fraction of a second clipped off from SHM SACD that was there on HDTracks. Going back and forth multiple times with these digital files, the HDTracks a hair brighter than the SHM SACD, but when just settling in and listening to all of each, I had no problem.
For me the question is when just by myself, what would be my go to? Very strong placebo effect here, my brain wants to constantly say the SACD is significantly better, but reality it is not.
Disclaimer: I don't know shit about shit and this is best I could do. Still waiting for my lost 2009 RBCD, Amazon sending me a new one, how much you wanna bet it won't even be the advertised 2009 CD that I purchased.

Good question. First of all great album and looking forward to the new box set with all the goodies.
I A/B'd the SHM SACD and the HDTRacks, unfortunately my SACD file was converted to PCM so not a DSF file. I'll explain.
My source was JRiver player to Exasound38 DAC to McIntosh MX122, MC452 stereo amp, B&W 804 D3's.

Wow, really hard to be convinced what is better. Without doubt, if the SHM SACD is unavailable, the HDTracks is an absolute quality release when compared.

Maybe, I noticed a fraction of a second clipped off from SHM SACD that was there on HDTracks. Going back and forth multiple times with these digital files, the HDTracks a hair brighter than the SHM SACD, but when just settling in and listening to all of each, I had no problem.
For me the question is when just by myself, what would be my go to? Very strong placebo effect here, my brain wants to constantly say the SACD is significantly better, but reality it is not.
Disclaimer: I don't know shit about shit and this is best I could do. Still waiting for my lost 2009 RBCD, Amazon sending me a new one, how much you wanna bet it won't even be the advertised 2009 CD that I purchased.
Not Hi-Res, but this '86 CD has some good DR also:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/43805
https://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-Vol-4/release/2200455

Those orginal CD's all of them, any genre, overall are very good. When looking for a CD I always try to find the earliest year available, within $ reason of course, ie; a 1984 for $8.00 vs a 2014 remastered for $7.50, I'm going for the earlier.
I was thinning the herd around 2005, because I was going to convert to all MP3 and sold a boatload of orginal CD's at a garage sale.
The problem with being as old as me is I have jumped on every band wagon.

1608743532124.png

Thanks for your detailed response. I've been a Black Sabbath fan for about 50 years, but honestly, I wasn't planning on buying this release, based on its descriptions. The only LP of theirs I still have from my teen years is their debut album, my favorite one. I have digital versions of it and some of their other albums, but I never re-acquired Vol. 4. All I want is a good-sounding version, not necessarily the best. A seller on Amazon has the 2009 CD for a reasonable price, but for a few dollars more, I could get the HDtracks version. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Just got my 2009 (Sanctuary Records) CD yesterday, that took a real long time to get. It is a digipak, cardboard outside with plastic inside. Nice liner notes.

I have listened to the now 3 that I own below. I personally don't think there is a wrong choice between the three, in fact if one wanted to purchase today my advice is the HDTRacks, biggest & easiest bang for the buck.
Out of the three I would say HDTRacks and SACD are tied for quality. The HDTRacks & SHM SACD have a softer sound which I like over the CD.

2009 CD: 10.10.11.13,09,11,11,09,10,11.

Looking forward to the upcoming box set with the Steven Wilson extras. I will top out with 4 versions, I know a little obsesive, but that is the definition of a hobbyist, don't take others word for it, find out for yourself, sometimes.

The 2021 remastered version now released today at HDTracks $18.48 24/96.
Rhino has sent me the new 2021 remastered box set, 4 CD's. Gets here next week?
I am tempted to purchase the 2021 remaster at 24/96 as the box set will just be 16/44.1.
BUT, I am going to hold back on my temptations

Back