Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 Super Deluxe Edition (with some Steven Wilson mixes) Feb 12th, 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
(I'm putting this in the 'non-surround' section in an abundance of caution because all the listings so far are for CD-only sets.)

Reported on IMWAN:

Tracklist

[CD1]
1. Wheels of Confusion / The Straightener (2021 Remaster)
2. Tomorrow's Dream (2021 Remaster)
3. Changes (2021 Remaster)
4. FX (2021 Remaster)
5. Supernaut (2021 Remaster)
6. Snowblind (2021 Remaster)
7. Cornucopia (2021 Remaster)
8. Laguna Sunrise (2021 Remaster)
9. St. Vitus Dance (2021 Remaster)
10. Under the Sun / Every Day Comes and Goes (2021 Remaster)

[CD2]
1. Wheels of Confusion / The Straightener (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
2. Changes (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
3. Supernaut (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
4. Snowblind (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
5. Laguna Sunrise (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
6. Under the Sun (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Instrumental Mix) [2021 Remaster]

[CD3]
1. Wheels of Confusion (False Start with Studio Dialogue) [2021 Remaster]
2. Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 1) [2021 Remaster]
3. Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 2) [2021 Remaster]
4. Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 3) [2021 Remaster]
5. Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 4) [2021 Remaster]
6. The Straightener (Outtake) [2021 Remaster]
7. Supernaut (Outtake) [2021 Remaster]
8. Supernaut (Alternative Takes with False Starts) [2021 Remaster]
9. Snowblind (Alternative Take 1) [2021 Remaster]
10. Under the Sun (False Start with Studio Dialogue) [2021 Remaster]
11. Under the Sun (Alternative Take with Guide Vocal) [2021 Remaster]

[CD4]
1. Tomorrow's Dream (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
2. Sweet Leaf (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
3. War Pigs (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
4. Snowblind (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
5. Killing Yourself to Live (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
6. Cornucopia (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
7. Wicked World (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
8. Supernaut (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
9. Wicked World (Reprise) [Live in the UK 1973] [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
10. Embryo (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
11. Children of the Grave (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
12. Paranoid (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]

Amazon USA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N3KQCD2/

Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08N3KQCD2/

Amazon UK
Vol. 4 (Super Deluxe 4CD Box Set): Amazon.co.uk: Music

Sadly no BluRay listed, the prospect of a Steven Wilson Atmos mix of this album is mouth-watering indeed - my small hope is that perhaps a more detailed product listing will tell us that there is a surround mix in one of these sets. The original mix of this album is so thin and bass-shy that I think there's massive room for improvement with a SW mix. Perhaps @Steel Woole or @Plan9 can give us the inside scoop if they're able to.

What isn't and could have been aside, I'm happy as can be for any and all of this!

So... another copy of Live At Last too?

I can see GOS dancing around the room if there is a surround mix!
GOS DANCE.gif

If there is indeed a 5.1 or Atmos mix included, this is fantastic news - especially after that lame Paranoid set that only had a stereo fold-down of the quad mix. I noticed that the listing only mentions six of the ten tracks were remixed by SW. Missing multis for the rest?

If there is indeed a 5.1 or Atmos mix included, this is fantastic news - especially after that lame Paranoid set that only had a stereo fold-down of the quad mix. I noticed that the listing only mentions six of the ten tracks were remixed by SW. Missing multis for the rest?

If there isn't a 5.1 or Atmos mix included, that could be the culprit. It would be nice if they at least made the mixes available via streaming services, though...

I never bothered with Paranoid because of what I read around here, even though that was my introduction to Sabbath and I love that album.. But this! This could be my panacea for this whole Covid mess of the past eight months, especially if it includes an SW 5.1 mix. But for now, I guess it's just Tomorrow's Dream.

Just a few multichannel songs with upmixes for the rest would still be sweet...

The bonus stuff gets major thumbs up.

Reactions: GOS
My favorite of all the BS albums. As I've mentioned (probably more than a few times by now), I once saw a quad IV being listed on eBay, but it was definitely a bootleg (with a horrendous price). Went quickly though! Either sold or delisted.

I'll get this IF there is a SW surround of any type. If.

So I guess it's just a glorified 50 year copyright extension set then, and at a premium price. I wonder if the multitracks for the main album are "gone" or if there's some kind of complication in accessing them based on the fact that Sabbath were signed to Warner Bros. in the US (where the album was recorded) and Vertigo in the UK. It looks like the non-US rights have reverted back to the band ("Grimcastle Ltd.") who've licensed them out to our old Silverline DVD-A pals, Sanctuary Records to do these reissues.

Even the "Live in the UK" part of this set doesn't look to be anything new, it's just a rehash of Live at Last with the running order changed and more track index points inserted (Wicked World broken into 3 tracks, Embryo/Children of the Grave broken into 2, etc.).

Back