Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 Super Deluxe Edition (with some Steven Wilson mixes) Feb 12th, 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed my vinly order from Popmarket on Dec 23rd. Today is release date. I log in to PM and it says backordered. I am going to be pissed.......shortly.....if they don't honor my early order.

I placed my vinly order from Popmarket on Dec 23rd. Today is release date. I log in to PM and it says backordered. I am going to be pissed.......shortly.....if they don't honor my early order.
Amazon says theirs is in stock. Why do I try to save $10? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Easy Gos, easy. PopMarket support told me my order is shipping shortly. Yayyyyyy.

Yes!

1613159743227.png

OK, I'm trying to be unbiased. It's hard, as Sabbath is my number 1 favorite band. I'll cut to the chase. Vinyl number 2, which has Steven Wilson mixes. Wow! So much more heft. It's striking. Drums, vocals, etc. It almost makes me cry. Is it night and day? Almost, seriously.

Again, this is the vinyl. I have no clue about the CD version. Damn....

In the Vinyl Guide podcast, Wilson notes he's doing another Sabbath, though doesn't mention which title.
I hope it's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", their most progressive album. It deserves a surround mix with the various layers that the strings, synths, and the orchestra added (not to mention Rick Wakeman chipping in as well).

Finally got my 4 CD box set of Vol 4 yesterday. Rhino emailed that they shipped to me on 2/11 and arrived 2/24, that is a long time, I guess the deep freeze and Covid really slowed shipping.
I am going to rip the 4 CD's this morning. I like the little box set, book, etc.
I'll post comments later.

Finally got my 4 CD box set of Vol 4 yesterday. Rhino emailed that they shipped to me on 2/11 and arrived 2/24, that is a long time, I guess the deep freeze and Covid really slowed shipping.
I am going to rip the 4 CD's this morning. I like the little box set, book, etc.
I'll post comments later.
Can't wait to hear if the CD version of the Wilson mixes sounds as good as the vinyl version. Before I listened to the Wilson mixes, I listened to the original album front to back to remind myself what it sounded like. Then, the Wilson mixes......doing it that way, it's clear how much he improved the audio quality.

Bringing up to date:
2020 CD Remaster: 09,09,11,15,10,10,09,10,10,09
SHM SACD: 10,11,11,13,10,11,12,10,10,12.
HDTracks: 10,11,12,15,10,11,11,09,10,11.
2009 CD: 10.10.11.13,09,11,11,09,10,11.

2020 remaster the DR's are lowest but I like the way it sounds, it has good depth to it, like it comes through transperant, where as the other 3 seem more flat or muted?

Very nice box set, easy to open, get out discs, one Snowblind poster, little book with notes and pictures, just right. The back of box has printed Disc and track list and they put a paper loose back that has the seem info but added bar code and info including Steven Wilson credits. Credits have the remixes, remaster, and Live done in 2021, but they where really done in 2020.

Having 4 different releases now, tempted to buy the HDTRacks 24/96 2021 but enough is enough.
Obviously the purpose of buying this box set, I am a Black Sabbath fan, or I really want to hear the SW remixes and the 1973 Live recording.
I'll be back with my observations of the two SW remix Discs 2&3, also the Live Disc 4.
But so far so good and please don't use my explanation as arguable, there are so many other QQ'ers that may have different opionions, which are all valid.

I listened to the two Steven Wilson CD's. I don't know, they are just CD's even though they have SW's name on them.
The only thing I really noticed was the bass comes through really well, good metal crunch sound.
However, they are out takes, nothing to compare them to. They are not a finished product, so I can't judge them as finished, they are what they are.
CD 2 Outtakes-New Mixes, whatever, just different versions of the same.
CD 3 Alternative Takes, False Starts & Studio Dialogue. I really like this disc because of the roughness of the takes, not polished and talking is short but fun. CD 3 offers a little bit more of things to listen to and you can hear non perfection in the musicians which is cool.

In short, I am certainly not positive that the man Steven Wilson brings that much to these two discs, but a fan of Black Sabbath and Steven Wilson, I will never complain. BTW the DR's on these two CD's are mostly 9's with 8's, 10's, 11's and a 12.

Will listen to Disc 4 Live in UK 1973 later.

Listening now to CD 4, LIVE in the UK 1973 2021 mix.
Lets be honest this is not audiophile quality, sounds harsh and Ozzy's vocals even harsher.
I am enjoying my listen, band is great, really playing there ass off and Ozzy being a great front man whipping up the audience.
Audience is into the music.
I'm taking Plan9's advice and settled in at 82db.
EDIT: Listened in full and really liked it, so powerful and energetic. Track 8 drum solo is super good.
Track 12 Paranoid closing track almost seems like "lets do a quick version and get outta here", CD ends with audience chanting Tony, Tony, Tony long fade out.

Last edited:
Listening now to CD 4, LIVE in the UK 1973 2021 mix.
Lets be honest this is not audiophile quality, sounds harsh and Ozzy's vocals even harsher.
I am enjoying my listen, band is great, really playing there ass off and Ozzy being a great front man whipping up the audience.
Audience is into the music.
I'm taking Plan9's advice and settled in at 82db.

Ozzy stopped playing when I saw him in St. Petersburg, FL because the crowd was too mellow. Eventually all the chairs were either kicked over or thrown aside and everyone finally got CRAZY! He is an amazing front man. Always having the top guitarists helps too...

Just checking out this remaster now. This one is hands down the most appalling volume war and treble bludgeoned copy of this album, or perhaps any album, I've ever heard. This is exactly why I feel the need to preview things before buying these days. This one is really an insult to the band. The 24/96 and 16/44.1 copies sound identically ruined.

I suspect someone couldn't wrap their head around the cymbal levels in the mix (for good or bad - this mix, you know...). They grabbed for knobs. They didn't follow up and listen to what that did to Ozzy's voice or anything. You almost have to hear this just to believe anyone would ever do something like this!

Oh, and to add insult to injury, the end of the first track is cut off like some of the vinyl reissues had happen.

There's an SACD release that's the best digital copy for this one.

Last edited:
Back