HiRez Poll Blackfield - IV [DVD-AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Blackfield - IV

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
It's an 8 from me for the mixing. I would characterize this mix as immersive. I understand that's one of the point of 5.1 there is but the other factor which I look for in other 5.1 mixes are the fact that they reveal more of the song instrumentation as well. It did not in this mix but maybe because it's the material. The songs are short, and I for one liked it. Why it's a welcome break from my prog rock diet and I can listen to this entire album without getting exhausted. The songs are also hummable and in some tracks Aviv did a good job with the guest vocals. One track in particular sounds uncannily as if it came from a post Yerself is Steam album Mercury Rev.

A solid 8 from me, mix only. A patchy album musically compared with the last 3 for me.
The main perspective is that I hope the previous albums get the 5.1 treatment, especally "II". I love that album.

3 years on and I just got around to picking this one up.
listened to the DTS mix via bluray.

I love the orchestration on the tracks (balanced more to the rears throughout the album).
The drums also felt as if they were more rooted in the rears.
The music had that Wilson feel but the lyrics and most of the vocals were off to me. The songs seem to end or fade out a bit early. Kind of threw me off. I don't know if that is because I am so used to longer SWesq songs.

I give it an 8

This is my favorite Blackfield album. Lots of hooks and melody with great guest vocals I keep listening to it over and over again despite being short compositions. It's just right. The fidelity is a little rolled off which makes it sound a little muffled but I dig it more, I would equate it to a softer movie cinematography, not everything needs to be in ultra sharp and edgy, it needs to fit the content. 10 for everything in this release!

Pills and Jupiter I can remember. Unfortunately the other songs are somehow unfinished. In my opinion the weakest Blackfield album. It gains from the 5.1 mix, which is quite good sounding.
But weak songs.
Would like to have the first three Blackfield Albums in surround. My favorite album? Hard to say, I, II or DNA. But von IV or V.
I do not know the latest one yet.

Back