HiRez Poll Blood Sweat & Tears - BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS [SACD 4.0]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Blood Sweat and Tears - BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this January 2015 SACD release from Audio Fidelity (AFZ5 198) of the album "BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS", which includes the original quadraphonic mix from the 1970's.

PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD: LINK

BST2 Front.jpg
BST2 Back.jpg

This is an almost perfect Quadraphonic mix.

The one problem I have with this mix?

It's "Blues-Part II".

Drums panned completely to the surround channels like that? C'mon man! It just doesn't feel that natural to me to have a drum solo going on around my head. I don't need that much immersion…When the other instruments are in, it's fine, but if I were mixing it, I would take those drums and stick them a lot more towards the front channels where they belong.

Other than that, there's not much else I can say about this disc except that I cannot remember enjoying a Quad SACD so much since I got all of the Moody Blues SACDs almost 5 years ago.
Audio Fidelity really needs to be commended for a superb remastering job that brings out the best qualities of this extremely immersive and quirky Quad mix.
Not to mention that the music is phenomenal too!

Favorites include "Smiling Phases", "More and More", and "Spinning Wheel".
Highly recommended, and now I am even more excited about Guess Who and Bread! :)

I've always loved this album...in fact, I think this is my fifth copy of it! The quad mix fills the room just great and it sure sounds like the master tape was in excellent condition. Yes, the ending to "Spinning Wheel" is disappointing, but for whatever reason the quad version was always like that. I think the end of "Blues Part II" is missing some footsteps or something as well, though it's not as obvious and I could be wrong.

But I can only give it a 1 because the catalog number on the front cover art isn't the original as shown on the record labels in the booklet.

I give it a 9. It still amazes me how good 40 year old recordings can sound. I actually enjoyed the surround drum solo placement In Blues...at least the first time I listened to it.

My favorite tracks on first listen were Sometimes In Winter, God Bless the Child and Variations On A Theme...opening track.

Looking forward to Guess Who!

My copy arrived on Tuesday. Thanks to my love Joe for this. It was intended to be a late Christmas present. Instead, it became an early Valentine present by four days.

A solid 12! Do I really need to stop at 10? I bought the original LP as a new release, before any songs got radio play. I had already owned Child. I knew this would be good, yet I expected it to sound different, since AK was gone.

Out of a collection of 20,000, this album is in my top 10. It's one of my favorite Quad mixes, too. My #1 album, Moby Grape's first is the only album I've spun as much, perhaps more, than this. I've owned BS&T on 2ch LP, Q8, SQ, 1/2 speed Direct Disc labs, dbx encoded LP, Japan CD, expanded CD, CBS 2ch SACD, MoFi 2ch SACD, and this 4.0 SACD.

I've always loved the Quad mix, despite a few shortcomings. IMHO, the best way to hear this album. On a quality system, the bass is superb. Yes, it's a bit better on SH's 2ch here, as well as the 1/2 speed DD Labs, and dbx LP. If you're not hearing that, kindly check your bass management. Jim Fielder's bass is reproduced superbly, especially during the "middle 8" jazz segments on most tracks. Try Smiling Phases for starters.

I was most impressed with Steve Hoffman's 2ch remastering. When time allows, I will a/b it to both the CBS and MoFi SACD's.

BTW: the original LP release of Greatest Hits, as well as the Quad and original CD of GH have the single versions. The remastered CD of Greatest Hits features the album versions, with bonus tracks.

Yes, there are a few things I would have done differently, like a couple more BS&T arrangements of covers, with perhaps an abbreviated Blues Pt. II. I would not have edited Spinning Wheel in Quad. Small complaints for sure.

I would have added the bonus tracks (in 2ch), offered on the remastered CD, as well as both previous SACD releases. Leaving off the bonus tracks is done way too often on later releases, especially audiophile ones. With the inclusion of those, this would be the only version of this you would ever need.

I've seen this band 5 or 6 times live. The last time was a few years ago with a different vocalist, Rob Paparozzi. Forgettable. I loved Al Kooper, Jerry Fischer and Jerry LaCroix. Still, David Clayton-Thomas was the best BS&T vocalist.

This BS&T album has elements that no other has. Clive Davis agreed to sign Chicago (Transit Authority) IF Guercio would produce this BS&T album. It also has some "leftovers" from Al Kooper, like his (and Halligan's arrangement) of You've Made Me So Very Happy. BS&T W/Al Kooper doing it live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLenEHCRbsE On this clip, it is followed by I Love You More than You'll Ever Know.

You NEED this!

I'm very pleased with this disc. The overall sound quality is very good with plenty of activity (brass and drums) in the rears. As is noted above, the mix really does fill the room without being overwhelming. I could list a few quibbles, but why bother? This disc is a winner. A 9 for me.

Overall a very fun listen of an album I know very well. I noticed a little disjointed snippet of the end of Blues - Pt. II pops up again at the start of the reprise of Variations on a Theme at the end.

Quad is finally perfected !
- just add time delay , distance , sound pressure and subwoofers

Quad is finally perfected !
- just add time delay , distance , sound pressure and subwoofers

So the format from the 70's is finally vindicated...it was ahead of its time..the founding fathers should be proud to see its comtemporary offspring...it's time to empty out those vaults of treasured quad releases and let them breathe!...

The problem with Quadraphonic recordings is that you really need to use 4 full range loudspeakers. Otherwise, your dealing with using bass management and that's not how quad was developed. To this day, I still treasure my 5.1 mixes and choose that format over 4.0 because, I feel, it can sound better.

I'm happy to see this disc getting high marks! :)

And for 5.1, you really need 5 matched full range speakers and a subwoofer.
How do you guys feel about the concept that the right place (optimum imaging and the such) for the sources of the main sounds (regular speakers) may not be optimal for low frequencies?

The above includes opinions/experience on the non-directionality of sounds below, say, 80 Hz.

IMHO, EVERYTHING is directional, it just gets more directional as frequency rises. Even at the lowest frequencies, I can detect where the bass is coming from. I agree with Brian, MATCHED full range speakers are where it's at.

And for 5.1, you really need 5 matched full range speakers and a subwoofer.

IMHO, EVERYTHING is directional, it just gets more directional as frequency rises. Even at the lowest frequencies, I can detect where the bass is coming from. I agree with Brian, MATCHED full range speakers are where it's at.

If that were true with 5.1, there wouldn't be an option for bass management. There is no bass management with the development of quad. None that I've read about. I don't think it was even popular then? Though, speaking of 5.1, I do agree that having better main loudspeakers is an advantage to smaller bookshelf or satellite speakers but not everyone can afford or have the space for larger speakers. This, among other things, is where a sub and bass management can be advantageous and you still only need a speaker that can be run crossed over at 40-80 Hz.

And to answer Linda's comment on full range speakers, if you can hear bass frequencies below a certain point, you either have a problem with the subwoofer or the subwoofer interacting with the room that's causing what you are hearing.

I know this discussion should not be in this particular Thread. So, hopefully, it will get moved to the appropriate one. :)

I gave it an 8. It sounds really good, if perhaps a bit thin to my ears. Both of my subwoofers are on the fritz, so I am listening to it with just my four main speakers (JBL L100T and 4410A) which may not be true audiophile quality but are not lacking ability to produce bass.

Great album! Overall the quad mix is excellent although a few of the choices are rather odd, such as in “More and More” - drums placed right rear & bass left rear (!). I so wish the quad hadn’t used 3 edited single versions: “And When I Die”, “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” and “Spinning Wheel”. All three exclude some wonderful bits that I very much miss, although “Spinning Wheel” features a brief guitar solo not found in the LP version. Disappointing, but of course the decision to use these shortened versions was made long ago and are no fault of the AF team.

The remastered stereo sounds fantastic but curiously the centered elements (most noticeably lead vocal) lean to the left on the SACD layer yet are perfectly centered on the CD layer. Weird.

Despite the slight nitpicking I’m thrilled to have this one and will be playing it often. A big ‘thank you’ to AF for this terrific reissue campaign. A 9!

“Multichannel Maven: Brian Moura” - nifty (y)

Great album! Overall the quad mix is excellent although a few of the choices are rather odd, such as in “More and More” - drums placed right rear & bass left rear (!). I so wish the quad hadn’t used 3 edited single versions: “And When I Die”, “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” and “Spinning Wheel”. All three exclude some wonderful bits that I very much miss, although “Spinning Wheel” features a brief guitar solo not found in the LP version. Disappointing, but of course the decision to use these shortened versions was made long ago and are no fault of the AF team.

The remastered stereo sounds fantastic but curiously the centered elements (most noticeably lead vocal) lean to the left on the SACD layer yet are perfectly centered on the CD layer. Weird.

Despite the slight nitpicking I’m thrilled to have this one and will be playing it often. A big ‘thank you’ to AF for this terrific reissue campaign. A 9!

“Multichannel Maven: Brian Moura” - nifty (y)

I'm with you man....I was listening to Spinning Wheel...and towards the last part of the song...I was so looking forward to the extended song...only to go quiet. Bummer! But yeah...great disc.

So interesting that you made the comment about the lead vocals seeming to be more left channel prominent. My typical casual spot to sit when listening to music or watching a movie is toward the left side of my couch. I rarely move to the place on the couch where I am dead center between all of the speakers. With a normal surround channel recording it does not really make a big difference in one channel being prominently louder than another. I still get a good sense of the placement of vocals and instruments. However, the first thing I noticed in my first listen to the new BS&T release is that it sounded like the lead vocals were coming from the left channel. Since you noticed it as well it makes me wonder if the mix is not panned dead center for the vocals?

Back