Quad LP/Tape Poll Blood, Sweat & Tears: Greatest Hits [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate BS&T's Greatest Hits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Utter crap

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ 31170 from 1972.

Side 1:

You've Made Me So Very Happy
I Can't Quit Her
Go Down Gamblin'
Hi-De-Ho
Sometimes in Winter
And When I Die

Side 2:

Spinning Wheel
Lisa, Listen to Me
I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know
Lucretia Mac Evil
God Bless the Child

For the Q8, "And When I Die" is moved to the end of Program 2, "Lisa" to the end of Program 1.

ED :)

To me, this cartridge was one of the biggest let-downs when I was first getting into Quad. Love B,S&T and the Greatest Hits album is just a natch for Quad. However, whomever decided to mix this one either had no idea what they were doing OR were simply following the edicts of SQ-mixing to the letter. Sometimes, I wonder if the SQ-master accidentally (or maybe even purposefully) was used for the Q8. The mixes are laid out eerily similar to some of the mixes found on the Mike Robin reels, but on this Q8, it's like they decided to blend all channels by 25% to avoid any silent channels. But by doing that, they completely ruined the four-corner discreteness. This is simply one of the least discrete Columbia Q8 titles. I wouldn't say avoid, but I would say don't expect much. :rolleyes:

No doubt controversial. Could several of us have created a better mix? Probably.

Is the mix horrible? No.
Is it a "discrete mix?" Sort of... give it an 8, or 9 at best.
Fidelity? Good for late 60's - early 70's.
The music? Absolutely stellar. Half of one of my 10 all-time fave albums, BS&T 2. Among my 10 fave musical acts. Tracks from the other 3 albums had no other Quad mixes. OK, Child has since come out as 5.1, 3 & 4 have not. Oh, I'd love to hear new surround mixes of 3 & 4! Can I go 12? OK, then 10.

9.5 to 9, I can't even give this a 9 in good conscience. Music is way too good. Round it up to 10.

Got the Q8 for free the day I had bought my Akai. Already had all 4 albums. Q8 still my most played version. I also bought SQ, CD, redone CD w/long versions, and 2ch SACD.

Back