Blu-Ray Disc Error: Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (Special Edition, grey)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know who authored this disc, and I can assure you my copy plays just fine so it cannot possibly be a disc issue unless you have a very rare faulty pressing.
Or a damaged disc - is it scratched at all?
Either way it should be replaced - would it help if I ripped my copy to an ISO and sent you the image?
Neil, he is talking about the physical disc going "bad" which has nothing to do with the steps up to and including the authoring. It's the physical disc that's in error no doubt. I have unreadable CD's at this point so it's not impossible that some of the physical Blu-Ray discs that were good when purchased are now having some issues with playback. Probably not a widespread issue in the world of Blu-Ray at this point but here and there a problem may exist. There is this article for instance which references QOL as having discs with this issue.

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2019/... disc could,each featuring the latest updates.

Last edited:
Neil, he is talking about the physical disc going "bad" which has nothing to do with the steps up to and including the authoring. It's the physical disc that's in error no doubt. I have unreadable CD's at this point so it's not impossible that some of the physical Blu-Ray discs that were good when purchased are now having some issues with playback. Probably not a widespread issue in the world of Blu-Ray at this point but here and there a problem may exist. There is this article for instance which references QOL as having discs with this issue.

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2019/... disc could,each featuring the latest updates.

Interesting.
I had a similar thing happen to me with the Immersion Blu of DSOTM and was lucky enough to eventually get a replacement.
I wonder what the factory did to cause this issue? Physical replicated media are not supposed to do this - I know only too well that dye based -R discs go bad all the time, but I have never seen it with pressed discs as they use a thin metal layer between plastic substrate & if the bonding time is sufficient it's not supposed to happen.
I can also add 'Inception' & 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' to the list - my copies of those (both factory titles) will not load at all in any player yet they both used to. I had written it off to the 'naughty board' in my Oppo causing issues but they might be the same problem.

Interesting.
I had a similar thing happen to me with the Immersion Blu of DSOTM and was lucky enough to eventually get a replacement.
I wonder what the factory did to cause this issue? Physical replicated media are not supposed to do this - I know only too well that dye based -R discs go bad all the time, but I have never seen it with pressed discs as they use a thin metal layer between plastic substrate & if the bonding time is sufficient it's not supposed to happen.
I can also add 'Inception' & 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' to the list - my copies of those (both factory titles) will not load at all in any player yet they both used to. I had written it off to the 'naughty board' in my Oppo causing issues but they might be the same problem.
I have never actually had a burned DVD or Blu-Ray become unreadable and I have hundreds of them at this point. Maybe I have been lucky in just not having to read the ones that are bad, because unless I have to use one to restore something they remain idle. I do believe that also buying good quality writable media is a factor as well. Have you tried those discs you are having issues with in a computer?

My player is a so called "premium" model :rolleyes: from Pioneer. Bought it 2012. And the disc played as far as I remember. This was before I got into surround. 5.1 is quite new to me, started in 2018. But it seems to be an ageing effect as well.
This link explains it indeed: Why do Blu-ray discs become unreadable and how do you fix this problem? - Son-Vidéo.com: blog

No CD, one DVD (PG Secret World) had an issue. Blu-Rays: This one we discuss has a serious problem and Abbey Road - The Beatles that did only play up top Golden Slumbers from the first play on. That disc was replaced immediately.

Anesthetize is sold out. No chance to replace it. So Kscope - if you read this - please give me an replacement disc. Thank you very much.

My player is a so called "premium" model :rolleyes: from Pioneer. Bought it 2012. And the disc played as far as I remember. This was before I got into surround. 5.1 is quite new to me, started in 2018. But it seems to be an ageing effect as well.
This link explains it indeed: Why do Blu-ray discs become unreadable and how do you fix this problem? - Son-Vidéo.com: blog

No CD, one DVD (PG Secret World) had an issue. Blu-Rays: This one we discuss has a serious problem and Abbey Road - The Beatles that did only play up top Golden Slumbers from the first play on. That disc was replaced immediately.

Anesthetize is sold out. No chance to replace it. So Kscope - if you read this - please give me an replacement disc. Thank you very much.

Obviously, your 2012 Pioneer might be in need of firmware updates which have been offered from the hardware manufacturers on a fairly steady basis over the years.

A lot of the new blu ray discs have been authored with these firmware updates a necessity in order to play them properly.

Have no idea if your Pioneer has been consistent in offering these updates but I'd check if I were you.

Last edited:

Sad that the disc is not playing. If KScope cannot send a replacement, take the offer from @neil wilkes He has helped me out in the past as well (with a Steven Wilson dvd-a). Neil authores a lot of dvd-a and bd-a/v.

Obviously, your 2012 Pioneer might be in need of firmware updates which have been offered from the hardware manufacturers on a fairly steady basis over the years.

A lot of the new blu ray discs have been authored with these firmware updates a necessity in order to play them properly.

Have no idea if your Pioneer has been consistent in offering these updates but I'd check if I were you.
Indeed, one new BDA did not start, but was recognized by the player. The Pioneer support wrote me something like "that could happen if you order Blu-Rays online from foreign countries". It was the latest birdsong at morning BDA I believe which I ordered at Burning Shed UK.
My latest firmware update was 2019-July-31. Still no newer one available.

Excellent support for a premium product, isn't it? Cannot recommend this brand.

But regarding the PT Blu-Ray: it's the disc itself, it's degraded over time, now it's simple faulty.

Back