Blu-Ray Disc Error: Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (Special Edition, grey)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-K

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (Special Edition, grey)

I've this beautiful grey deluxe book, containing one of my favourite concerts on CD, DVD and Blu-Ray.
Ordered this at Burning Shed, UK in 2010. After a very long time I decided to watch it at Sylvester evening
because of "alone at home". Just to have a fine end of this ******* year.

But:
The Blu-Ray disc wasn't playing. It was not recognized by my player. OK, what is wrong? So I
tried several drives but those didn't recognize this disc either. There are no scratches visible.
But there is something wrong, see the inner ring. This does not look okay for me.

Disappointing!

Then I wrote to Burnings Shed's support. They tried to help me, even they tried to get Kscope to get in contact with me.
No success. No reaction.

I wrote three times or more directly to Kscope using their form on their website, asking for a replacement disc.
No success.

They even did not answer me. Just ignoring me for months. Very disappointing. Kscope is my favourite label, because
I like many artists that they have in their portfolio.

Burning Shed's support gave me the hint trying to get support here in QQ somehow. That's exactly what I'm doing right now.

Just wanting to watch this great concert with a great band and great sound on Blu-Ray... so sad!

I'm still hoping to get support and a replacement disc.

PT_Anesthetize_BD_1.jpgPT_Anesthetize_BD_2.jpgPT_Anesthetize_BD_3.jpg

What aholes. Happy to take your money and forget your name.
There clearly is some thing wrong with the bluray format. The failure rate seems high for discs that are ten years or less old
I fear there is going to be increasing bad disc unplayable syndrome in the future such that the general public is going to become aware and pissed.
Don't tell me kscope has no extra discs on a shelf OR they are unable to at least provide you with a download.
Maybe a Russian supplier can help you out.

What aholes. Happy to take your money and forget your name.
There clearly is some thing wrong with the bluray format. The failure rate seems high for discs that are ten years or less old
I fear there is going to be increasing bad disc unplayable syndrome in the future such that the general public is going to become aware and pissed.
Don't tell me kscope has no extra discs on a shelf OR they are unable to at least provide you with a download.
Maybe a Russian supplier can help you out.

The failure mostly occurs with Music Only BD~As. Occasionally, glitches will occur on BD~Vs even UHD 4K discs, but it doesn't seem as prevalent as on music only blu ray audio discs.

As far as the Russians 'helping one out...." ONLY IF YOU'RE WILLING TO PAY A RANSOM, Jeffie!

The failure mostly occurs with Music Only BD~As

I’ve found a couple of BDV recently that have died (and BDAs of course)

I wonder if playing discs more often contributes to these issues. BDAs would get played more often than movies and concerts I would presume.

Pretty poor form from Kscope on a replacement disc. I realise they wouldn’t hold stock but they should acknowledge the issue and prepare a small batch disc manufacturing run. I’d suggest if one disc has failed there’s likely more.

Another reminder to back up your discs!

Sorry to hear of difficulties. Just got mine down off the shelf and put the Blu Ray disc in and all is well with show playback. I don't play Blu Ray discs off the PC but it was clearly recognized there and displayed basic content details.

I cannot excuse the lack of K-Scope customer service, they should have at least acknowledged your email and spelled out the situation. This (special edition and 2 disc (DVD/BD) versions are now long out of print and commanding top dollar these days. Thinking the distribution licensing has expired and reverted to SW by now. Given that this release is now 10 years old, this would be well past the time of a having a reserve stock of replacement discs especially for any title that's OOP and rights may be expired.

When a technical failure is widely reported, that launches a replacement disc campaign with new corrected media. This is the first I've heard of an issue, I've not had any of my BDs fail. If the expectation is that music labels are factoring potential long term media failure as stocking criteria, I'm not seeing that from any label. If there's no disc replacement campaign, there's no reason to have any inventory left to support it.

Last edited:
Look into MAKEMKV to backup your BD discs. Pretty simple process.
Thanks timbre4. You know, I've heard about MAKEMKV for many years on the forum now, but as I haven't approached backing up yet, I didn't realize it was a free software. Well, downloaded now, backing up at some point in the future.

Sometimes I think BD-R's are better. I just got out the first backup I did of the Liquid Tension Experiments Blu-Ray from 2009 and it plays without issues. It's 12 years old. I have yet to encounter a Blu-Ray backup that doesn't play. Also, sometimes a disc will play in a computer drive when it is not recognized in other drives.

Was the disc manufactured by Optimal in Germany? So far I think all the BDs I have had fail were made by them, including everyone in the Pink Floyd Early Years Box (which were replaced)!

Was the disc manufactured by Optimal in Germany? So far I think all the BDs I have had fail were made by them, including everyone in the Pink Floyd Early Years Box (which were replaced)!
How can I find this out? It's from Burning Shed, UK. The info on the disc is:
KSCOPE506 L0 IFPILZ08
and
IFPILZ08 KSCOPE506 L1.
IFPILZ08 is hardly to read, used a magnifying glass. It's very small.
I found out: Manufacturer QOL France

Thanks timbre4. You know, I've heard about MAKEMKV for many years on the forum now, but as I haven't approached backing up yet, I didn't realize it was a free software. Well, downloaded now, backing up at some point in the future.

Well, free for a month. Well worth the cost though. I use it to rip all my BD-A's as well as UHD Blu-Rays. Also good for trimming away unnecessary audio and subtitle tracks from MKVs to save space.

How can I find this out? It's from Burning Shed, UK. The info on the disc is:
KSCOPE506 L0 IFPILZ08
and
IFPILZ08 KSCOPE506 L1.
IFPILZ08 is hardly to read, used a magnifying glass. It's very small.
I found out: Manufacturer QOL France
That has me worried!

When its a one or two disc manufacturers having occasional failures (and most manufacturers are good) it is most likely a production batch quality issue. When it gets to a largish number of different disc failures, and if we see more different manufacturer failings, then it points at materials problems and/or an inherent issue with the specification/design/construction of the Blu-ray disc. The issue for our hobby is that we see limited production runs, often never repeated, or discs only in expensive box sets, then we get our fingers burned. When we had the bad vinyl days producing poor quality LPs it didn't do the industry any good, but at present companies are moving towards renting out the music, hence the rise of the Streamers, and the resultant poor incomes for musicians.

From what I can gather the Record Companies buy production slot batches for a number of disc titles, so its not continuous cycles of production of the same disc.

I need to back up more of my discs!

@MK.
What is the problem, please?
AFAIK there is nothing wrong with this title - and if there were, you would see the issue on every device.
My experience with Blu-ray is that 99% of all problems are player related, because so many manufacturers simply obsolete duff players with firmware issues rather than actually issue an update.

@MK.
What is the problem, please?
AFAIK there is nothing wrong with this title - and if there were, you would see the issue on every device.
My experience with Blu-ray is that 99% of all problems are player related, because so many manufacturers simply obsolete duff players with firmware issues rather than actually issue an update.
The disc does not play - with the latest update from 2019 or so - nor is it recognized by any blu-ray drive as disc. Nothing. I've hundreds of discs that play perfectly. It's for sure this faulty disc. Backup is not possible.

For me it makes no sense to buy another blu-ray player just being able to play this "error-disc".

Attachments

• PT_A.jpg
    PT_A.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 76
Back