HiRez Poll Blue Man Group - AUDIO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Blue Man Group - AUDIO

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

This was a tough call between a 9 and a 10.
The only reason to downmark it is that it is a DVD18 format disc, with the Video_TS on one side & the Audio_TS on the other - and they are not correctly labelled.
If you put the disc in DVD-A up, you get the DTS/Dobly Dirgital streams.

That aside, I didn't believe it when Cai wrote that "The Complex" is not as good as this disc. Sorry to doubt you, Cai.
This is way better - although it must be said it is a different feel to the music.
"Audio" is very heavily drum oriented - very percissive indeed - and it catches you out at first. Starts off VERY quietly, so you think "Aha. Not oversquashed, but actually too quiet" and crank up the amps.
Then it kicks in properly, and the room fills up with the wildest drumming & percussion I have ever heard.
Once this grabs you, it just doesn't let go - pounding, almost tribal in it's execution, it is a stunning sounding disc - one dreads to think of how much resolution is lost for those who have to be content with a CD version, or a lossy stream.

This is what DVD-A was invented for.
If you don't have it, find it & buy it.
NOW.

I saw Blue Man in Vegas a few years back and had a blast. One of the few shows where having second row seats may not be the best idea - they give you a rain coat if you are seated in the first few rows.

For some reason, I always avoided picking this up - was never quite sure if it the music would have the same impact without the outrageous visuals. But based on Neil's recommendation I will take the plunge - the good news is that it is available at Tower online http://www.towerrecords.com for $15.99 - if you place a $20.00 order you get free (US only) shipping.(y)

I've got this disc, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to rate it fairly. To add to what Elmer said about not having "the same impact without the outrageous visuals", I'd like to say that I can't imagine enjoying this as much in stereo. So, IMHO, it needs either a) the visuals or b) a surround mix. And, of course, you have to be in the mood.

I really dig their concert DVD - really fun - but the sound isn't that great in my opinion.

This one is a 10

Prior to reading Neil's post, I thought that my disc was labled wrong and I had to remember to flip it on the reverse side to get DVD-A.

Very catchy drum beats and a mix to use as a demo.

Do not miss this one:smokin

I give this one a 10 also, Fantastic surround mix. Great music too. This was my first disc by them and it is definately the best.:banana:

dr. simple said:
I've got this disc, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to rate it fairly. To add to what Elmer said about not having "the same impact without the outrageous visuals", I'd like to say that I can't imagine enjoying this as much in stereo. So, IMHO, it needs either a) the visuals or b) a surround mix. And, of course, you have to be in the mood.

I really dig their concert DVD - really fun - but the sound isn't that great in my opinion.

This isn't stereo!
You get 5.1 @ 24/96 MLP, plus DTS & DD versions.
And it's not the concert video either, so I'm confused.....

neil wilkes said:
This isn't stereo!
You get 5.1 @ 24/96 MLP, plus DTS & DD versions.
And it's not the concert video either, so I'm confused.....

Neil - I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant to say was:
I like the Blue Man Group WHEN:
1. You can SEE them, as in their concert DVD, because the music doesn't have "the same impact without the outrageous visuals" (as Elmer said), OR
2. When they are in SURROUND sound, as on either of their two DVD-As.

I have their concert DVD, which I enjoy because of the visuals (but as I mentioned, the sound on this DVD isn't very good).
I have their "Audio" DVD-A, which I enjoy because of the surround sound.
But I don't enjoy them nearly as much in stereo. This was meant as a commentary on their music. IMHO, it needs one of the two extra dimensions mentioned above.

Email (and the like) can be so difficult at times! :mad:@:

So, in my own awkward way, I'm agreeing with you guys! :)

Yes, they are unique. I can recommend the DVD-V "The Complex Rock Tour live" because the show is so much fun to watch, a Blue Man take on the rock concert cliché's.

That said, this is a very nice disc on it's own (if you don't hate drumming). A great surround demo too.
Only thing against it is that about halfway I think it starts over again :confused: That Mandelbrot theme returns a couple of times. :eek:

Yes, they are unique. I can recommend the DVD-V "The Complex Rock Tour live" because the show is so much fun to watch, a Blue Man take on the rock concert cliché's.

I recently borrowed both discs from dr. simple, and gave them a listen (Thanks, Paul). The DVD-A has superior sound, but I would also recommend the DVD-V because you really need to see the performance. These guys are extremely entertaining, and the sounds they create are very unique. I didn't expect to like them as much as I did. This music is just perfect for surround. Great mixes on both , Highly recommended! (y) (y)

This was a tough call between a 9 and a 10.
"Audio" is very heavily drum oriented - very percissive indeed - and it catches you out at first. Starts off VERY quietly, so you think "Aha. Not oversquashed, but actually too quiet" and crank up the amps.
Then it kicks in properly, and the room fills up with the wildest drumming & percussion I have ever heard.

I've only listened to the first three tracks, but this was EXACTLY the scenario that happened to me today. It had just arrived from Amazon with Weird Al's Straight From Lynwood DualDisc (and I swore I'd never buy one). I played Weird Al for a few tracks first and it was LOUD, I had to turn down my Yamaha a full 15-20 dB from what I usually play SACD/DVD-A at. Not a bad mix though and Weird Al is just plain awesome.

Anyway, I popped in the Audio disc next. . .and I said, "Nice, much quieter but a little too quiet!", and I cranked it up to 10 dB above my normal listening level. Oops. . .:D

I was entranced by the percussion, but I had to turn it off after a few songs, responsibilities called. . .:rolleyes: Anyway, I can't wait to get back to this disc, and I'll hold off any vote until I can complete the disc a few times. If you love percussion, you absolutely MUST buy this disc based on the first three songs alone. This was my first exposure to BMG and I must say I'm a new fan.

And right now, Amazon is selling it for $10.50. . .so pick it up while the price is HOT.

Best,
Josh

snaffued a copy on E-bay the other week £1.50 with postage. My bargain of teh year. What a great disc and agreed much better than Complex which I thought was quite good. a 10 in my book. and for Neil i dont know if its just your copy or not but my copy has the DVDA side playing whith the DVDA logo up.

I picked my copy up at Fry's a few weeks ago and it like Neil is describing. Its a flipper disc but when the DVD-A is showing up the Video layer files play. Must turn it over so the DVD-V shows for the DVD-A to play. Opposite from what I'm accustomed to for this type disc.

I recently went back to play this disc again. It is one of those times I wish I could alter (up) my vote to a 9. The mix, recording and mastering are really excellent.
My disc has the DVD-audio/-video labels on the correct side, although hard to read (yellow on white).

This is incredibly discrete and dynamic with astoundingly deep, powerful bass when called for. I've had this for quite a while and listened to it a few times, but tonight it just really grabbed me. :smokin I'd say the mix and fidelity are an upper 9 and as a drummer, the music is a solid 8 or better.

Audio is putting it mildly in naming this release.
Totally discrete with all speakers in use at some stage and it sure wangs (Technical term) around the room
As Frogmort said : If you like deep,powerful bass and a rip roaring rhythm section, then this is for you.
Its a solid foot tapper and way back in 1999 they knew how to mix a great surround release.
And as Neil said : It really rocks!!
Nothing Blue about this, it's a sure fire reddy 10

How is this anything but a 10?! A delightfully intense mix throughout. Fun, engaging, fantastic. Plus the only (quasi)official KLF surround mix we’ll probably ever get with the bonus track Last Train To Trancentral

Even the easter egg joke about plumbing has a subtle but sinister 5.1 mix

Last edited:
Back