Bluray Players w/Multi-channel audio DLNA similar to/better than Oppo 103, best iOS DLNA app

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try and get the Kodi remote working as well. Does the bonjour service need to be installed for it to work ?

I don’t think so. The app communicates via wifi on your network so it’s just a standard network protocol.

When you run the app there’s a option to auto find your Kodi (if it’s running and on the same network). Once you’ve done that it loads all your music (artists, albums, songs, playlists and associated artwork), then just select what you want to play and/or start queuing selections for playback.

I don’t think so. The app communicates via wifi on your network so it’s just a standard network protocol.

When you run the app there’s a option to auto find your Kodi (if it’s running and on the same network). Once you’ve done that it loads all your music (artists, albums, songs, playlists and associated artwork), then just select what you want to play and/or start queuing selections for playback.
Initially I connected the Kodi Music Remote app (iOS) to Kodi (running on a fresh Windows 10 mini-PC), using the Mini-PC’s IP address. This worked fine, with no bonjour service. Later I installed bonjour, so the Kodi Music Remote can automatically find the mini-PC should its IP address ever change.

Initially I connected the Kodi Music Remote app (iOS) to Kodi (running on a fresh Windows 10 mini-PC), using the Mini-PC’s IP address. This worked fine, with no bonjour service. Later I installed bonjour, so the Kodi Music Remote can automatically find the mini-PC should its IP address ever change.
Strange. I had to install bonjour. Kodi kept telling me I was missing when I went to turn on zeroconf, which is what is what kore app as to do. I should have just gone the manual route, like you did earlier. So no issues

When you run the app there’s a option to auto find your Kodi (if it’s running and on the same network). Once you’ve done that it loads all your music (artists, albums, songs, playlists and associated artwork), then just select what you want to play and/
Strange. I had to install bonjour. Kodi kept telling me I was missing when I went to turn on zeroconf, which is what is what kore app as to do. I should have just gone the manual route, like you did earlier. So no issues
yes, I got the same error message when I first attempted to enable zeroconf (bonjour) within Kodi. Even so, manual iOS app setup works if within Kodi you’ve enabled: 1) HTTP remote control and 2) remote control from applications from other systems.

Later I installed bonjour. Then Kodi’s zeroconf option worked, enabling automatic connection to the iOS app.

What's the best software to play FLAC 2.0 & 5.1 files on a PC with the best sound? I have a lot of 96/24 kHz FLAC files too.

I am mostly using VLC (ok results) and I have tried Foobar (which I don't like)

Provided you use the Wasapi driver, they should all sound the same playing flac. There are some misinformed folks (and people with hidden agendas) apparently in other forums that seem to think the some programs sound better. If the player and interface are working correctly the receiver/processor should be seeing the same data downstream. Foobar, Jriver, Musicbee, Kodi, MPC-HC are the players that come to mind. It will come down to personal preferences, interface and overall functionality.

I really don’t wanna sound like a software buff (or jerk for that matter), but what software being used in terms of ”sound quality” is likely not to be very crucial (I mean if two softwares can handle mch flac then they would most likely do just that, handling it).

However things like format compability, loading speed etc are more likely to distinguish one software program to another. As far as I know Jriver eats basically every format there is. But does it play mch flac ”better” than VLC? Doubt it.

Provided you use the Wasapi driver, they should all sound the same playing flac. There are some misinformed folks (and people with hidden agendas) apparently in other forums that seem to think the some programs sound better. If the player and interface are working correctly the receiver/processor should be seeing the same data downstream.
I really don’t wanna sound like a software buff (or jerk for that matter), but what software being used in terms of ”sound quality” is likely not to be very crucial (I mean if two softwares can handle mch flac then they would most likely do just that, handling it).
Agreed but that presumes that all one wants is bit-perfect, unprocessed output. Once one considers issues involving processing (DSP) for bass management, EQ, up/downsampling, up/downmixing, etc., how and how well it is done affects the sound.

Agreed but that presumes that all one wants is bit-perfect, unprocessed output. Once one considers issues involving processing (DSP) for bass management, EQ, up/downsampling, up/downmixing, etc., how and how well it is done affects the sound.
Yes. The OP mentioned their use of VLC and flac, which does not do any such processing.
Actually one of these days I am going to try out the Dirac processing software.

I have an X800 as well. The display is basic track-artist-album-time-sampling rate. No album artwork even from embedded folder pictures.
For people with a Sony UBP-X800, do you know if 5.1 surround playback from FLAC on a USB stick works using the coaxial digital out or only via HDMI?

For people with a Sony UBP-X800, do you know if 5.1 surround playback from FLAC on a USB stick works using the coaxial digital out or only via HDMI?

I just tried it. It only plays stereo at a low volume so no coax won't work for 5.1 FLAC via USB.

Last edited:
What's the best software to play FLAC 2.0 & 5.1 files on a PC with the best sound? I have a lot of 96/24 kHz FLAC files too.

I am mostly using VLC (ok results) and I have tried Foobar (which I don't like)

Liking Foobar is 90% related to find a skin that suits your preference. Sound-wise, it has to move digital data at a low speed comparing to other cpu-heavy task, so whatever player you use it's fine.

Back