Bob Dylan "Time Out Of Mind" - SDE Blu-Ray #8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short interview about the Atmos mix with Michael Brauer
Fascinating. So it sounds like the process was as follows:
  1. Michael Brauer mixes album in stereo from original multitracks, then exports stems from his session
  2. Fernando Reyes receives stems and does the spatial positioning over headphones
  3. They both go to a real Atmos room to check the results and make final tweaks
I'm kind of surprised that someone of Brauer's clout doesn't have regular access to a real Atmos mixing room - and I got the vibe that the stereo remix was what he really cared about, and the Atmos was an unimportant side-request from the label that got passed off to his assistant - but the results do sound pretty good in 7.1.4 off Apple Music.

1. Michael Brauer mixes album in stereo from original multitracks, then exports stems from his session
  2. Fernando Reyes receives stems and does the spatial positioning over headphones
I'm kind of surprised that someone of Brauer's clout doesn't have regular access to a real Atmos mixing room - and I got the vibe that the stereo remix was what he really cared about, and the Atmos was an unimportant side-request from the label that got passed off to his assistant - but the results do sound pretty good in 7.1.4 off Apple Music.

Well, it certainly sounds like he had an epiphany at 3:20 as far as headphones vs. speakers.

I also give him a ton of credit for recognizing that his audience is not the one-percenter Atmos snobs on this forum, but the lumpen proletariat who live on their phones, and the obligation to render it effectively in that medium.

Mega-props to the authors of this video to edit it down to four minutes, rather than the more rambling stuff we've seen heretofore.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 4.53.04 PM.png

My answer: It's way better with 12 or more, but we all do the best we can, even if it's only airpod pros.

Podcast interview with Paul from SDE on Dylan.FM: s0123-time-out-of-mind-on-blu-ray-the-2022-mix-in-hi-res-atmos-with-paul-sinclair-of-superdeluxeedition

Short interview about the Atmos mix with Michael Brauer:

Hey everyone, I'm the one who made/posted those. Thanks for the kind words.

I did a companion blog post about Atmos in general and the Dylan releases in specific, with info and recommendations for interested fans who might want to setup and listen. Would love any feedback on it - either here or you can email via the About/Contact link on the website.

The Atmos page is here.

It sounds good, but not much in the heights, so nothing I will buy for that reason.

Podcast interview with Paul from SDE on Dylan.FM: s0123-time-out-of-mind-on-blu-ray-the-2022-mix-in-hi-res-atmos-with-paul-sinclair-of-superdeluxeedition

Short interview about the Atmos mix with Michael Brauer:

Sound to me like Michael Brauer doesn’t particularly like or care about a great Atmos mix. IMO
I also think he cares about the stereo mix exclusively and the Atmos mix is an after thought to him. Michael Brauer seems to not have any experience hearing a great Atmos mix in a decent room. I sure hope I am wrong as I am looking forward to Time out of Mind.

Sound to me like Michael Brauer doesn’t particularly like or care about a great Atmos mix. IMO
I also think he cares about the stereo mix exclusively and the Atmos mix is an after thought to him. Michael Brauer seems to not have any experience hearing a great Atmos mix in a decent room. I sure hope I am wrong as I am looking forward to Time out of Mind.
I thought he clarified that a bit more as he went further in the discussion, separating the differences of stereo/headphones/down-mix to an immersive Atmos mix in a room; with the Atmos being much more satisfying. Isn't that kind of what he was saying or did I hear it wrong?

I thought he clarified that a bit more as he went further in the discussion, separating the differences of stereo/headphones/down-mix to an immersive Atmos mix in a room; with the Atmos being much more satisfying. Isn't that kind of what he was saying or did I hear it wrong?
I didn’t hear that part so I hope you are correct. I get nervous when mixers talk about Immersive mixes as if a more discrete mix would be out of place with Bob Dylan. A discrete mix does not have to mean a Pink Floyd DSOM Quad Mix. Listen to the Band - Cahoots Atmos mix for example. I believe more than not, people on this forum would prefer a more discrete mix IMO.

I didn’t hear that part so I hope you are correct. I get nervous when mixers talk about Immersive mixes as if a more discrete mix would be out of place with Bob Dylan. A discrete mix does not have to mean a Pink Floyd DSOM Quad Mix. Listen to the Band - Cahoots Atmos mix for example. I believe more than not, people on this forum would prefer a more discrete mix IMO.
I say we just have to wait until the SDE BD is in hand, and then judge that aspect. Appropriateness of a surround mix to a style of music is an important factor IMO. I'm of the opinion that "Immersive" is just a very generic term. A mix can contain lots of little discrete moments with more of a lighter dynamic touch to other things like strings or pedal steel guitars etc; and be called "Immersive." Or a more synth. featured album of ambience (maybe Ambisonic) and still be considered "Immersive." Or it could be something in Atmos like 'Booka Shade', 'Max Cooper' or 'Kraftwerk' that is more discrete and also appropriate.

I started a thread a long while back that asks about that sort of thing, so I'll Bump it here for kicks-

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ke-surround-mixes-to-sound.26572/#post-428497

I sure hope I am wrong as I am looking forward to Time out of Mind.
Have you streamed the Atmos mix? It seemed more adventurous than some of the prior Dylan 5.1 titles (Blonde On Blonde, Slow Train Coming, etc) to my ears, with elements like organ and steel guitar appearing mostly from behind.

Have you streamed the Atmos mix? It seemed more adventurous than some of the prior Dylan 5.1 titles (Blonde On Blonde, Slow Train Coming, etc) to my ears, with elements like organ and steel guitar appearing mostly from behind.
No I haven’t. I tried setting up Apple TV4k after Christmas but had conflict problems with my Anthem AVM 60 processor & Apple TV 4K to get Dolby Atmos. Sometimes my processor would change back to 5.1.
I have Slow Train Coming but gave away the rest of the Sony Dylan 5.1 sacd (I prefer the MFSL Dylan SACD‘s even though the MFSL are stereo).
I trust your ears and I am not prejudging the mix until I have Time out of Mind Atmos mix in a couple months. Michael Brauer sort of got me going talking about the Immersive mix.

Never heard of the “Shark Tank...”
It's the American equivalent to the British Dragons' Den, which is itself patterned after the Japanese Money Tigers. Entrepreneurs pitch their companies/products/services to a panel of venture capitalists. Your comment was somewhat reminiscent of what a "Shark" or "Dragon" would say when declining to make an investment.

It's the American equivalent to the British Dragons' Den, which is itself patterned after the Japanese Money Tigers. Entrepreneurs pitch their companies/products/services to a panel of venture capitalists. Your comment was somewhat reminiscent of what a "Shark" or "Dragon" would say when declining to make an investment.
In German, it's "Höhle der Löwen" (lions' den). 😉

Still available to order when I checked just now, but wake up and smell the coffee if you've been sleeping on this one, this is your last chance.

Bob Dylan and Sony don't give a damn how many copies this version sells, but SDE might.
The most prestigious exclusive title they've released so far.
Platinum seller and Grammy winner.
Enough said.
You snooze, you lose.

https://www.thesdeshop.com/collecti...x-limited-edition-sde-exclusive-blu-ray-audio

Looks like the Dylan blu-ray “Time Out Of Mind” is still up for pre-order at SDE if any one is still interested.
And I did notice that the “Concert For George” has finally sold out.
So get um while you can!

Back