Bob Dylan "Time Out Of Mind" - SDE Blu-Ray #8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose everybody got the email deal alert from SDE, but Amazon USA has cut the price of the Fragments 5-CD box set that is the companion to this release by 80% to $27.76.

https://a.co/d/gDcTsCd
1677947026688.png

Seems to me this box set is now fairly priced. Wasn’t one of box set cds already released in the previously released Tell Tale Signs box set? The SDE Atmos mix is what I really want and books and stuff aren’t important to me so even at this good price I‘m going to pass on this.

Wasn’t one of box set cds already released in the previously released Tell Tale Signs box set?

Not an exact duplicate, but some tracks, and only on the "Super Deluxe" TTS set with three CDs rather than the standard two-CD version.

Anyone with Apple Music can stream both the new Fragments and the above SD TTS in stereo with higher-than-redbook-CD resolution, FWIW.

I want to say 1750, but I can’t recall exactly where I read that. Does that number ring a bell with anyone?
OK... that was apparently the number for Orbital. Sorry. While slightly annoyed I got it confused with Dylan, I take some solace that I at least remembered it from somewhere. I take my memory victories where I can.

Yeah, that would've been a rather low number considering that TFF eventually made 4500 units (both runs combined).

Not sure if we’ll ever know, but I wonder what impact Paul’s interview on a Dylan podcast had on sales.

Because of the short window to order any of these titles, there’s not a lot of time to market them outside of Paul’s site and his social media. (He does get an assist on sites like this.)

Most of these artists are ones I don’t follow either on social media or a mailing list, so I don’t know how much help Paul gets from them in spreading the word.

I have never really gotten Dylan. I understand the love for his music and lyrics that others have, but it was something that never personally grabbed me. In fairness, I never gave it a huge chance, so that’s on me.

With the SDE release, I wanted to dig a bit more and see if I could discover what I’ve missed... y’know, now that I’m older and allegedly wiser.

I’ve done the same with other artists and it’s usually expensive. (See: Grateful Dead)

With a love for MoFi SACDs, I just ordered what Music Direct had in stock... Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Bob Dylan, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Desire, Oh Mercy, Love and Theft.

I momentarily had the notion that maybe I should wait, think it over and re-consider tomorrow just to be sure I was being a responsible adult when it came to music purchases. Then I remembered I’m not a responsible adult when it comes to music purchases. So to remain true to myself and not create inner turmoil, I clicked the final order button.

I have never really gotten Dylan. I understand the love for his music and lyrics that others have, but it was something that never personally grabbed me. In fairness, I never gave it a huge chance, so that’s on me.

With the SDE release, I wanted to dig a bit more and see if I could discover what I’ve missed... y’know, now that I’m older and allegedly wiser.

I’ve done the same with other artists and it’s usually expensive. (See: Grateful Dead)

With a love for MoFi SACDs, I just ordered what Music Direct had in stock... Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Bob Dylan, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Desire, Oh Mercy, Love and Theft.

I momentarily had the notion that maybe I should wait, think it over and re-consider tomorrow just to be sure I was being a responsible adult when it came to music purchases. Then I remembered I’m not a responsible adult when it comes to music purchases. So to remain true to myself and not create inner turmoil, I clicked the final order button.
I think you will enjoy your new journey listening to Dylan, he must have the largest body of work that I know of. Many phases and styles, but it is always Dylan. I find him very relaxing and I go through phases, I just went through a Dylan phase a few weeks ago, then I got burned out but I know that a listening phase will come again, when and how, that I do not know.
BTW, I own all the Dylan MOFI's including the MONO versions. They are all good.

I think you will enjoy your new journey listening to Dylan, he must have the largest body of work that I know of. Many phases and styles, but it is always Dylan. I find him very relaxing and I go through phases, I just went through a Dylan phase a few weeks ago, then I got burned out but I know that a listening phase will come again, when and how, that I do not know.
BTW, I own all the Dylan MOFI's including the MONO versions. They are all good.
Thanks! I made another few other purchases this morning. I am even more excited now to hear the Time Out Of Mind in Atmos. I’ve mentioned before that it’s like discovering a “new” artist which is always fun.

Thanks! I made another few other purchases this morning. I am even more excited now to hear the Time Out Of Mind in Atmos. I’ve mentioned before that it’s like discovering a “new” artist which is always fun.
If it's the same mix as on Apple Music, it's not much to get excited about, but the music is good. ;)

If you don't stream on Apple Music and appreciate box sets, you can have my second sealed copy of Fragments for the $28 I paid for it for an immersion in the alternate takes and live versions I'm enjoying waiting for the blu ray.

Personally, I don't love stereo mo-fi sacds as much as I love the affordable multichannel Sony SACDs. YMMV.

Poll Thread:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 8.38.08 AM.png

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2051820?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/715109?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6226513?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States

If you don't stream on Apple Music and appreciate box sets, you can have my second sealed copy of Fragments for the $28 I paid for it for an immersion in the alternate takes and live versions I'm enjoying waiting for the blu ray.

Personally, I don't love stereo mo-fi sacds as much as I love the affordable multichannel Sony SACDs. YMMV.

Poll Thread:

View attachment 89631

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2051820?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/715109?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6226513?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States
Thanks for the offer... I appreciate that. I looked into Fragments when the price had dropped the other day to, I believe, the same price you paid it for. (Appears to be back up to $90 now.)

I skipped around the discs a bit on streaming when I saw that price the other day and opted to pass. I’m not big on alternate takes and versions, even with bands I really love. And the live material... well, bootleg is a good word. Great price, though. I hope fans managed to grab it.

For now I’ll stick with the studio albums and see where it takes me.

If it's the same mix as on Apple Music, it's not much to get excited about, but the music is good. ;)
I have kind of wondered if there’s a general consensus on whether the streaming version of an album is noticeably weaker than the physical version of the same mix. Is the compression for streaming making a difference to those with great ears. (Which is not exactly me.)

Since this is a “new” album for me, I haven’t listened to the streaming version. I want my first experience to be the SDE version.

I have kind of wondered if there’s a general consensus on whether the streaming version of an album is noticeably weaker than the physical version of the same mix. Is the compression for streaming making a difference to those with great ears. (Which is not exactly me.)

Since this is a “new” album for me, I haven’t listened to the streaming version. I want my first experience to be the SDE version.
This has nothing to do with compression, if there's next to nothing in the height speakers, it's the fault of he who mixed it. If you listen in 5.1, it will sound good, but I don't which is why I skipped this.;)

5,000 for Dylan. Screenshot for proof since I had earlier proven myself to be slightly ... brain-cramped ... in a prior statement about the production run.

In the same Twitter thread, it was the first time I heard the reason Concert for George is numbered 6.5. That might have already been common knowledge and I simply missed it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 11.37.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 11.37.31 AM.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
Back