Bob James - ONE 5.1 SACD [Not Surround]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found out about this on the "For the love of CTI" facebook group.
Bob James -- One (2021 Remastered) (SACD) (evo88.com)

Cannot believe EVOSOUND is finally releasing a Bob James album in MULTICHANNEL 5.1

See the source image

If you've never heard EVOSOUND'S Bob James Stereo SACD remasters before, THIS SHOULD BE AN AWESOME TREAT!
Bob James Trio: Espresso

SACD

Bob James & Kirk Whalum: Joined At The Hip

SACD

Last edited:
Cannot believe EVOSOUND is finally releasing a Bob James album in MULTICHANNEL 5.1

See the source image

If you've never heard EVOSOUND'S Bob James Stereo SACD remasters before, THIS SHOULD BE AN AWESOME TREAT!

Interesting development. And great catch! One important typo in EvoSound's description, though: it would have been a neat trick to release a "jazz-funk" album in 1964. (And some might be more inclined to call this "smooth" jazz, but what's in a name, anyway?--so many of those CTI releases blur the line.)

Last edited:
Interesting development. And great catch! One important typo in EvoSound's description, though: it would have a neat trick to release a "jazz-funk" album in 1964. (And some might be more inclined to call this "smooth" jazz, but what's in a name, anyway?--so many of those CTI releases blur the line.)

Since Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography does NOT list it as being one of the original CTI Quad Albums, Evosound must have remixed it themselves from the original analogue masters [or digital intermediates]. It is a GREAT album, nonetheless and I look forward to it.

This is really exciting news, if indeed it's a real (and well executed) 5.1 mix.

And, not to get too ahead of myself, I can only hope that this is the beginning of a long series of reissues - James' albums have lots of surround potential from an instrumentation and arrangement point of view, and as the years wore on he worked with a lot of top-class studio musicians including the guys from Luther Vandross's band (Marcus Miller, Yogi Horton and Vandross himself) and the guys from Billy Joel's band (Liberty Devitto, Doug Stegmeyer, etc.) as well as heavyweights like Steve Gadd, David Sanborn and literally dozens of others. For me, everything from this album through 1983's Foxie would be warmly welcomed in surround.

This is really exciting news, if indeed it's a real (and well executed) 5.1 mix.

And, not to get too ahead of myself, I can only hope that this is the beginning of a long series of reissues - James' albums have lots of surround potential from an instrumentation and arrangement point of view, and as the years wore on he worked with a lot of top-class studio musicians including the guys from Luther Vandross's band (Marcus Miller, Yogi Horton and Vandross himself) and the guys from Billy Joel's band (Liberty Devitto, Doug Stegmeyer, etc.) as well as heavyweights like Steve Gadd, David Sanborn and literally dozens of others. For me, everything from this album through 1983's Foxie would be warmly welcomed in surround.
I guess we'll find out more in June when the Mr. Big surround title gets released. I also have many Bob James titles going back to the 70's LPs like Two, Three, One on One, Lucky Seven etc., and they all have great musician collaborations on them.

1974.. 😱
CTI.. 👀
could it be an unreleased Quad..? 🤯
if not, please let it be a proper mix from multi's! 🙏
oh and a good discrete mix! 🤩

(asking a lot, i know.. but i'm asking for a friend/friends and i/we're a pretty demanding bunch!) 🤣

ps. lets hope if One is a good one,
its not one and done
and they do two and three, too! 😂

Last edited:
1974.. 😱
CTI.. 👀
could it be an unreleased Quad..? 🤯
if not, please let it be a proper mix from multi's! 🙏
oh and a good discrete mix! 🤩

(asking a lot, i know.. but i'm asking for a friend/friends and i/we're a pretty demanding bunch!) 🤣

ps. lets hope if One is a good one,
its not one and done
and they do two and three, too! 😂

Adam, I have about half a dozen of EVOSOUND'S SACDs and MQA~CDs and each and every one is golden.

Fingers crossed because based on the you tube vids, a ton of possibilities for a great surround remix!

Adam, I have about half a dozen of EVOSOUND'S SACDs and MQA~CDs and each and every one is golden.
I have all the EvoSound CDs by Charla and Susan Wong, and yes, they ARE golden!

When I ripped Charla's #acousticNOW on my Bluesound Vault2i, it showed up in the library as some (presumably) Middle Eastern artist...different album title, different album art, different credited artist, different track names. It took a long time to correct all the metadata tags for that one!

I have all the EvoSound CDs by Charla and Susan Wong, and yes, they ARE golden!

When I ripped Charla's #acousticNOW on my Bluesound Vault2i, it showed up in the library as some (presumably) Middle Eastern artist...different album title, different album art, different credited artist, different track names. It took a long time to correct all the metadata tags for that one!

Inexplicably. when I used to load discs into my Meridian SooLoos, I'd sometimes get totally different art work and track titles, as well, from my discs and you're correct, it was a pain to undo the faux pas manually. I'd sometimes get Mobile Fidelity artwork from NON MoFi titles and wonder how so many errors could occur when encoding the CD's metadata. Happened on more than a few occasions.

But it's very encouraging that EVOSOUND of HONG KONG is now releasing two multi~CH SACDs, Mr Big and now Bob James' One as, IMO, their track record for producing state of the art sonics and even their packaging [sturdy cardboard slipcases] is SECOND TO NONE!

Inexplicably. when I used to load discs into my Meridian SooLoos, I'd sometimes get totally different art work and track titles, as well, from my discs and you're correct, it was a pain to undo the faux pas manually. I'd sometimes get Mobile Fidelity artwork from NON MoFi titles and wonder how so many errors could occur when encoding the CD's metadata. Happened on more than a few occasions.

I think these systems that do automated album metadata lookups do it in a really basic way - they just look for a disc in their database that has the same number of tracks with the same running time, or a very basic artist + title lookup. So you'd often get artwork for the wrong pressing displayed, or the wrong artist and album entirely.

This was one of the fringe benefits from ripping and tagging my collection, I had control over exactly how everything was labelled, and could pick and choose artwork that met my own standards. It also drove my spelling and grammar OCD into overdrive when discs were authored with spelling mistakes, ALL CAPS, truncated artists, albums or song titles, missing apostrophes etc. in the CD/SACD metadata so I was able to fix that too.

A bit off topic on this thread, but EVOSOUND has also released an incredible Stereo SACD: The BEST of Fourplay featuring Bob James on keyboards, Lee Ritenour on Guitar, Harvey Mason on Drums and Nathan East on Bass which also contains stunning vocals by El Barge, Patti Austin, Phil Collins and Peabo Bryson. The sonics are EXCEPTIONAL!

Available at a GREAT Price from AmazonUS [LIST Price is $27.99]

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Fourpla...efix=the+best+of+fourplay+sacd,aps,150&sr=1-1

See the source image

Back