Bob James - ONE 5.1 SACD [Not Surround]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVOSOUND also released Bob James' EXPRESSO and JOINED AT THE HIP featuring Kirk Whalum on Stereo SACD.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=13543
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=14065
And Bob James/David Sanborn DOUBLE VISION [24K Gold MQA encoded CD]

BTW, ALL sound superbly AUDIOPHILE!

edit: Sure I'm miffed ONE isn't 5.1, as advertised, but for under $20 nice to have another classic CTI album on hi res Stereo SACD!

Thanks for clarifying that. I totally forgot about the other EVOSOUND releases.

Just because it's stereo, doesn't automatically mean it's a POS, but definitely a major Faux Pas for the label that is akin to false advertising :rolleyes: 🤬

Faux Pas, YES, JP, but think of how many SURROUND discs we DO OWN that have NON~EXISTENT discrete remixes?

I do own a bunch of EVOSOUND MQA~CDs and SACDs some that are multichannel and I still concur that EVOSOUND puts out QUALITY products, beautifully packaged and audiophile sounding.

Faux Pas, YES, JP, but think of how many SURROUND discs we DO OWN that have NON~EXISTENT discrete remixes?
Sure, way too many in fact, but that just doesn't apply here, it's a matter of ineptitude and trust/confidence in their releases.

I'm sure I'll keep mine, but wondering what percentage get sent back?

This now has me doubting any evosound release that states its multi-channel!
I agree 😟! I'm pretty bummed out about this not being multichannel. I wouldn't have pre-ordered it either if I knew it was just stereo. I know from now on, I'll take a more wait & see approach with new releases... ( Not counting Loreena McKennitt since I already sprung for that one)
Where do you begin to figure out the cause of this screwup?
Are companies going to just start calling releases whatever they wish regardless as to what it actually is 🥴?

Last edited:
I wonder why it was ever listed as multichannel. It's not the kind of simple mistake you'd expect. So it makes me wonder if it was at one point considered for a multichannel issue. Which in a way makes it worse (that it came so close) but in a way is good (it might be released in the future or perhaps other multichannel releases are planned.)

I have been reading this thread and sorry to see that Evosound made a mistake. I can't say why but I did not purchase this disc from Evosound but rather purchased the HDTracks 2021 stereo remaster.
The FLAC release is 24/192 and DR's are 12's and 13's.
If any are interested the download from HDTracks is no waiting of course.

I just got an email from Amazon saying my order of Bob James “One” will be delayed until Aug. 28-29. I am so disappointed about this cock up. I think I’m going to cancel my order. At least now I don’t have to hassle with a return.

This SACD is STEREO only. I have it in hand along with Mr. Big, which is in 5.1 surround. The Bob James One cover shows Stereo while the Mr. Big shows both Multi-Channel and Stereo. I read their press release which makes no note of surround, however evosound has remastered the album using hi-resolution digital transfers from the original analogue master tapes, and I like what I hear.

This SACD is STEREO only. I have it in hand along with Mr. Big, which is in 5.1 surround. The Bob James One cover shows Stereo while the Mr. Big shows both Multi-Channel and Stereo. I read their press release which makes no note of surround, however evosound has remastered the album using hi-resolution digital transfers from the original analogue master tapes, and I like what I hear.
So even though 'One' is only SACD stereo not multi channel, you're saying it sounds great.
Do you have any other versions to compare it to?
I'm debating what to do with this when it arrives.
Thanks...

For what it’s worth - I alerted evo to the problem.
I sent them a screenshot of the (still) incorrect listing and suggested they change it pronto, because some people (like me!) would only be after the 5.1 mix.
My disc is unopened and I requested to return it.
They promptly replied with an apology and a refund.
I have to say that I was less than impressed with their customer service around my Mr. Big order, but they were spot on with this one (pardon the pun) 🥸

I decided to return this to amazon, saying it wasn't as listed as it had no surround mix. I thought if you just accept errors they will continue! I might buy it again later or on CD.

But, my worry is down here in the sticks will my local Post Office be able to read the QR code amazon.co.uk now gives for a return instead of the simpler old method of just being able to print a label.

image.jpg

I do not have any previous versions on hand. Simply like what I hear, I think it is a good transfer.

So even though 'One' is only SACD stereo not multi channel, you're saying it sounds great.
Do you have any other versions to compare it to?
I'm debating what to do with this when it arrives.
Thanks...

I decided to return this to amazon, saying it wasn't as listed as it had no surround mix. I thought if you just accept errors they will continue! I might buy it again later or on CD.

But, my worry is down here in the sticks will my local Post Office be able to read the QR code amazon.co.uk now gives for a return instead of the simpler old method of just being able to print a label.
You can still print label for use at post office just select ‘other’ option on Amazon returns and this will be an option for you.

Back