Bob James Trio - Feel Like Making LIVE! Release Jan 28th 2022 Formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opted for the BD~V/MQA~CD combo too.

The Best…The mix and fidelity is really good. The atmos channels only give spatiality to the sound (no discretes)
The Worst….Comments between songs
The Curious…..Drums in the right channels, bass in the center channel and piano in the left channels
Sounds like a fun mix to me. Why didn't I order this...or did I? lmao

I opted for the BD~V/MQA~CD combo too.

The Best…The mix and fidelity is really good. The atmos channels only give spatiality to the sound (no discretes)
The Worst….Comments between songs
The Curious…..Drums in the right channels, bass in the center channel and piano in the left channels

Listening (in 5.1) from the Apple Atmos stream there are no comments.
A new favorite with the strong material and performances.

I love this kind of mix for a jazz trio.
I think it's especially good for the bass, because while anchored in the center, it's also in both fronts enough to give it a big sound.
Likewise drums spread toward center, not isolated in the right corner.

I'm a firm believer the bass belongs in the center along with the fronts, and this is a fine example.
Perhaps it's not more often because some mixers (like Steven Wilson) defer to wimpy home-theater center speakers that can't handle both vocal (or a lead instrument) and bass together.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's not more often is because some mixers (like Steven Wilson) defer to wimpy home-theater center speakers that can't handle both vocal (or a lead instrument) and bass together.
Maybe, but it also gives users the ability to adjust the vocal balance to taste without affecting the bass level.

Back