HiRez Poll Bon Jovi - HAVE A NICE DAY [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Bon Jovi - HAVE A NICE DAY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts, comments, and feelings about this new DualDisc with a HiRez Stereo and Surround side! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• bonjovi.jpg
    bonjovi.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 349
I just finished listening to this for the second time about a half hour ago. And, ironically, I was just now working on a write-up to post over at S&V. Here's what I came up with:

The title track is half-decent, but overall this DualDisc merely gets a "nice try" for effort. I like that the surrounds are fairly active without drawing too much attention to themselves. And I also like the fact that vocals are spread across the front three speakers, rather than isolated into a lonely center channel. However, it just sounds average at best. Sonically, the 48 kHz / 24 bit recording isn't particularly impressive---lacking in both bass and dynamics. To make matters worse, the bonus videos aren't even presented in 5.1 surround sound. So is it a total loss? Hardly. But this album is probably best taken in small doses.

FWIW, I liked the disc more the second time around listening to it. For now, I'm going to hold off on voting officially until I give it another listen, but I was half-ways thinking about giving it a rating of '6'.

I'll be curious read what others think about this disc.

Thanks for your posts here, "kazaam". Your opinion is appreciated!

I just got this one myself, but have not queued it up yet. Heard him on Howard Stern this morning, and he sounded pretty good. Did a couple of Beatle tunes, and one song from this disc.

Thanks. I think QQ is a great website---especially for us hardcore fans---though I still post quite a bit of SACD/DVD-A stuff over at the S&V forums because I'm trying to keep the 'multi-channel dream' alive, so to speak. Anyway... There are still a quite a few of us who dig it even if some people have written it off. Heck, even though I thought "Have a Nice Day" was somewhat mediocre I'm still considering a purchase of "Slippery When Wet".

Hey, I just noticed. Check out the DualDisc logo on the front of this disc (see scan above). Under the DVD in CD/DVD, it lists "VIDEO/AUDIO". That's new, isn't it. I never noticed that one before!

This is a very solid effort from Bon Jovi. I've been enjoying this disc since release day. The surround mix is good. It makes good use of the rears where it needs to and does a good job at spreading the bulk across the three front channels. If you liked Slippery When Wet or New Jersey, you should like this. I'll give it an 8.

Interesting note. The DVD-A DualDisc of this title must have really been a "Limited Edition", as while in a local Best Buy today, I did a cursory check of the CD racks for SACDs, DualDiscs, and DVD-A's that might be mingled in with the CDs, and I found a DualDisc of this title, but lo and behold, while it was in fact a DualDisc, it was a Dolby Digital DualDisc, not a DVD-Audio!!

That means that they took the time to create a "non-DVD-A" version of a title that had previously been released as a DVD-A. Go figure that one out! :mad:@:

Interesting note. The DVD-A DualDisc of this title must have really been a "Limited Edition", as while in a local Best Buy today, I did a cursory check of the CD racks for SACDs, DualDiscs, and DVD-A's that might be mingled in with the CDs, and I found a DualDisc of this title, but lo and behold, while it was in fact a DualDisc, it was a Dolby Digital DualDisc, not a DVD-Audio!!

That means that they took the time to create a "non-DVD-A" version of a title that had previously been released as a DVD-A. Go figure that one out! :mad:@:

I noticed the Britney Spears "In The Zone" Dualdisc was a DD5.1 disc without DVD-A. I'm not sure if there was an earlier Dualdisc with the hi-res music.

I'm glad I got my "Have A Nice Day" with DVD-A music!

Very interesting stuff. I just got to looking at mine and it's the DVD-A version. Can anyone post pics of the info on the back of the Dolby Digital version? Are both versions pretty common? (Just curious, I guess...)

Mark Z

nice enough album (I'm not a fan of Bon Jovi particularly) and the mix is ok.. very discrete in places.. almost too discrete!

the rears are over-egged and over loud (unusual complaint, reverse is true more often than not!) in some instances, e.g. rhythm guitar in left rear of track 4 is totally out of whack with everything else in the mix!

here comes the really bad news..the sonics are soooo squashed!

its all over-bright (my ears hurt before i got to track 4 - at regular listening levels..) and it's all too thin-sounding and compressed for my tastes.

bit like the other DualDisc I have of theirs', "Slippery When Wet".

I guess it's a BJ trademark sound thing.. jangly, thin, bright.. ugghh.

After one listen, I want to give it a "6".. mostly for it being a DVDA (not that it sounds like a DVDA should!) ...
but I'll give it another chance before I vote.

I decided to finally pull this disc out from the bottom of my surround disc piles and give it my first full listen, and well, what can I say?

This one is going back to the bottom of the pile. Lackluster material with a lackluster surround mix, all with added compression!

Not recommended at all.

Now, what disc should I listen to next to help detox my ears? :mad:@:

Back