HiRez Poll Bon Jovi - SLIPPERY WHEN WET [DVD-A DualDisc/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Bon Jovi - SLIPPERY WHEN WET

• Total voters
Here is Florida there are only 2 seasons...of course we don't have many (Frankie)Valli'(s) here....no mountains either....oh man...I'm becoming Ralphie:eek:

There is only ONE Ralphie......and believe me, he does live in a Galaxy FAR FAR AWAY! Capisce, Clinty?

And He's Also SLIPPERY WHEN WET!

Last edited:
I have had this dual-disc sitting around for a couple of years and never got around to playing it. This album was so overplayed back in the day (and the hit singles still are) that there’s never really been a time when I’ve thought “I really want to hear Slippery When Wet right now.” Lol.

As many bad memories associated with this album as good ones. Released on the day of my 25th birthday it turns out! Where were YOU in 1986? :cool:

But this is really good. The best the album ever sounded for sure. The 5.1 mix is spot on. Obie O’Brien? Who knew!?!

Crank it up! Drink some cheap beer! Coors Lite baby!! Let It Rock!!!

I give it a “9” because I just can’t give THIS album a “10” even though it probably deserves it. Lol

Last edited:
But this is really good. The best the album ever sounded for sure. The 5.1 mix is spot on. Obie O’Brien? Who knew!?!

Agree 100%. I picked this up really cheap a few years ago and it's one of the best DualDisc titles in my collection. I do have a few nitpicks though, with the major one being the mastering: it's super loud and the fronts are limited. The others are that the reverb is a bit overdone at times and not every song is a surround spectacular. I was disappointed with the really front-heavy mix on "You Give Love A Bad Name".

My vote for the best mix is "Wanted Dead Or Alive". There are lots of little atmospheric percussive bits in the rears, along with this cool descending piano part that's nearly inaudible in the original.

I'm sure this has already been pointed out somewhere, but "Livin' On A Prayer" in 5.1 is very different than the stereo mix. It seems the engineer really loved that talkbox part in the beginning as he left that track open for the entire song, so you can hear it continue once the lead vocal comes in.

The intro and outro sections are also entirely different. During the intro, you can hear what sounds like birds chirping and the talkbox comes in earlier. At the end, rather than fading on the vocals, it continues to a previously-unheard instrumental section with more talkbox. Very cool.

"Livin" On A Prayer":
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 8.13.31 PM.png

"Wanted Dead Or Alive":
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 8.19.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Agree 100%. I picked this up really cheap a few years ago and it's one of the best DualDisc titles in my collection. I do have a few nitpicks though, with the major one being the mastering: it's super loud and the fronts are limited. The others are that the reverb is a bit overdone at times and not every song is a surround spectacular. I was disappointed with the really front-heavy mix on "You Give Love A Bad Name".

I'm sure this has already been pointed out somewhere, but "Livin' On A Prayer" in 5.1 is very different than the stereo mix. It seems the engineer really loved that talkbox part in the beginning as he left that track open for the entire song, so you can hear it continue in one of the rear channels when the lead vocal starts.

The intro and outro sections are also entirely different. During the intro you can hear birds chirping and the talkbox comes in earlier, and rather than fading on the vocals in the end it continues to a previously-unheard instrumental section with more talkbox. Very cool.
Yeah I noticed that too. I was wondering has that talk box always been going through the whole song and I just never noticed it before.

Like the longer version too, although you can hear the obvious edit. I’m guessing this was from a 12” mix or something?

Nice to have those differences.

Yeah, it’s a bit loud, but it’s rock n roll! Besides, I played this right after the Oasis album. It sounded like a classic jazz album in comparison. Lol

I don't remember if I got this on the day it came out (it was released on a Monday), or later that week, but I definitely remember walking to the record store (Kemp Mill Records for all you east coast VA/MD/DE peeps) and picking it up in 1986 and I still have that record. I may or may not have stared at the girls in wet t-shirts on the inner sleeve for extended periods of time over the years, as that was the beginning of my teen years.

So I got this from a fellow QQer on a whim, recognizing completely that while I pretty much quit Bon Jovi after the New Jersey album and especially once I went to college, they still retain a nostalgic spot in my youth. I figured that if this one sounds anything like the Bryan Adams mix of Reckless, then I'd be happy. It doesn't need to be transformed into a psychedelic masterpiece via surround sound because that's not what this record is. It is a rock n roll record, plain and simple

It has never sounded better. All the parts seem to be pretty clear and distinct. There's an air to this mix that is nice, but that high end is not brittle or harsh by any means. The guitars really sound downright mean. Jon's vocals are stellar. I mean, you can really hear the hunger to be the biggest band in the world in his vocal performances. And of course Richie's backing vocals are so crucial and sound similarly great. I hear a lot of stuff in this surround mix that I have never noticed before, particularly with the keyboards, and I listened to this record a ton when I was a kid.

My one small complaint is that it is louder than any of my other surround discs. As evidenced from the screen shots above, it has obviously been compressed/limited a bit, but I don't think judging from those shots above that it was overly so. That's not anything close to a brickwalling, and I suspect that if I zoomed up on those waveforms that they cut off the limiting at the earliest sign of clipping. It's probably mostly on the drum hits.

All in all, a great job on the mix though. Compression be damned. It's a rock record and a little bit isn't going to kill it and most tracks see a bit of compression before they ever hit the master track/mix anyway. A 10.

Back