HiRez Poll Bon Jovi - SLIPPERY WHEN WET [DVD-A DualDisc/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Bon Jovi - SLIPPERY WHEN WET

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the original DualDisc DVD-A of this album, as well as the 2015 release on BluRay Audio Disc.

(y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• bonjovi.jpg
    bonjovi.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 640
I give it a 10 because it's chock full of content, including a high rez surround mix, AND 5 videos in 5.1. Pretty good 5.1 mix, and actually adds length to most of the songs as well.

IMHO, it is what ALL dualdiscs should be like!

Ick said:
I give it a 10 because it's chock full of content, including a high rez surround mix, AND 5 videos in 5.1. Pretty good 5.1 mix, and actually adds length to most of the songs as well.

IMHO, it is what ALL dualdiscs should be like!

I agree 100%... GREAT!!!!

Has anyone compared the mix of the "hits" on this disc with the SACD of his hits?

JonUrban said:
Has anyone compared the mix of the "hits" on this disc with the SACD of his hits?

I didn't know a MC mix of the "Crossroads" SACD existed. There is an SACD of re-arranged "hits" that is out, but the songs are nothing like the originals. It's kinda like what Clapton did with "Layla".

Finally a Dual Disc how it should be! Good audio quality, Good surround mix and good content! Plus you get 4 or 5 music videos as well! Why can't they all be like this?

Arrgh, mine is still in the mail... I thought I got it this saturday oh well I hope for this Monday and I will post my comments! :)

Well I gave it shot......the bottom line is I hate Bon-Jovi. I tried to listen more than once couldn't do it. If I liked B-J I would give this a 10...but since I will never play this disc again I'll refrain from voting.

bobou2 said:
Well I gave it shot......the bottom line is I hate Bon-Jovi. I tried to listen more than once couldn't do it. If I liked B-J I would give this a 10...but since I will never play this disc again I'll refrain from voting.
I couldn't do it, despite my hunger for surround releases. I'll let you guys enjoy it.

This is noticeably better than the DualDisc of "Have a Nice Day". However, I was slightly disappointed with "Livin' on a Prayer" and "You Give Love A Bad Name"---both having fairly mediocre audio and mixes. That said, "Social Disease" and "Raise Your Hands" sound just about perfect in every which way!!! I definitely approve of the packaging and artwork---jewel case and easy to read. And I love the fact that the 5 music videos are available in surround sound, too! I'm thinking of rating this disc somewhere along the lines of an "8".

I wonder if this title was one of the "UMG 150 SACDs" slated for this year. If it was, maybe this is how we'll get the next batch of Eltons, or the Steely Dans.

Any UMG guys still checking in here? I know, you couldn't say anyway. Too bad, we are your core! :D

JonUrban said:
I wonder if this title was one of the "UMG 150 SACDs" slated for this year. If it was, maybe this is how we'll get the next batch of Eltons, or the Steely Dans.

Any UMG guys still checking in here? I know, you couldn't say anyway. Too bad, we are your core! :D

Stop reminding me about those Steely Dan SACD's......
Makes me wanna scream :mad:@:
Haven't seen Jimby around....hope he still has his job

I just listened to this one last night. I remember when this first came out. I was listening to a lot of Heavy Metal back then, and Bon Jovi was a curse of death if you ever mentioned the band. What can I say, I liked the album. It was a guilty pleasure. I kept the cassette tucked away in the drawer away from the "real" music collection.

It was very nice revisiting "Slippery When Wet". I forgot how many really good songs are on this album. Well, if not "really good", at least they were popular. Yeah, I'm still having trouble coming to terms with "Slippery When Wet". It's still a guilty pleasure. A really solid album by any measure with a great sound. The surround mixes are spotty but overall quite good. I really like that they went with hi-rez in lieu of DD!

I give this one 8 points.

Cai Campbell said:
I was listening to a lot of Heavy Metal back then, and Bon Jovi was a curse of death if you ever mentioned the band. What can I say, I liked the album. It was a guilty pleasure.

Just because it was a pretty face and girls liked it...

Seriously... any info if this DD is slated for european release too? I've found Have a Nice Day both in Italy and in Spain where i'm now but no sign anywhere of SWW.

received this from across the pond at the weekend. Probably the best dual disc for content that i have so far the sound and mix dual disc prize goes to Dire Straits.

Bon jovi just as i remembered it in 198X. good sound and mix i am loving it but what is 'raise you hands' all about :) .

Ill give it a 10 for content physical content 8 for music and 9 for the mix average 9:mad:@:

The surround mix is pretty good considering the initial recording is compressed to death, the drums sound really flat. I gave the disc a 7 not because of the sound but the music is pretty shallow. Also I couldn't playback the CD side with my Denon universal player or a Sony SACD changer. I was able to play the CD side in my VUE. I am hoping for more pop/rock DVD-A dualdiscs to help the surround music have a future.

I gave it an 8. The surround mix varrys, from good to fair. But over the surround makes the disc sound better, nice fat sound. But i prefer a more aggersive or discrete mix. A couple of the mixes were quite good though. Not a favoeite CD of mine, but in surround i like it.

I finally listened to this one today, and I LIKE IT!! I had forgotten most of these tunes. I never owned the album in any format, but I think it's really good. Nice to hear driving guitars! :D

I gave it a 9, because the surround mix is quite good, and not gimmicky at all (IMHO)

Besides, it's actually quite a surprise that this came out as a DVD and not just DD. This HAS to be one of the titles that was slated for the "UMG 150 SACDs" allegedly slated for this year.

I just wanted to add that I like this DualDisc more than when I first rated it. I gave it an 8 then, and I suppose that's still fair enough to keep it at an 8... So nothing drastic to say other than I've grown to appreciate Obie O'Brien's surround mix more than I had before. Is it the best thing ever? No... but I may have short-changed his work on Slippery When Wet, initially. And I still don't think the audio fidelity is the greatest, either, but still it's not too shabby. Overall, I like it.

Last edited:
Back