DVD/DTS Poll Bond - Explosive: The Best Of Bond [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of VARIOUS ARTISTS - EXPLOSIVE THE BEST OF BOND

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

Ok...

The good news... these chicks are HOT!!!

Now for the bad news... This disc is from Universal, known for DVD-A Dual Discs but...

This is not DVD-A it is Dolby Digital 5.1

The mix has been created using a technique called AMSI (Ambient Sound Imaging) which is "a new process developed by Emil Berliner Studios, which recreates stereo audio material as 5.1 surround.... FAKE!!!!

There is a second surround mix called the Victory "Surrounded Mix" which sounds exactly like the FAKE surround mix #1.

You can't go from track to track during the 5.1 mix. The disc is not authored to do that apparantly. You can go from audio channel to audio channel.

The stereo mix is PCM 48/16

More good news... three videos and a photo gallery are included and the chicks are HOT!!!

For those who don't know, Bond are four hotties who seem to be able to play their asses off. Or at least they look good trying!!! The music is classical/dance (think: an updated Hooked on Classics). Not something I would listen to every day but nice for a while.

In summary...

For hotness a 9

For music a 7

For execution of disc a 2.

Cancel out the hotness you got yourself about a 5. Buyer beware!!!

PS... the outside says AMSI 5.1 upmix at Emil Berliner Studios, Germany. Not until you get inside do you find out what AMSI is.

The women are nice looking but the music is ok at best. A great mix of the James Bond theme would have improved the disc a lot in my opinion. I hadn't knowingly heard anything by this group and bought the disc as a blind buy because it sounded like fun and got pretty good reviews. The Dolby Digital 5.1 mix rather than DVD-Audio doesn't bother me too much since the music isn't very good to begin with. If the group contained 4 guys that look about like me, there wouldn't have been any CDs, much less a best of compilation. A 5 is as high as I can go.

Chris

Yes, I actually bought this DualDisc because it was on sale. I was not familiar with the "music". The surround sound is very full and enveloping. Compared to Bruce Springsteen’s Devils and Dust "surround" mix, this is outstanding.

The "music" is nowhere to be found. Not recommended for the music.

For the surround mix I would rate it a 5 and the "music" I would rate it a 1. Overall rating 3.

I just got this and gave it a go.. what a load of complete and utter GARBAGE..!!! :flame

the surround is an extremely poor example of an upmix, the sound is horrifically compressed, super loud and bright.. and the music!? gadzooks.. :mad:@: yuck, yuck, yuck! Just about the worst surround music disc I've ever bought.. I can't think of one redeeming feature.

The 5.1 on the Devils and Dust DualDisc was clearly mucked up in mastering.. but it is redeemable with tweaking (still not a shining example of how to do surround music but it's greatly improved when you untangle the mess of what went on with that one from mixing to mastering) but really there's absolutely no hope for this piece of junk. Best Of Bond.. I'd hate to hear their worst..!! :howl

I just checked the Poll results.. I cannot believe the generosity of those who've voted previously . A "10" for this steaming pile of crap.. really!? Wow.. :yikes

In the UK wouldn't that be RUBBISH ?

Ha! :p We have garbage too y'know ;)

I really wanted to be more extreme but I felt that would just about cover it.. truly this is an abysmal thing from a surround point of view and there's little to nothing else to redeem it, unless you like ogling pictures of fake bimbos.

I'll take Ella and Aretha in good old 2.0 over this fake 5.1 twaddle any day.

Great comments by everyone previously! Well.... I was going to get this one (cheap, real cheap) but after reading the reviews; I'll pass....Yes, the chicks do look HOT but there's got to be more to this than that.

I have all the Bonds on Bluray. So reading this thread makes me realize that I can put together a hi-res audio of all the Bond music by using MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor. Joy!

:LB:SB:SG

Reactions: GOS
I almost thought this was James Bond music, but is a girl band called Bond, I'll pass.
"Bond, the sexy string quartet that has sold over 4 million units worldwide, has built a very active and loyal fan base over the years through associations with many high profile brands including Raymond Weil and Clairol's Herbal Essences. 3 NEW tracks include 'Caravan', 'Sugar Plum' & 'Carmina'. Decca. 2005."

Back