Bose 4401 CD-4 Demodulator?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some Impressions from the Alchemy and the results. Digikey delivered the Molex connectors for upside, downside and edge version. Since a 15-pin edge version in gold was not available, I re-used the old see-through plastic frame with the new golden spring plates of another pinout, as can be seen in the picture. Amazing, after half a century, there are still compatible or identical products available! Nevertheless, I did not find the vertical connecting bars. Therefore the "golden chemistry".
Samtec do similar gold-plated connectors https://suddendocs.samtec.com/catal...W*MTY4Mjg4NjE3NC4xLjEuMTY4Mjg4NjQ0MS41OC4wLjA.

Some Impressions from the Alchemy and the results. Digikey delivered the Molex connectors for upside, downside and edge version. Since a 15-pin edge version in gold was not available, I re-used the old see-through plastic frame with the new golden spring plates of another pinout, as can be seen in the picture. Amazing, after half a century, there are still compatible or identical products available! Nevertheless, I did not find the vertical connecting bars. Therefore the "golden chemistry".
Thanks for sharing.
Molex 4030 series vertical headers are available in gold coating, but unfortunately they're too short for this application : https://fr.farnell.com/w/c/connecte...-4030&plaquage-du-contact=contacts-plaques-or

I’ve fought the connector war a few times myself. It’s remarkable how difficult connecting a wire can be sometimes. And doing your own gold plating? Wow. Just wow. Outside my skill set for sure.

Thank you very much for your compliments. I am a professional chemist, so some things are easier for me.
The solution for chemical gold plating is commercially available at Amazon. There is indeed no knowledge necessary. But <cleaning> was the harder work. Getting rid of the tin and polishing the surface needed a lot of finest grinding paper (again from Amazon) as well as ellbow grease 😁

Last edited:
For those who might be interested, some pictures:
- renovated lower board
- the Involve SQ and QS decoders
- the gold plated connectors and new sockets
- power section with new components like rectifier diodes
- new and bigger capacitors in the power section
- new shielding between the upper and lower board like in the first series
- new toroidal transformer and shielding for the 230 Volts power section

Attachments

• 02_SQ_and_QS-Decoder.jpg
    02_SQ_and_QS-Decoder.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 03_Golden_Connectors.jpg
    03_Golden_Connectors.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 04_Power_Supply_Overiew.jpg
    04_Power_Supply_Overiew.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 05_Power_Supply_Components.jpg
    05_Power_Supply_Components.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 06_Capacitors_and_Transformer.jpg
    06_Capacitors_and_Transformer.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 07_Core_Transformer_and_Power_Shielding.jpg
    07_Core_Transformer_and_Power_Shielding.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 01_Lower_Board_with_Decoders_Power_Supply_and_new_Shieldings.jpg
    01_Lower_Board_with_Decoders_Power_Supply_and_new_Shieldings.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
- renovated lower board
- new core transformer and shielding for the 230 Volts power section
This is like the quad equivalent of hot rodding! Great job

In minimum, I have one nice effect, although I cannot explain it. The BOSE had always some power-on "plop", although there is this power-on delay circuit in the power supply and the FET for muting. The FET circuit itself suppresses the signal by only 6 db, not more.

Now, after all of this mechanical and electronic modifications, the "plop" disappeared. Maybe, but only maybe, the main capacitor loading takes now more time. And this helps for a more clean power up.

In minimum, I have one nice effect, although I cannot explain it. The BOSE had always some power-on "plop", although there is this power-on delay circuit in the power supply and the FET for muting. The FET circuit itself suppresses the signal by only 6 db, not more.

Now, after all of this mechanical and electronic modifications, the "plop" disappeared. Maybe, but only maybe, the main capacitor loading takes now more time. And this helps for a more clean power up.
Although I'm not much of a CD-4 fan, I am thoroughly impressed with your skill and passion on this project. Bravo! And thanks for sharing.

- renovated lower board
- new toroidal transformer and shielding for the 230 Volts power section
How does it know what kind of record is playing to choose the correct demodulator/decoder?

Last edited:
I did some preliminary measurements with the revised BOSE 4401, using an RME Babyface Pro FS Analog Audio to USB Interface and AudioTester V3.0 software.

1. Noise Floor of the Equipment itself: Analog Input, short circuit to Ground including cables
Comment: Overall Noise is very low; average below -140db except 20-50 Hz

2. BOSE Noise at Tape1 Out with Aux In 0db 100 Hz
Comment: Average Noise above 200 Hz around-120db – excellent for an 50 year old revised preamp.

3. BOSE Noise at Tape1 Out with Aux In 0db 440 Hz
Comment: Here you can see the noise at 50 and 100 Hz of the simple constructed Bose Power Supply: Below 95 db is not bad, but clearly visible and worse than the average -120 db. Needs obviously some further development and tests.

4. BOSE Noise at Tape1 Out with Aux In 0db 1000 Hz
Comment: Same as with 440Hz.

5. BOSE Noise at EQ Out with Aux In 0db 1000 Hz
Comment: EQ Out is nearly identical to Tape1 Out. Playing with Sample Rate.

6. BOSE Noise at Tape1 Out with Phono In from LP Record 0db 1000 Hz
Comment: Preliminary, must be repeated. High THD peaks visible from some overload. Since the signal from the record itself is 0db, scale must be 20db shifted. So average noise at 1 kHz is around 70 db. From 20Hz to 100Hz, you see the ground noise of the record itself: CBS SQ Test LP, Band 1.

Attachments

• 01-Noisefloor-Input-to-ground.jpg
    01-Noisefloor-Input-to-ground.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 02-Bose-Tape1-Out-Aux-In-0db-100Hz.jpg
    02-Bose-Tape1-Out-Aux-In-0db-100Hz.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 03-Bose-Tape1-Out-Aux-In-0db-440Hz.jpg
    03-Bose-Tape1-Out-Aux-In-0db-440Hz.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 05-Bose-EQ-Out-Aux-In-0db-1kHz.jpg
    05-Bose-EQ-Out-Aux-In-0db-1kHz.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 04-Bose-Tape1-Out-Aux-In-0db-1kHz.jpg
    04-Bose-Tape1-Out-Aux-In-0db-1kHz.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 06-Bose-Tape1-Out-Phono1-LP-Record-0db-1kHz.jpg
    06-Bose-Tape1-Out-Phono1-LP-Record-0db-1kHz.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you very much!

I know the page and the products of Mr. Sjöström. For the DC filter and Power on delay, I preferred a combined soft start controller and DC blocker product from NewClassD (NewClassD SoftStart 230V). This filter is build in into the Timer Master Switch, not the Bose.

I have currently several different power supplies here on my desk, some based on LM317 or servo regulated LM317/337 as well as a copy of a STUDER 900 line ultra-low noise regulated linear power (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.29.3b0b1802K9GgjT).

I will test these power supplies in the next weeks and measure the effect on the 50 and 100 Hz noise.

Last edited:
I made a mechanical and electrical "proof-of-concept", feeding the internal Bose power supply circuit directly with +/- 25 Volt DC from a LM317/LM337 based Servo Rectification Filter Power Supply Board. I used my spare Bose board for this test. It fits nicely.

Necessary changes: I unsoldered the two internal capacitors, since they are now obsolete when feeding directly with servo regulated DC 25 Volts instead of 20 Volts AC. In a later step, the rectifying diodes can be unsoldered. Currently, they allow blind connecting the + and - feed from the power supply without thinking about polarity. More changes are not necessary. These power supplies are available in good quality at Ali Express for less than 10 currency units.

LM317-337.jpgPre-regulated-PS-Proof-of-Concept.jpg

P.S.: The red glow in the picture is from two red power supply LEDs, not from some burning and melting components...

Last edited:
Some news.

BOSE did not care very much about power distribution. The Ground lines are sometimes very thin; and spread over the board like spaghetti. Same for the +/- 15 Volt lines. I enhanced the main lines with isolated copper wires to make them somewhat more strong. Especially on the Phono Board, the lines are very thin. And the JVC CD-4 board, connected via the Phono board, takes a lot of power!

Attachments

• LB-Power-Lines.jpg
    LB-Power-Lines.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • UB-Power-Lines.jpg
    UB-Power-Lines.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The "well known weak point" of the BOSE 4401 is now also under construction: The volume poti. I received suitable 7-pin connectors from Digikey and "reduced" them to 4-pin connectors. With these Gold plated connectors, I can exchange the different solutions for testing quite easily.

Beside the different ALPS (Fake) potis and stepped solutions, I have ordered some Texas Instrument PGA4311 based "High End 4-channel Volume Control Panels" from Ali. Inside the ALPS fake poti are - surprise - SMD resistors!

Attachments

• ALPS-4-Fake.jpg
    ALPS-4-Fake.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ALPS-Fake-Inside-SMD.jpg
    ALPS-Fake-Inside-SMD.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 0
  • China-Stepped-02.jpg
    China-Stepped-02.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ELMA.jpg
    ELMA.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 0
Since the BOSE is a real "4.0" device, a miniDSP DDRC88AB will do the conversion from 4.0 to 4.1 in future. The first Quad preamp with LFE channel and DIRAC Live room correction; between BOSE and Power amp.

Attachments

• miniDSP-DDRC88AB.jpg
    miniDSP-DDRC88AB.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
Some news.

BOSE did not care very much about power distribution. The Ground lines are sometimes very thin; and spread over the board like spaghetti. Same for the +/- 15 Volt lines. I enhanced the main lines with isolated copper wires to make them somewhat more strong. Especially on the Phono Board, the lines are very thin. And the JVC CD-4 board, connected via the Phono board, takes a lot of power!
I've encountered that problem before in digital logic boards in the 1990s. One soldered on extra ground wire made them work reliably. Did it help anything in your case?

Back