Boston S/T 1976 "Double Wally" RED stamped Promo pressing with huge poster

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have posted pics of this before but bear with me... I am pixelated cause it has a Promo RED stamp on the back cover and , of course it came with a really great huge poster, so I am guessing that this was some kinda promo.
I have several Columbia/Epic promo pressings and the norm is:
-GOLD stamp on rear cover
-White labels stating that it's a PROMO pressing
-white sticker with cuts in lower front cover
and none of these are present on this one.

The matrix/deadwax info does not correspond to the Promo pressing in Discogs, but it corresponds to a similar one from the same era.
Here are some deadwax pics along with the red promo stamp, which I had never seen before...(I DID ask our oracle, Quad Linda, but she could not shed any light on this...I know; it HAS been over 40 years!!!)
IMG_20210114_140330.jpg

IMG_20210114_140831.jpg

IMG_20210114_140846.jpg

IMG_20210114_141220.jpg

My main question is.....
Has ANYONE else seen or have a Columbia/Epic RED stamp Promo LP?..hell, or even the cool Promo poster?
Both seem totally legit and almost impossible to fake....

I've had lots of promos and I cannot remember a red stamping. Maybe a later promo sent to radio station to promote a later hit single from the LP?

I've had lots of promos and I cannot remember a red stamping. Maybe a later promo sent to radio station to promote a later hit single from the LP?
Thank you!
I worked at Tower in Boston and we saw a LOT of promos...I must admit I can't remember if I saw a RED one; it has been over 32 years now...

BTW, I posted this on Discogs and was told I was trying to HACK (whatever that means) the site by uploading FAKE photos...told the dumb*ss who wrote me that I am a "distinguished" member of the community with credits on several records on that site...
I mean, I know nowadays people are bored out of their skulls but, that this was a LEGIT record...what the hell did he think I was doing...PHOTOSHOPPING the promo seal RED?????
It's like mainstream science when someone comes up with something that does not fit their scheme, they deny it and do not accept it...one day someone ELSE will come up with a RED promo seal and he's gonna realize I was right!
Oh well, his loss!!!

Last edited:
I was a college rep for CBS when the first Boston album was released. The first issued promos have a timing strip on the front cover and a white promo label with "Demonstration Not For Sale" on the label. No poster included. Stamp on back is in upper left corner, gold lettering with "Demonstration Not For Sale". The fact that the label on your copy is the commercial orange label indicates that it is a later issue "created" by stamping the "NFS" on the cover. It is odd that the print is red AND that it is not on the upper corner. The included poster also is unusual. Radio station giveaway contest? CBS Canada maybe?
Little known fact - When the album was first released, commercial FM and Pop radio showed little interest. The College department was tasked with breaking the album so we kept pounding college radio stations for airplay. Once lots of college radio stations came onboard, commercial radio took a second look and ...well, ya know. Similar story with the first Eddie Money album. Two great victories for the college reps!

I was a college rep for CBS when the first Boston album was released. The first issued promos have a timing strip on the front cover and a white promo label with "Demonstration Not For Sale" on the label.

Do you know Ron McCarell? He was a CBS College Rep at the same time. Sold me all his Gold/Platinum awards for Born To Run, Pink Floyd Animals and many others from back then.

Wow, very interesting, guys, thanks for chiming in!!!

OK, for those of you who did not know (like me), Discogs only considers the GOLD stamped ones as PROMOS, the rest of them are considered "normal" (don't ask me).. all of this is hidden in one of those extremely lengthy disclaimers/rules that most people (like me) will never read...
Just saying...

I was a college rep for CBS when the first Boston album was released. The first issued promos have a timing strip on the front cover and a white promo label with "Demonstration Not For Sale" on the label. No poster included. Stamp on back is in upper left corner, gold lettering with "Demonstration Not For Sale". The fact that the label on your copy is the commercial orange label indicates that it is a later issue "created" by stamping the "NFS" on the cover. It is odd that the print is red AND that it is not on the upper corner. The included poster also is unusual. Radio station giveaway contest? CBS Canada maybe?
Little known fact - When the album was first released, commercial FM and Pop radio showed little interest. The College department was tasked with breaking the album so we kept pounding college radio stations for airplay. Once lots of college radio stations came onboard, commercial radio took a second look and ...well, ya know. Similar story with the first Eddie Money album. Two great victories for the college reps!
Great story!
I'll side with Cyber1 and say it's a special promo (College sounds right) cause I could not find anything else included in the package that would point to Canada (usually they have at least "Printed in CANADA" somewhere) or anything else...
Yeah , the poster is awesome, I had never seen anything so big (4' x 4' you said?? that's HUUGE), only a friend in College -we're talking 1982 here- who had a "Don't look back" Promo poster, similar in size as mine..he would NOT sell that thing!!!

I have a Japanese 1st pressing , not Boston which has a "Sample" stamped on it in dark blue that was rumored to be the same thing, a giveaway by contest to the public

Wow, very interesting, guys, thanks for chiming in!!!

OK, for those of you who did not know (like me), Discogs only considers the GOLD stamped ones as PROMOS, the rest of them are considered "normal" (don't ask me).. all of this is hidden in one of those extremely lengthy disclaimers/rules that most people (like me) will never read...
Just saying...
I seldom visit Discogs, but that's interesting.

I've handled a Perry Como promotional LP what was only die-punched (actually through the cover) without paint fill, and took up an entire corner of the cover. It was legit and came from someone who was once involved with RCA / Camden. Same as you, just saying...

Album cover blow-ups were 4'x4' (and that's what they were called - 4x4s) and used for merchandising and wall displays at record stores. That was another part of a college rep's job - Putting up displays in stores. That is what that Boston poster is so that points to the pairing as a special contest prize or something. That's cool to have.
I can't say as I recall Ron, but it has been more than a few years since those days.

Back