Bottom of Quad line: Sanyo question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Hello gang,
a friend of mine was having a look at some bottom-line quads for a project of modding, and he made me notice one really weird thing:

That's a Sanyo DXL 5485 front

s-l1600.jpg

Ant that's the rear connections:

s-l1600.jpg

Question is: how can it be that there is on the back a AUX in but there's NO AUX position in the input selector knob on the front?

Was just typing the same thing.
DISC meant something different in the 8-track years than today.
Would it have RIAA phono eq correction?

Since is named AUX on the back a line level for a ceramic cart of else is very likely, so no RIAA. A very likely candidate for a record player of the same level would be the typical BSR changer.

DISC might mean discrete - the tape player.

Maybe aux works when no tape is in the player.

What are the two switches on the right? The lettering is rubbed off.

There is no switch for selection of decoder. Was it RM, or maybe Dynaquad?

The two switches are Power and FM AFC, always handy to have them next to each other!

DISC would not be "discrete" There aren't enough inputs for four channel discrete. An inexpensive unit like this would have just had a basic universal decoder of minimum performance.

And, before CD's, LP's were called "Disks" and CD's , when they appeared, were called "Discs". A silly distinction but, there you have it.

Doug

Nothing says quality like chipboard.
A lot of old equipment from the sixties and early seventies used that type of pressed board on the back. RCA's were also common for speakers. My understanding is that it was latter thought a bad idea to use RCA's for speakers in case you accidentally plugged your expensive magnetic cartridge into the speaker jack by mistake. That was not a concern in the early days. If the Aux was intended for a ceramic cartridge then no RIAA equaliser or extra gain would be needed.

Sanyo home equipment might of been near bottom end, but I had Sanyo Q8 deck in my car that I thought was quite good.

Latter on they produced some higher end gear, I have a SuperD noise reduction system for my tape decks, it was similar to DBX but much better!

Last edited:
Back