Dual Disc Bought 4 "Flipper Discs" today! Scans provided!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bmoura said:
The David Bowie "Reality" Surround SACD has been available for some time now. Check the Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc web sites (among others) to order a copy.
Maybe, but I have NEVER seen this in a store, anywhere, and I DO look. This is not a great may for these formats to get "out there". They are just too much work to find, and if someone like ME cannot find them, how can someone who is just starting out find them.

JonUrban said:
Maybe, but I have NEVER seen this in a store, anywhere, and I DO look. This is not a great may for these formats to get "out there". They are just too much work to find, and if someone like ME cannot find them, how can someone who is just starting out find them.

I know the Reality SACD is available, because I bought a copy from Elusive Disc at the CES show last month.

narcopolo said:
I remembered the disks are only available in 2 states and I don't live there. Hmmmmm.

I gotta ask: what the hell's the point of a product rollout like this if it's not nationwide? This evening, before I read this post, I went to my Best Buy (Oceanside, CA) looking for these discs and left extremely frustrated that I found none.

Why bother introducing a format in only two states? They might as well just put the silver bullet in 'em now. And yeah, I'm pi**ed off. :mad:

Clark

I agree with you. I'd rather have 2 separate disks that one fat one! Too easy to scratch. There cant be that much of a price difference. Have there been any reported problems of the disk getting stuck in a tray or car single disk player?

FenderP said:
The discs were $12.88 at Newbury (NC's list price is going to be $16.99 if you're curious). I picked up the Fagen and the AC/DC. BTW, I did get the Fagen out of the slipcase - only took me 30 minutes. I got the Fagen just to get it as I have the DVD-A already.

I didn't see the Brubeck at the Newbury Comics I was in, either. Had I known it was pulled, I would have been looking for it. There was an empty slot on the display; my guess is it was the Brubeck. C'est la vie. I'll be on a hunt for that one tomorrow :)

Let me state up front I have both SA-CDs and DVD-As. Some good in both formats, some bad in both formats. Overall, I prefer the experience and sound of SACD, but when done right, DVD-A is great (a la Fagen DVD-As and the Queen ones).

I thought from the get-go the idea of a flippy disc (well, it's name is DualDisc) is horrible. Prone to scratching, etc. I was proven right as I opened the AC/DC case and it slipped right out without me touching it, scratching the CD encoded side. Didn't happen on the Fagen. I prefer the old lift-lock cases or the SA-CD cases - or even std. CD cases - over these. I can see the push in button on the case breaking, and try to find a replacement.

IMHO, this is not the answer to hybrid SA-CD. Confusing format for normal consumers and the hi-rez folks. More fragile, as there is content on both sides so you need to handle the discs much more carefully then even you would normally. I hate flippy DVDs, and hate these even more.

Since Sony is behind SACD, the AC/DC is only 48 kHz on the DVD side. Give that one a "why bother". I had compatibility issues in my computer DVD-ROM/CD-R trying to read the CD later, but a normal CD player I put it into had no problem. The DVD AC/DC content worked in the drive fine.

The Fagen had the slipcase from hell. You've heard about the grip of death SA-CD cases, welcome to the grip of death slipcase. Other than that, I haven't popped it in - no real need. This was purely a collection disc.

I would rather have a hybrid SA-CD with redbook and hi-rez for audio, packaged with a separate DVD for video content. Or a redbook CD with either a DVD-A or DVD-V for video and/or hi-rez. I'd pay a few extra bucks for both in one package.

I was also approached by a marketing guy and took the survey. It was mainly about the display (for the most part). I got my $5, too. Woo hoo! Although he had no clue about the format or hi-rez in general. Didn't know what SACD or DVD-A was. Need I say more. I also asked why Boston and Seattle, and he didn't know either.

After I came home, I took the online survey. Some similar questions, but it is more centered around the format. I was very honest and in a few spots told them I hope it dies a quick death. I mean, what are they thinking? Sony confuising folks because they think they're supporting DVD-A (which they aren't), Warner pushing another format when they're trying to still get DVD-A off teh ground, etc. You get the point. Every labels have two fledgling formats without needing a new one (some supporting both DVD-A and SACD).

I don't see this format lasting long at all, so if you want some discs to collect, snap 'em up now!

ClarkNovak said:
I gotta ask: what the hell's the point of a product rollout like this if it's not nationwide? This evening, before I read this post, I went to my Best Buy (Oceanside, CA) looking for these discs and left extremely frustrated that I found none.

Why bother introducing a format in only two states? They might as well just put the silver bullet in 'em now. And yeah, I'm pi**ed off. :mad:

Clark
Looks like a greedy ebay seller has the "rare" AC/DC disk for a minimum price of $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2595438693

real greedy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2595311774

Consider the longview

It can be frustrating, but it's the best way to identify issues and build confidence before taking root fully in the real world. This is far easier to control than a 50 state roll-out that develops a serious problem.

What is troubling is the lack of education on DualDisc in the featured stores and the high pricing that will skew the sales negatively.

Seems to me if you see either the words 'Advanced Resolution' or the DVD-A logo,
you can assume there's a DVD-A layer on there. Otherwise, not.

Question: what do the two sides of the disc look like? Is it easy to tell the CD side
from the DVD side?

Of the four that I bought, only the Fagen did not have the style inner ring that is shown in the flyer (the first scan). Let me put it this way, I had to put on my glasses to tell which side was which! :(

You mean, on the ones that *did* have the inner ring indicator, it was too small to read without your glasses? Wasn't the red/blue coloring clearly visible?

ssully said:
You mean, on the ones that *did* have the inner ring indicator, it was too small to read without your glasses? Wasn't the red/blue coloring clearly visible?
No, Only the Fagen needed glasses! :D The others were MUCH easier to see, with large rings and text. The Fagen has the tine text and tiny rings very similar to the dual sided WB DVD-Vs with the widescreen on one side and the PAS on the other.

JNewberg said:
The Brubeck is in 5.1 & stereo. The video has 2 interviews with Dave Brubeck, one of which lets you choose from 4 different camera angles watching modern-day Dave play.

Any followup on what the surround format of the Brubeck is? (Dolby Digital, I assume) And what format the stereo is in (24 bit, I can hope....?)

Thanks!

Check the competed listings. There have been about 20+ DualDiscs sold on eBay for around $50 each!!

JonUrban said:
Check the competed listings. There have been about 20+ DualDiscs sold on eBay for around $50 each!!

Where is that thing called patience? OR are people buying because they believe the "flipper" is doomed technonlogy.

robertawillisjr said:
Where is that thing called patience? OR are people buying because they believe the "flipper" is doomed technonlogy.

Either way, if the folks at WEA and Sony are paying attention, it might tell them there's a market for these things, even at rapacious prices.

... on second thought, better they didn't know that! :eek:

if the only distribution of these is thru ebay the format won't last long, and who wants to pay $40 ? what's the chances of finding the hot titles like ac/dc and brubeck in any stores at this point (even if you visit the correct stores).

Has everybody forgotten that DVD Video also had it's beginnings in test markets from March 1997 until the wide release in the Fall of 1997?

eBay is full of opportunists (like myself on occasion) who recognize a contemporary shortage and put "rare" items up on auctions and let the public (knowledgeable) or otherwise duke it out to own them. Doubing if these 13 titles become collector's items anyway, but maybe to someone...

The purpose of the test period is not to tease or annoy potential consumers, it is to make sure they don't annoy real consumers when it goes mainstream. These tests are fraught with issues ($18.99 pricing, placement within store, miniscule titles), but this is very much the way DVD Video was launched. Better to identify problems in advance and in fewer locations.

Having said all this, I just want high resolution SURROUND music, with or without std CD layer or on separate disc and if these tests are the hoops we have to jump through first, so be it. How we choose to react is up to each of us. Remember, we are the converted and this product is not on most consumer's radar anytime soon.

timbre4 said:
Has everybody forgotten that DVD Video also had it's beginnings in test markets from March 1997 until the wide release in the Fall of 1997?

eBay is full of opportunists (like myself on occasion) who recognize a contemporary shortage and put "rare" items up on auctions and let the public (knowledgeable) or otherwise duke it out to own them. Doubing if these 13 titles become collector's items anyway, but maybe to someone...

The purpose of the test period is not to tease or annoy potential consumers, it is to make sure they don't annoy real consumers when it goes mainstream. These tests are fraught with issues ($18.99 pricing, placement within store, miniscule titles), but this is very much the way DVD Video was launched. Better to identify problems in advance and in fewer locations.

Having said all this, I just want high resolution SURROUND music, with or without std CD layer or on separate disc and if these tests are the hoops we have to jump through first, so be it. How we choose to react is up to each of us. Remember, we are the converted and this product is not on most consumer's radar anytime soon.
Fortunately there was a renegade store in the area that stocked the Warners DVDs during the test period even though I did not live in the test area. My first dvd was Blazing Saddles. Now that all the small stores have been taken over by large corps. there's not much of that going on anymore though. I'd sure like to pick up some of those dualdiscs, but not for $40....

Well, I finally made it to Best Buy and they had the DualDisc display right in front. I snatched up one of each of the ten titles they had. The guy working the floor of the audio section chatted with me a bit about the discs. He was very knowledgeable about all the hi-rez formats but was especially eager to push DualDisc. It looks like they finally figured out that education on the format is going to be key if it is to succeed.

I could live quite happily without another hi-rez/surround format, but if this is what it takes to get hi-rez/surround-sound to the masses, well, I guess I can live with it. My only complaint about the format is that there is no guarantee that a DualDisc title will have hi-rez content, surround content, or both. I mean, at least one title (Good Charlotte - Sony title, of course) has only video content with neither hi-rez nor surround-sound.

Despite the fact that they've obviously attempted to standardize the labeling with that little DualDisc feature bar, it often does not tell the full story. It takes a lot of reading to determine just what the heck is really on the disc, and even then, whose to say they got it right? Short story: they have not cracked the labeling problem.

I dunno... since DualDiscs are the same price as CD's, I guess there is some added value for the CD buyer, and they're probably not really going to care exactly what the "extras" are, since it is all essentially just icing for them. I mean, it’s like when I buy a music CD that just happens to come with a bonus DVD. I mean, I’m like “oh, neat-o, but that’s not why I bought the disc.” Unfortunately, I think the hi-rez/surround-sound aficionados are going to get short end of the stick on this one.

The one thing that really brought be down was the fact that "Back In Black" does not have a surround-sound track! I was really looking forward to hearing it in surround. Ah well, at least there is hi-rez stereo...

If these test market titles are any indication, I would surmise that DualDisc is going to induce even more confusion for fans of hi-rez/surround-sound. However, it is a very flexible format with the potential to add substantial value for the average music consumer.

narcopolo said:
if the only distribution of these is thru ebay the format won't last long, and who wants to pay $40 ? what's the chances of finding the hot titles like ac/dc and brubeck in any stores at this point (even if you visit the correct stores).

Wow, 40 bucks? The Best Buy I visited had like 20 copies of "Back In Black". Maybe I should grab 'em up and start a side business... nah, don't have the time! :cool:

Back